Why become a member? ×

New band for me!

ped

Years ago I was at a studio that we frequently use for 'jamming' and recording the occasional tune with a couple of friends. We were doing a cover of Donald Fagen's Morph the Cat, as I had just bought a Smith bass (which I later sold to Scott Devine).

Anyway it really got me wanting to find a band more local to me where I could play original music in a similar studio environment. I really like being surrounded by good musicians in that type of environment - gigging is great too but mostly I'm done with playing pubs and really not interested in playing covers band material. Not to put that down - but I just don't like the weekend warrior covers commitment and derive very little satisfaction from playing covers of songs which I on the whole don't like!

So I decided I'd put up a 'musicians wanted' ad, or 'Musician available' not hoping really to get anything as my list of desires was quite narrow already, and became even narrower when I drew the line at any punk music and a preference for grooves below 100bpm.

And it was three years until someone messaged. I'd actually forgotten all about it; instead I'd had a couple of jams with some people from work, but we were always missing something - vocals, someone to write songs etc. Anyway this bloke sent me a link to his Bandcamp. I was out walking the dog so I thought OK I'll have a listen through my phone just to get a feel - not expecting much.

Well I was really impressed with the music and went home to stick on the album - half way through forgetting I was potentially joining the band but just enjoying it. I met the guy for a beer and had an 'audition' on Monday which went well (I learned 'Feel Like Letting Go' 'The Reason Why' 'Trick Of The Light' and 'Love Is Like a Rock'). The band use a beautiful studio with some amazing gear inside... the bass amp provided was an Ampeg PF50T with (I think) a 1x12 cab with horn which sounded lovely, and loud enough although it was pointing at my legs so next time I might sit in front of it. I was using my Thunderstangbacker which fits really well; favouring the neck a bit and I didn't take any pedals because I thought keep it simple! I just had a TU2 and MXR M87.

Here's the album if you're interested. I just wanted to share because I'm really happy to have found a band like this, it's a really nice challenge to learn the songs and fit into an existing band, whereas in the past I've always been the driving force and felt like an uphill battle. The playing on the album is pretty nice, quite melodic and fitting, but Mark wants me to bring some more dynamics and feel. I've got six more tracks to learn for my first proper practice with them after their last gig with current bassist.

Anyway, thought I'd share because I'm really happy!!

Cheers

ped

https://markrowen.bandcamp.com/album/radiance

• Like 11

First, congrats on being back in a band. Second, you dirty, lucky dog, I love the sound of the band, that is right up my strasse! Just a quick listen on the iPad and I’m hooked. Definitely going to have to listen to this on the iMac with headphones. I hear so many things I like, no least the vocals - very ‘80s Geddy, but smoother and less jarring and I hear Marillion in the opening track - it’s all good!

This has reminded me to start nagging my covers band (60s/mod type thing, which I never thought I’d enjoy, but do) to start playing some of the guitarist’s original work.

Edited by ezbass
  • Thanks 1

They sound very good.

Is this a songwriter's band? I ask because when a band has a leader, who is also the songwriter, then the other musicians can slot in around them and any new members know the score.

When an originals band have multiple songwriters within it, then it usually means there's friction, especially when one songwriter is head and shoulders above the others.

All the bands I've been in, which have played original stuff, had one main songwriter. It definitely helps with band harmony and longevity of the band. 

Good luck.

5 minutes ago, ezbass said:

First, congrats on being back in a band. Second, you dirty, lucky dog, I love the sound of the band, that is right up my strasse! Just a quick listen on the iPad and I’m hooked. Definitely going to have to listen to this on the iMac with headphones. I hear so many things I like, no least the vocals - very ‘80s Geddy, but smoother and less jarring and I hear Marillion in the opening track - it’s all good!

This has reminded me to start nagging my covers band (60s/mod type thing, which I never thought I’d enjoy, but do) to start playing some of the guitarist’s original work.

Thanks mate, exactly my reaction when I first heard it. One of the commenters on the Bandcamp says it's clearly the work of someone who's fallen in love with music' and it really shows. I've always wanted to be in a band with keys, too. Everyone has plenty of sonic space and the songs are really nicely crafted. At the audition the vocalist was using some effects on her voice to match the album and it was just a great sound and properly musical vibe. I have four new tracks which aren't on the album and two 'works in progress' and I love all of them.. the direction we're going seems more of a Toto sort of route, which is amazing, with some really chilled Pink Floyd thrown in.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gjones said:

They sound very good.

Is this a songwriter's band? I ask because when a band has a leader, who is also the songwriter, then the other musicians can slot in around them and any new members know the score.

When an originals band have multiple songwriters within it, then it usually means there's friction, especially when one songwriter is head and shoulders above the others.

All the bands I've been in, which have played original stuff, had one main songwriter. It definitely helps with band harmony and longevity of the band. 

Good luck.

Thanks, and yeah I think so - I'm not 100% sure of the setup as yet but it seems like a band that Mark has assembled around himself, which suits me just fine because as you say it makes things much easier - although he's already been open to suggestions and ideas from my own take on the existing songs and is looking for input on the new ones. There have been a few lineup changes over the years due mainly to people moving away etc but he's kept at it and now he's sourced one of the best bass players in the UK so

• 5 months later...

Slight update just to say I've been having an absolute blast with the band. These guys are super talented and it's definitely the right level of challenge for me to keep up with, and at the same time I have total freedom to craft my own lines. We have a gig coming up at what looks like a nice venue and a slot at the Nene Valley Rock Festival in Sept.

We've got two new tracks on the go, both about 10 minutes long(!) but with really nice bass potential. We practiced them as a group recently without keys which was enough to get the structure down, and then when Phil came back and added the keys on top - boom, what a difference. The track sounded so much fuller and 'warmer' with his tasteful synths underpinning everything. 

Lead guitarist took this randomly, at our rehearsal space where the drummer uses an electric kit which is fine for here but his Yamaha acoustic kit sounded absolutely stunning at the last gig.

I'm using an Ampeg PF50T with 15" cab which I quite like actually, but with the vocals and backing singers I have to stand quite close to it so can't hear it as well as when I can walk out front a bit. But it sounds great and goes plenty loud for that room. You can't see the guitarists pedalboards which are MASSIVE (both using Quad Cortex things) 

Cheers

ped

9b239229-01ff-4813-86be-65697ef41708.jpeg

• Like 2