Why become a member? ×

Identify this bass , HELP!

Aca018

Hello Bass people i am glad that i got acepted again to join the group on this new profile. I need a little help with this bass. I came across it in Serbia for 50e and i did buy it . I lookted for maker mark and some serial number but there is nothing on it (under pickups and everywhere). Bass plays beutyful and all works on it , it has that 80s viber and it is very funky. Controls are tone/volume/volume and two way position switch , bass is passive ant there is a lot off brass parts on it. Can someone identify the model of this  bass or some part of it ? Thanks !

viber_image_2023-09-14_10-32-15-110.jpg

Edited by Aca018
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Aca018 said:

Hello Bass people i am glad that i got acepted again to join the group on this new profile. I need a little help with this bass. I came across it in Serbia for 50e and i did buy it . I lookted for maker mark and some serial number but there is nothing on it (under pickups and everywhere). Bass plays beutyful and all works on it , it has that 80s viber and it is very funky. Controls are tone/volume/volume and two way position switch , bass is passive ant there is a lot off brass parts on it. Can someone identify the model of this  bass or some part of it ? Thanks !

viber_image_2023-09-14_10-32-15-110.jpg

...looks like it might have been inspired by the Hohner B2A - reasonably close body shape and control set (but obviously not the hardware, or active part)

Several manufacturers had close takes on this but nothing identical it seems

Oops - and greetings from Southern UK !

HohnerHeadless.png.b595a747c202bc58e19743b713cbf872.png

Edited by sandy_r
  • Like 1

On first impressions I'd put my 50p on that being a hand-made one off.

That bridge/tuner system appears to be basically two 4-string bridges mounted together, maybe a replacement for a missing/broken & unobtainable original part:

HeadlessOne-OffBridge.jpg.9c307b5c27442968ca34ed6c86e3d920.jpg

One similar to this:

qjj7dqu1pxh5a4kcqocl.jpg

...and something like this, modified as string retainer/tuner:

jyp35dz36sixrdl5n9vg_2000x.jpg?v=1687810603

The string clampling solution is perhaps a little inelegant, but that's otherwise a great improvised headless system.

Edited by Bassassin
  • Like 5

Thanks for posting that Bridge was not made for regular strings that pic was taken just as i got it. I replaced strings with doble ball string that ment to go on it. Previous owner just hang it on the wall and used that electric clamps to hold regular strings. And that first bridge has roler on it so i think that is factory made.

Edited by Aca018

Thank you all for comments , a respected guitar builder identfy this bass as hand made one with qualty parts , pickups are Schaller , nek is from Hohner bass as well as pots, bridges are from Epiphone bass converted to headless model and there are some bits that are also from other basses. Hoever bass plays well and it has great 80s sound . Thank you all! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Aca018 said:

But there is a same bridge on a lot of Melodija Worich bass.

big-157185814_650ca2e74edc68-047628986adeec53-a28d-4.webp

Same pickups as yours, by the looks.

I suspect that suggests this is also the manufacturer of your bass. A quick Google of Melodija Worich brings up a green version of the above bass (which looks a bit inspired by Yamaha's BX-1) on a Talkbass thread:

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/need-help-p-beginners-questions.844571/

Same tuners/bridge. I think Melodija Worich probably improvised this system around existing conventional bridges.

• Like 3