Why become a member? ร—

Set up issue ๐Ÿ˜•

Brian18242

I know it's very hard to see from the photos, but the strings on my newly equired bass are sitting VERY high from the fretboard.ย 

ย 

The bridge saddles are set as low as they can go so I'm assuming it's a truss rod issue. If it helps, I would say the neck is sitting at a more forward angle (if that makes sense?)

ย 

I have limited knowledge on set ups, but before sending to a shop, I'm wondering if there is an easier option to correct it myself? I'm always very nervous about truss rod adjustmentsย 

DSC_0571.JPG

DSC_0570.JPG

Forward Angle... Saddles on the deck...

Needs a shim in the back of the neck pocket.

Truss Rod isn't the the thing to fix what you describe...

Hold the E on the 1st fret and say the 12th or 17th... to act as a straight edge against the neck

Should be a Business Card / Credit Card gap called the 'Relief' between bottom of string and the top of the 7th, 9th fret... take a look... this is what the truss rod adjusts.

Slight Shim in the neck pocket will angle the neck back, and mean the saddles need to be raised, allowing the action to be set.

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 2

Thy look pretty high even at the headstock end of the neck so maybe the nut isnโ€™t cut low enough or the strings arenโ€™t sitting in it properly.ย 
ย 

Or do they get further away as you go up the neck and the first few frets feel ok?

Certainly looks like the height of the strings at the nut is high.ย  ย Just checked my 2 fretted basses and the E String is significantly less than 1mm above the fretboard adjacent to the nut with the string fretted between the 2 and 3rd fret.ย  ย Check out the official guidance on the internet, but yours looks a lot higher.ย  Maybe the slots need adjusting or the Nut might be too high overall - both jobs might be best done by a guitar tech or at least someone with proper nut slot files.ย  Good Luck!ย  Be interested to hear how you get on.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in Wishaw.ย  If you are near-ish, I could have a look at it.ย 

ย 

p.s.ย  I note the nut is not fully located to the bottom of the slot.ย  Personally, I'd get back in touch with the vendor & get a replacement.ย  G.

ย 

Edited by geoffbyrne

On 20/09/2023 at 21:15, PaulThePlug said:

Forward Angle... Saddles on the deck...

Needs a shim in the back of the neck pocket.

Truss Rod isn't the the thing to fix what you describe...

Hold the E on the 1st fret and say the 12th or 17th... to act as a straight edge against the neck

Should be a Business Card / Credit Card gap called the 'Relief' between bottom of string and the top of the 7th, 9th fret... take a look... this is what the truss rod adjusts.

Slight Shim in the neck pocket will angle the neck back, and mean the saddles need to be raised, allowing the action to be set.

A gap the size of the thickness of a credit card would indicate way too much relief, business card is more like it, a significant difference.ย 

ย 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash