Why become a member? ×

Replacement 10 inch bass speakers

Skezza

I have an Ashdown 2x 10 which I want to replace the speakers.

It is a lightweight cab of 250 watts I would like to replace the speakers and turn it into a 400watt or even more powerful cab as I use this cab with a Genz Benz shuttle 6 and its a nice sized rig for the gigs I do.

So what do people recommend as an affordable 10 inch speaker of 250 watts or more to get 8 ohm load and still be relatively light.

I have never bought speakers (outside cabinets ) before, so the name of a shop would also help

Speak to Dave Green at Ashdown as he normally recommends Eminence speakers but he can advise etc

As said already cab design and internal volume, sealed or ported all play a part in the right speaker selection

Personally I wouldn’t waste £200+ on speakers I would but a better cab perhaps a 4 ohm cab ? 

They may be heavier but the sound improvements would be worth it 

I use the Ampeg SVT212AV cab which is heavy and expensive but sounds amazing with all amps 

The Fender Rumble cabs are low priced and decent plus light so that’s an option 

Replacing drivers is both a science and an art, and if you don't know what you're doing you shouldn't attempt it. For instance, the 250 watt rating of your cab is thermal. In most cases what limits a cab's output isn't the thermal rating, it's the mechanical rating. You could load it with a pair of 300 watt drivers that have no more mechanical capacity than what you have now. How would you know? You have to be an expert to make that determination. IMO if you want to get the most possible from a 2x10 and you're not an expert spend the money and get a Barefaced. They have the highest mechanical capacity available.

• Like 6