Why become a member? ×

Tunings

danny-79

Hi all. 
Question for you.
For many years now I’ve been playing in DGCF (ADGCF) and use that for everything , it’s my standard tuning to keep up with Eb-D guitars, just add two frets up to everything in standard,  as is only open strings that are effected etc. I don’t like Drop tunings (drop as in DADG etc)  so this for me was the perfect solution

the problem I’ve got now is a new music situation and I could possibly save myself a lot of work and tune back up. Sounds simple but my ear and the bass neck no longer match up In standard EADG. 

How many others do this ? (Tune low as standard that is) 

Edited by danny-79

14 hours ago, itu said:

Find the old D'Addario string tension guide PDF, and start experimenting. Tune your bass to fifths and widen your reach. Or to double bass solo tuning, or tenor, or BEAD, or whatever.

Not quite what i was saying but thanks anyways

Hi,

I often have the same problem in the opposite direction when I detune from E standard - my ears and my hands have a hard time syncing up at first. However, I think it does gradually start to make sense after a few minutes / hours. 

Sorry that I can't offer any real advice or hints, but seeing as you're dealing with the same intervals, it shouldn't be too much of a problem given some time!

• Like 1

Having said I can't offer any advice, one thing that might help is avoiding open strings where possible. That way, everything is easier to navigate at first. Then when you're feeling more confident with where the notes are, open strings can come back into play. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Huw Foster said:

Having said I can't offer any advice, one thing that might help is avoiding open strings where possible. That way, everything is easier to navigate at first. Then when you're feeling more confident with where the notes are, open strings can come back into play. 

I’m sticking to what I know, for now at least anyways

Yes, my answer was probably not in exact line of your thoughts, let me open it up a bit.

I have read a lot about people wandering in the jungle of tunings. That include those close to the basic (B)EADG(C). That D'Addario PDF helps a lot to keep the tension feasible, when changing the tuning and strings. Tune to fifths and you surely need to do a bit of research to find suitable strings of the same tension.

(I had an Ashula that I converted to a 5 string, and tuned it to CFBbEbAb. But I was and still am too old to learn it, and sold the bass after reverting it back to original.

Piccolo tuning and an octaver! No... it didn't sound or feel fine.

If you're happy with your current tuning, keep it that way and learn to use it everywhere. You could also use several tunings - probably on different basses?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, itu said:

Yes, my answer was probably not in exact line of your thoughts, let me open it up a bit.

I have read a lot about people wandering in the jungle of tunings. That include those close to the basic (B)EADG(C). That D'Addario PDF helps a lot to keep the tension feasible, when changing the tuning and strings. Tune to fifths and you surely need to do a bit of research to find suitable strings of the same tension.

(I had an Ashula that I converted to a 5 string, and tuned it to CFBbEbAb. But I was and still am too old to learn it, and sold the bass after reverting it back to original.

Piccolo tuning and an octaver! No... it didn't sound or feel fine.

If you're happy with your current tuning, keep it that way and learn to use it everywhere. You could also use several tunings - probably on different basses?

I use daddario 105-50 (add a 135 for the fivers) to me that feels perfect, it’s what I’ve always used, gauge wise anyways even when I tuned standard EADG (130-45 on the fivers) 

if I do tune back up, it just sounds all wrong, like there is a part of it missing, cause there is really and it’s not long before I start getting lost and derailed , I even do the full step down on guitar acoustic and electric 

Well, can't help you.

For me when the first note has been identified I pretty much think in intervals and patterns going forward, meaning that as long as it's standard tuning (all fourth tuning), and tuned up or down a whole step, I have no issues in terms of orienting myself on the fretboard.

I did play in a band for years where I was using a drop D tuning, and admittedly I sometimes found myself reminding my self that the low D should be played two frets ahead to get the same note/interval, but most of the time it eventually became kind of second nature when playing with that band, and no issue really going back to regular E standard tuning.

I also had my short scale classical nylon string acoustic guitar tuned to D standard tuning for years, and at the moment my main instrument of choice, a just 28.6" scale Ibanez Mikro Bass, is tuned in tenor bass, A standard, tuning (that is like the 4 upper strings of a 6 string bass tuned in regular B standard tuning).

Personally though I would probably tune my bass up to E standard tuning, if I was you.

But hey, honestly I can't see the big issue in keeping it in D standard tuning either, the 2 extra notes in the bottom range might still come to use, even if the guitar(s) are tuned to regular E standard tuning.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash