Why become a member? ×

Bought a faulty instrument from Cash Converters

I saw a secondhand Behringer Odyssey Synth on the Cash Converters website at a good price last week, so I got out the credit card and it was delivered on Saturday.

I was initally chuffed with it as it is the later version with the the sliders that look like they came off an xmas tree, however within half an hour of receiving it I realised it has an issue that causes it to cut out the sound and not respond to keypresses along with some of the lights and the effects section going out. The only way to get it working again then is to turn it off & on.

Another issue is that when it is otherwise working, turning down the brightness control for the slider LEDs to the minimum only turns off some of the LEDs, others are still dimly lit. I don't know if this is normal or not, if it is, it does seem a bit weird.

One way that seems guaranteed to trigger the cutting out issue is to flip the octave switch up and play a key. I made a 40 second video to illustrate this.

I emailed the branch of Cash Converters it came from on Saturday and again today about this but I haven't heard back yet. In the email I explained how it is faulty and I would like them to organise a courier to pick it up from me and issue a refund.

How long should I give them to get back to me before doing a chargeback?

• Like 1

Yep, es ist kaputt. Might be worth giving them a ring, it's very easy to ignore an email but less easy to ignore an irate customer on the phone. Might also be worth genning up on the distance selling regs too, as well as their guarantee wording. I'm guessing the branch isn't local to you?

• Like 1

I'm in Sutton, South London and the branch is in Barking, so it is possible to lug it up there to bang on the counter until I get refunded if necessary.

The returns policy on the website is as it should be and I've followed that by emailing the branch, but if I don't hear back from them today I'll call them in the morning.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NikNik said:

Behringer gear is cac, imo.

I bought a Beh V-Amp Pro, with the optional foot controller and it cut out on me three times on its very first gig. Straight to ebay!

There's nothing like basing your entire assessment of a manufacturer on a sample of one.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

• 3 weeks later...

I got the refund on my visa card after returning the Odyssey, althought the £12 cost to courier it back to the shop was send in the form of a postal order — I probably haven't seen one of those since xmas 1980.

I was amazed to see it back on the CC website for sale, but now there's the caveat that one key doesn't work, but no reference to the issue I experienced. I doubt the issue I found has been fixed if there's now a dead key (I certainly didn't find a dead key in the couple of days I had it) — surely if a tech has fixed and serviced it all the keys would be working. Oh well.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

At least you got the dosh back! 

Didn't know POs were still a thing. I assume crack converters hope someone will just buy it and live with it as it stands, or maybe not even notice the faults

That's the reality from the POV of many sellers of used gear, a lot of people either don't notice faults or don't worry about faults. I'm not one of those people :) 

• Like 2