Why become a member? ×

Calling Trace Elliot experts

michele

I have had my AH250SMX since new in early 90s, which is probably all you need to know(!) Not actually heavy, extremely versatile head and can be very loud depending on cab choice so good for practice through to gig. I mostly leave it turned fully to valve preamp, but you can blend them.

The one modification I made was a TE-supplied transformer to balance the XLR DI out, which was originally not balanced.

Still love it and use it.

Those AH200 Series 6 are great heads. 

I have the 350. Heavy but powerful. 

Another favourite is actually the MKV AH250 you mentioned above. Really strong mids. Always found the Series 6 to be a cleaner sound than the MKV. Both great though. Happy hunting. 20230913_124844.thumb.jpg.50e609634a98d0c7575ff7c786127d75.jpg

Edited by LennyP
Error

4 hours ago, VTypeV4 said:

@Kiwi The V4 MK2 combos are a little later than the '90s and are from around 2001. The V-Type combos from the 1990s were hybrids featuring the original V-Type pre-amp and the 250 / 300w SS output stage. Early green 'pimple' tolex ones only came as 1x15 although the later green furr examples also came as 4x8 (model 4808) using Celestion BG8-60 drivers. Again, like most Trace combos, they're horribly heavy but sound great.

cheers!  my memory was a bit hazy.  I've come into contact with at least three of the 1x15 V4 combos, one of which was in really rough state but up for sale.  I think someone else on the forum eventually snagged it from a studio in SE London and started restoring it.

2 hours ago, LennyP said:

Those AH200 Series 6 are great heads. 

I couldn't get on with mine and sold it.  It wasn't doing the Mk V thing, too coloured.

• Like 1

Of the less rare and esoteric Trace amps, an SMX with the big EQ and dual band compressor is a great tool. As mentioned a few posts back, the compact 250 / 300w heads are a great compromise in terms of size, power and capability - arguably the best all rounder in my opinion. The bigger 350 / 400w head is a better amp overall with it's more comprehensive I/O, greater power and the unquestionably cool ultraviolet lamp but it's notably larger and heavier than it's sibling.

The 7-band models with the compressor (GP-7 SMC) and late model GP-7 were very good too - I personally much preferred these to the preceeding SM range which I found a little anemic somehow. Both the 712-SMC and late model 715 combo I had a few years back were decent - I felt the 715 was probably better than the 300SM head possibly owing to that compressor. 

4 hours ago, Kiwi said:

cheers!  my memory was a bit hazy.  I've come into contact with at least three of the 1x15 V4 combos, one of which was in really rough state but up for sale.  I think someone else on the forum eventually snagged it from a studio in SE London and started restoring it.

All good - hope it got put back together. 😃

Asked the guy if the AH200 was recently serviced and answer was of course “no”. He said it works perfectly, no volume drops but admitted “there’s some rustle” (i don’t know the nature of it… could be the crappy Peavey 15 cab the head’s connected with? i dont know….)

Noise reduction button missed but he claims it works…

Wants 200 euros for it..

Fact is I recently relocated and I know no tech here. Me? I can barely turn the  TV on 😜

Here it is however. What do you think?34B0A87A-463C-4536-96F0-E80B3389EE6D.thumb.png.b28f1ce94d628e5010edac07b776b7de.png

1 hour ago, michele said:

Asked the guy if the AH200 was recently serviced and answer was of course “no”. He said it works perfectly, no volume drops but admitted “there’s some rustle” (i don’t know the nature of it… could be the crappy Peavey 15 cab the head’s connected with? i dont know….)

Wants 200 euros for it..

Here it is however.  What do you think?

Looks to me like that lid has been off a LOT of times - are the lid screws even still there?

Plenty dust, looks like It hasn't been used in a long time - why?

I wouldn't buy it without a long and loud demo - in my presence!

In fact, if it was me looking for a TE amp, I think I would keep looking for one in better condition

....just my 2 cents...

Edited by sandy_r

On 14/09/2023 at 04:29, michele said:

Wants 200 euros for it..

Here it is however. What do you think?

Rustling needs more context.  If he means when the controls are operated, it could mean dirty pots - an easy fix with cleaner.  If the amp rustles without moving anything about, it could be the power caps need some attention.  Also relatively simple but needs an amp tech for safety reasons.  

Guys, I’ve reconsidered the GP7 150 SM….

I’ve made an offer and the seller lowered to 290 euros… it’s a new in box never used amp. Something that stayed on the shelf for the last 20+ 
I’m seriously tempted to pull the trigger… 150 trace watts into the very efficient Accugroove cab should be a nice home rig and could serve me well in the occasional small venue gig, or not?

It could be a lesser if an amp but at least hasn’t been trashed/abused etc…

It's an intruiging potential purchase...a time machine Trace Elliot amp from around 20-25 years ago. I assume if its being sold 'as new" it would come with a full warranty? My AH250 GP11 bought for £60 off eBay came with its original price tag still on the back panel from LiveWire Music in Cardiff where I assume it was first sold as new for £599 in 1985. That was a lot of cash back then and I suppose still is today. In real terms it would be almost £1800 in todays money. If a time machine AH250 GP11 came up for sale now would I pay £599? Probably not and definitely not £1800.  290 euros does seem a lot for even a pristine GP7 SM150 thats being sold as never used. They are good amps though, well made and all the major parts like caps and output devices are easily available so they can easliy be repaired by a decent tech. 290 euros will also buy you a reasonably powered brand new lightweight bass head and even some conventional class A/B heads with superior output and you'd be getting a full manufacturers warranty with a new amp. I guess its maybe better buying a never used pristine GP7 SM if its a Trace Elliot itch that needs scratched than a used one with maybe a thousand gigs under its belt and no service history. Something like an Elf may not be a bad idea, but there are other brand new amps around for around 300 euros that may be worth considering if it doesn't need to be a Trace Elliot.

That SM is literally perfect - it's possibly the last 'new' one in existence.. I thought I was lucky when I bought my V4 at the end of 2003 when it too was NOS let alone 20 years later! 😃

I concur with most of the previous comments - you could get a more modern amp with more features and power for the money. An ELF may have the Trace badge on it and judging by posts on here, it does something akin to the Trace sound but that's about as far as it goes whereas that AH150 is definitely a 'real' one. Despite it's modest power rating, it will probably be surprisingly loud as that 715 (1x15" combo) I had (with the same or at least very similar power amp) played very loudly - I never ran out of steam.