Why become a member? ×

Any one tried an Ashdown 12 band 600 / MK 500 / JJB 500 ?

boristhespider7

I'm interested in getting an Ashdown 12 band 600 and wanted some feedback on users experience of them. I tend to play mainly with a pic with roto rounds and like either a clean aggressive tone, a clean pedal platform for some modulation or a little bit of dirt which I get via a pedal. Would it be suitable for this? Will it work as a rock bass amp?

I'm very familiar with Ashdown and have used much of their range of the years. I currently have an ABM 500 (evo iii) which i'm happy with but tend to use it with the treble and upper mids dimed permanently and often with a Boss EQ pedal in front of the amp also pushing the treble as other wise the amp sounds too warm and "woolly" for me. I also don't use the octaver, compressor or eq shape on the amp and now rarely use the valve pre as I prefer the OD of my pedal rig.

I'm wondering if the amp will be too "hi fi". I want it clean but want to be able to push the lows and low mids too if I choose.

I had one and I didn't feel there was any oomph or grit to be had from it unfortunately. 

There's no valve or ability to affect the preamp, but to be fair there doesn't claim to be. 

I loved the idea of one, it just didn't work for me. ABM600 is a far better option. 

• Like 1

I’ve had 2 mk500’s and just never got what I wanted from them - they didn’t have the push I expected amp wise (especially considering the claimed power).

but the Ashdown sound is ace - thing a modern interpretation would be the retroglide 800 - that pushes PLENTY

Edited by AndyTravis

13 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

I’ve had 2 mk500’s and just never got what I wanted from them - they didn’t have the push I expected amp wise (especially considering the claimed power).

but the Ashdown sound is ace - thing a modern interpretation would be the retroglide 800 - that pushes PLENTY

Thanks Andy. That's interesting, you're he 2nd person to say it didn't have enough push. Do you mean low end, gain, volume?

I'm reluctant at the moment to switch to a class D such as the retroglide, prefer a good old solid transformer!

I have a JJB500 and love it. It’s is a totally clean amp, no grit whatsoever. But it lends itself perfectly to whatever you feed into it. I ran a low gain overdrive, with a blend,into it and it was fantastic. Never any doubt of the power through 8x10s, 4x10s, 2x15s or even a 4x8.

2 hours ago, boristhespider7 said:

Thanks Andy. That's interesting, you're he 2nd person to say it didn't have enough push. Do you mean low end, gain, volume?

I'm reluctant at the moment to switch to a class D such as the retroglide, prefer a good old solid transformer!

It was volume for me.

through an Ashdown Neo 4x8 and a Vanderklay 2x12 (the cabs I owned each time I bought an mk500)

2 hours ago, bartelby said:

I have a JJB500 and love it. It’s is a totally clean amp, no grit whatsoever. But it lends itself perfectly to whatever you feed into it. I ran a low gain overdrive, with a blend,into it and it was fantastic. Never any doubt of the power through 8x10s, 4x10s, 2x15s or even a 4x8.

I have read a comment from Ashdown somewhere that one difference with the JJB500 over the other 12 band heads is that it has a higher input (maybe higher gain?). I wonder if that's a factor?

I'm aware its a totally clean amp, but sometimes that exactly what you want for a pedal platform. The harmonic generator dial intrigues me - is it basically a presence control?

I've used the JJB500. A very clean, powerful amp. No real drive on tap and a really useable 12 band EQ. I had a drive pedal in front of it (maybe a Beta or SFT?) and it was a beast with a 610 and the sound certainly filled a big stage. 

As has been said, I believe the input gain is set higher than the MK and possibly a different transformer?

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up an MK500 recently, actually from @Chimike of this parish and as a long time ABM user I was curious how the 12-band thing stacks up against an ABM. It's a completely different beast pre-amp wise, more akin to a Trace Elliot GP12 SMX without the dual band compression and valve harmonics. I wouldn't say it was super hi-fi clean but it is generally quite crisp sounding. The Harmonics control is reminiscent of the EQ balance on a GP12 SMX in that it lets you swing the tone to the bass end of the specturm or the treble end easily without messing around with the EQ sliders.  Power wise it can shift air just like any of my ABM's can. It doesn't have that ABM pre-shape thump but the 12-band will let you dial in all the bottom end you want. My MK500 is based around an ABM EVOIII power section configured to 230V working. I've modded my MK500 to run at 240V as the big original TD00531 transforner is designed to run at this voltage. It now runs whisper quiet even at very high volume settings and dare I say a bit more hi-fi like. I can see it also being excellent in a studio setting, I haven't tried the DI as yet but hope to do so soon. 

IMG_2446.thumb.jpeg.d7fe9a8969ae2f7863fb31f5afedff51.jpeg

• Like 4

One theory about these clean amps not having ‘enough push’ or volume is that preamp dirt / grit / overdrive makes sounds louder because they create harmonics at frequencies our ears are much more sensitive to. 

You’d need a lot of clean power to compensate for the absence of a tubey or harmonically rich valve tone.

Just one of many theories, no doubt.

Edited by funkydoug