Why become a member? ×

WAL Custom Fretless Four String 1986 MK1 - Sale now on hold due to discussions with potential buyer
£7000
Suffolk

Gabrielle

I'm selling this bass on behalf of my husband ......who has just gone down the pub against my advice 🤣 Only kidding! But I AM selling this 1986 fretless bass. The condition is good bearing in mind the bass is 37 years old and has been gigged within an inch of its life. No major dings just minor buckle rash. Just what you'd expect from a well loved, well played instrument. There is a fault on the main volume switch in that it keeps 'going round' and doesn't stop at top volume. This has been an issue for decades and is just part of its charm. And anyway, no-ones perfect are they? (Except me, of course!) 

Full specs available on WAL website but the important stuff is that it is walnut facings and ebony fretboard.  

Any questions, just ask away...preferably before closing time.😁

* Price came via web search which revealed a range of prices for this model / age and I have pitched it 'in the middle'. Inspection & offers more than welcome.

Thanks for reading! 

20230920_182929.jpg

20230920_182921.jpg

20230920_183007.jpg

20230920_183113.jpg

20230920_183019.jpg

Wal.jpg

• Like 28

Many thanks for your kind words gentlemen - they're much appreciated.

And thank you Shaggy for pointing out the wood may be maple. I was told it was American walnut....but I appreciate your thoughts hugely. In the interest of transparency, if anyone knows whether it's walnut or maple, do let me know. I want the listing to be 100% accurate. 🥰

And I forgot to say, I would consider shipping the bass overseas, pending cost. Just message me and I'll always see what I can do to oblige.

Take care all!

Gaby

1 hour ago, Gabrielle said:

Many thanks for your kind words gentlemen - they're much appreciated.

And thank you Shaggy for pointing out the wood may be maple. I was told it was American walnut....but I appreciate your thoughts hugely. In the interest of transparency, if anyone knows whether it's walnut or maple, do let me know. I want the listing to be 100% accurate. 🥰

And I forgot to say, I would consider shipping the bass overseas, pending cost. Just message me and I'll always see what I can do to oblige.

Take care all!

Gaby

It's a lovely bass and I imagine sounds and plays incredibly.

If you remove the plastic plate at the back, you should find a label with some details on it. It's likely to be handwritten and look like this. That should tell you what the wood was, its birthday, and satisfy a potential buyer. (I don't want to patronise you if you know about instruments, but unscrewing this won't cause any issues, expose wiring, or result in any damage).

images.jpg

• Like 1

Aww...thank you Burns-bass. It certainly is a lovely bass and sounds fab. 🥰

I should have looked under the plate prior to listing.... but my Black & Decker needed recharging 😉😆And no worries, you haven't patronised me at all. You're being helpful, & that's appreciated.

All the best,

Gaby

And I thought Versace was tacky! 😆 Hellzero... you could have aimed a wee bit higher and gone for Waitrose. It's a bit like offering Jaco a Walmart GOATOTE!  Bless you, if that's all you have to offer.... It's Chanel or nothing 😂

I appreciate your interest. Take care,

Gaby 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Good evening all!

You'll be saddened to know that my so called 'rechargeable' Black & Decker failed to charge. However, after finding a crowbar in the shed, the back plate was removed (eventually) and I can now confirm that the wood is..........wait for it..........drum roll please...........stained sycamore! Who'd have thought? 🌳😐

I can't thank you enough for the interest you've shown in the Wal. And in terms of some additional information, your lovely questions have prompted me to share some details I neglected to mention previously. Here we go.....

1. With regard to the volume knob, my husband has said that he has never attempted to get this fixed. Trust me, that sounds about right given we've had a very wobbly toilet seat for at least four years...and I'm still waiting to sit comfortably! 😆

2. The bass was signed off in February 1986 by Pete the Fish. 🐟(I confess, I did raise an impeccably manicured eyebrow at that news...and yes, before you ask, I did Google it before making this posting at the risk of you all pointing at me and laughing! 🤣)

and

3. The bass would be sent / shipped in an old gawdy Versace bag I happen to have lying around....hmm...it might not fit, so best I send it with a soft Fender case instead. (The original hard case went to the great Bass Gallery in the sky before the millenium) 

As ever, I am appreciative of the interest and support shown to ensure this instrument goes to a worthy new home.

Gaby

• Like 6

• Gabrielle changed the title to WAL Custom Fretless Four String 1986 MK1 - Sale now on hold due to discussions with potential buyer

Good morning you lovely people!

Just to update you all, the bass is now potentially sold.....pending some fine details. Obviously, if circumstances change I'll be the first to let you know and relist.

Can I thank the Bass Chat community for all the interest, passion & support for this bass. This bass has been in my husbands life for 37yrs....I've only been in his for 35! 😁😍So it means a lot to have you all helping to make this transition go so smoothly. 

I'll keep you posted!

Kindest regards,

Gaby

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Well my bass community chums! 

I can now confirm this gorgeous Wal is now on its way to Chicago....to a wonderful soul who I know will cherish it.

Once again, many thanks for all your support and help with providing this bass with its new chapter........

And if anyone does find a Chanel handbag lying around without a home, you know who to contact 🥰

Wishing you all peace & love,

Gaby

• Like 7