Why become a member? ×

NBD Sire V5R 24 fret - pick up / bridge/ tuners recommendations

Duroc17

I fancied a jazz as got bored of the P thing for now 

So liked the look of the new Sire - had the P5 and was ok so wasn’t expecting to love this Jazz as much as I do. This neck just begs to be played - been playing it for about 3 hours so far - stopped for tea

anyways I reckon I’ll through so money at this. The pups are pretty good - but what do you reckon would be an upgrade? Fender custom, Lindy Fralin - I played a ash body Fender for about 15 years - but it’s been about 8 years since I played a jazz and there’s lots of pickup options now

also any lightweight tuners that’d fit - also bridges but don’t mind this bridge and don’t want to start drilling all over

thr only thing I don’t like is the poly finish. Wire wool it when TI flats arrive 

Well done Sire - this neck is a very nice thing!IMG_8510.thumb.jpeg.6fd711e3499e2756b108c0dacd888cd2.jpeg

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, ebenezer said:

Very much like the look of these!......whats it like weight wise?

About 9lbs - which feels ok on a strap- it’s one of those basses you enjoy playing. The neck is great 👍 seriously considering gigging this over my Gibson 

I had a Gotoh 404 on my Sire which was much better than the stock bridge and retains through body stringing as an option, you do need to drill extra holes but it's easy enough. For tuners I had Schallers which again need new holes drilling (not visible if you put the stock tuners back on), great tuners but no weight saving. I'd probably get licensed Ultralites if I had another.

I also put Nordstrand NJ pickups in mine although the Sire Gen2 pickups (with the Marcus logo) are superb anyway, tbh the oroginal Gen1 ones were great as well but I like Nords and some came up cheap!

• Like 1

From previous conversations on here there's been different tuners on Sire basses, mine (a pretty early Gen1 V7) had very cheap ones which were ok but a noticeable step down from what I was used to. Other posters had some very nice Grover clones with a grub screw at the bottom.

Basically if they look like this with the grub screw at the bottom then there's no need to upgrade other that weight saving (pic courtesy of Bassassain):
MMV7tuners.thumb.JPG.5a4077890f62cfbe093

If they look like this then it's worth rectifying (unfortunately my pic)

IMG_20220723_160502.thumb.jpg.c93db732ba

• Thanks 1

On 01/09/2023 at 14:58, Jamieboy said:

Saw a video of lowendlobster saying the gotoh GB528 tuners are a lightweight drop in replacement for sires which doesn't require any drilling. Considering them for my P5.

Yes, the GB528s are a good fit for most far eastern Fender style basses. I fitted the GB640s to my Aerodyne only later finding that the GB528s were almost a drop-in replacement. Too late, as I had already drilled out the headstock. I ordered mine through Touchstone Tonewoods.

• Thanks 1