Why become a member? ×

Anyone Else Keep Lists of Gigs and Memorabilia From The Bands They've Been In?

Linus27

Got all the old demo tapes and CDs, press kits, and a bunch of flyers. Also got most of the magazines we got reviewed in, the programme from when we played Bloodstock 2003, and a bunch of backstage passes.

I was thinking of making a display case with stuff from each band, but never quite got around to it. 

Something I did with all my old photos was put together a photobook with a section for each band. Bonusprint has a great program that you can download and let's you import your photos and has lots of superb effects and editing tools. Once you have created it, you then ping the order off and they will print it up. You can choose book size, hardback/softback, glossy how many pages and all manner of effects. It's up to you on how creative you want to be but it's super easy to use and a book of about 140 pages was about £120.

As I've played for 37 years, I cant get all the bands in one book, so book 1 is from 1987 to 2012, book 2 which I am working on now is 2017 - 2020 and book 3 is from 2020 onwards. Maybe they'll be a book 4 depending on how much longer I keep playing for.

20230923_000905.thumb.jpg.94c546ef7f8ab466991e9a71ab6ce0a6.jpg

20230923_000932.thumb.jpg.4a1ffba610d3ff6a721724809fd4f506.jpg

20230923_001011.thumb.jpg.4d489c0cd8d2dbbacf842df904f03663.jpg

20230923_001024.thumb.jpg.dcc6ca83f2d237511ddc1bf1cdc3d171.jpg

20230923_001036.thumb.jpg.660a2ca8e8a6aab36a7c8ca17dd06ce3.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Thump said:

You spelled "coincide" wrong in the book

Sounds like quite a few people here have lots of stories to share

The only book i've been in was the phone book.

I know, I think there's about 3 spelling mistakes in the book, and to think I had it proof read by two other people.

I used to be a bit of a squirrel and keep things from my hobbies and jobs.

What changed my mind was doing house clearances for deceased family members. It’s a gruelling burden that I decided I didn’t want to subject my children to. So, I’ve had a big clear-out and I’m now very strict about what I keep.

It’s a sobering thought that stuff we felt was important to keep will one day be recycled or thrown away with barely a second glance.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Len_derby said:

I used to be a bit of a squirrel and keep things from my hobbies and jobs.

What changed my mind was doing house clearances for deceased family members. It’s a gruelling burden that I decided I didn’t want to subject my children to. So, I’ve had a big clear-out and I’m now very strict about what I keep.

It’s a sobering thought that stuff we felt was important to keep will one day be recycled or thrown away with barely a second glance.

That reminds me of this that I read the other day,

'Have you ever thought about this? In 100 years like in 2123 we will all be buried with our relatives and friends. Strangers will live in our homes we fought so hard to build, and they will own everything we have today. All our possessions will be unknown and unborn, including the car we spent a fortune on, and will probably be scrap, preferably in the hands of an unknown collector. Our descendants will hardly or hardly know who we were, nor will they remember us. How many of us know our grandfather's father? After we die, we will be remembered for a few more years, then we are just a portrait on someone's bookshelf, and a few years later our history, photos and deeds disappear in history's oblivion. We won't even be memories. If we paused one day to analyze these questions, perhaps we would understand how ignorant and weak the dream to achieve it all was. If we could only think about this, surely our approaches, our thoughts would change, we would be different people. Always having more, no time for what's really valuable in this life. I'd change all this to live and enjoy the walks I've never taken, these hugs I didn't give, these kisses for our children and our loved ones, these jokes we didn't have time for. Those would certainly be the most beautiful moments to remember, after all they would fill our lives with joy. And we waste it day after day with greed, greed and intolerance.'
Anon

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Linus27 said:

Something I did with all my old photos was put together a photobook with a section for each band. Bonusprint has a great program that you can download and let's you import your photos and has lots of superb effects and editing tools. Once you have created it, you then ping the order off and they will print it up. You can choose book size, hardback/softback, glossy how many pages and all manner of effects. It's up to you on how creative you want to be but it's super easy to use and a book of about 140 pages was about £120.

I did this too. I had so many bits of paper and printed photos floating around that I decided to digitise them in 2019 - the 30th anniversary of my first gig. I do a lot of trekking and keep diaries, turning them and the photos into journals that I get into photobooks. So I decided to do this with the band memorabilia too. I used 'Blurb' as I like their design options and the quality is good. During lockdown it became a project to write a narrative to link all the photos and posters etc and I ended up with this:

P1100888.JPG.94da396fcedc04c9a90d74ff6a47c6dc.JPG  P1100889.JPG.77fc8144b1ddbd021233dec736c587f3.JPG

P1100890.JPG.a9708b807df214b6785d96cc5755b27c.JPGP1100891.JPG.187bfc062594924b55ac844086a649c4.JPG

I'm actually part way through the updated version now.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Linus27 said:

That reminds me of this that I read the other day,

'Have you ever thought about this? In 100 years like in 2123 we will all be buried with our relatives and friends. Strangers will live in our homes we fought so hard to build, and they will own everything we have today. All our possessions will be unknown and unborn, including the car we spent a fortune on, and will probably be scrap, preferably in the hands of an unknown collector. Our descendants will hardly or hardly know who we were, nor will they remember us. How many of us know our grandfather's father? After we die, we will be remembered for a few more years, then we are just a portrait on someone's bookshelf, and a few years later our history, photos and deeds disappear in history's oblivion. We won't even be memories. If we paused one day to analyze these questions, perhaps we would understand how ignorant and weak the dream to achieve it all was. If we could only think about this, surely our approaches, our thoughts would change, we would be different people. Always having more, no time for what's really valuable in this life. I'd change all this to live and enjoy the walks I've never taken, these hugs I didn't give, these kisses for our children and our loved ones, these jokes we didn't have time for. Those would certainly be the most beautiful moments to remember, after all they would fill our lives with joy. And we waste it day after day with greed, greed and intolerance.'
Anon

I have a lot of photos from travel and trekking and during a reflective moment I was thinking along the same lines. But I understand that the British Library are occasionally interested in collections of diaries and journals from us normal folk and I have plans to contact them to see if this is indeed the case. After all, the quote above can also be taken as a call to preserve some of those possessions, memories and histories.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

I used to keep a gig list of the last 7 years, but I had moved it onto the cloud only and I accidently deleted it during lockdown and didn't notice it for over 3 months (which is how long it stays in the bin). Since then I haven't bothered

Always have a backup. And back that up too.

I only ever use online services as backup, I always have two offline backups.

Mark