Why become a member? ×

NAD (New Amp Disappointment)

Edenburgh

Today felt like that moment in Star Wars when they try unsuccessfully to put the Millennium Falcon into hyperdrive.....

Have a listen to the video then read on.

Got this beauty home yesterday and just about to A/B test between my rehearsal and gig cabinets when it did this at power up.

1. - it didn't do it in the shop (used my own super compact cab to audition the amp)

2. - the noise is even worse when plugged directly into sockets around my house -  gets louder and cracklier. (the noise you hear was when plugged in via a surge protector which made things marginally better).

3. - Plugged in my Trace Elf practice amp (via same plug sockets) and it was completely silent.

Been back on the phone to GG who have been great and told me to bring it back for them to investigate and they have also put a hold on selling the amp I traded in (in fact they are going to give me back my old amp while they get this looked into).

Any thoughts?   Are these amps known to be noisy or sensitive to power sources?   Is it the fans?   

I really want this one to work because it sounds amazeballs otherwise.

5 minutes ago, BassmanPaul said:

Unplug the input cable and try again. If it still does it it's the amp. If not it's the cable or what is attached to that cable.

Tried different kettle leads, different instrument cables and different basses.   Noise persists.

1 minute ago, Bassybert said:

It’s not helping solve anything but that looks one hell of a rig, hope you get it sorted ASAP!

Thanks! 

For avoidance of doubt I only ever use one of these cabs at a time!!! (big twin for big gigs, super compact for rehearsals and small gigs).   They were stacked simply for convenience so I could A/B the amp between them.   

1 minute ago, BassmanPaul said:

I would simply return the amp and get another unit.  You could try contacting Ashdown. I hear they are very responsive to problems with any of their products.

Not quite as simple as getting a replacement unit as this is second hand and no longer in production.    Will see what the shop do and also consider Ashdown as a possible course thereafter.    As I said previously I want this one to work because the sound is just perfect with a P Bass through the Barefaced cabs.

16 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Do you have powerline internet in the house? If so, switch that off and see what happens.

Interesting theory!   Yep running a couple of data powerlines in the house.    Unplugged them - still the same.    Now with the additional domestic noise of complaints about the internet being down!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Edenburgh said:

Interesting theory!   Yep running a couple of data powerlines in the house.    Unplugged them - still the same.    Now with the additional domestic noise of complaints about the internet being down!

Ah, worth a shot. The video sounds exactly like when I fire up a non-Class D head in my house, and turn it to gig volume while the powerline extenders are plugged in.

Edited by wateroftyne

4 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Ah, worth a shot. The video sounds exactly like when I fire up a non-Class D head in my house, and turn it to gig volume while the powerline extenders are plugged in.

I've just been revisiting the powerline thing again - it definately gets worse with them switched on - like interference sounds - but there's still too much noise with them all powered off.     

5 minutes ago, Edenburgh said:

I've just been revisiting the powerline thing again - it definately gets worse with them switched on - like interference sounds - but there's still too much noise with them all powered off.     

Might just be general interference. Are you near a router, or monitor? Presumably you have a bass in that clip - what happens if you walk away from the head? Face away from it, like you would at the gig? Or rotate on the spot?

Not saying it's relevant in this case, but one thing Class D heads has done is made people forget how noisy environments can be. Class D heads - for all their sins (IMO) - don't really suffer from it.

I always cringe when I crank my stuff up to gig volume in the house, with loads of stuff in close proximity, but it's never a problem at the actual gig.

Edited by wateroftyne

5 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Might just be general interference. Are you near a router, or monitor? Presumably you have a bass in that clip - what happens if you walk away from the head? Face away from it, like you would at the gig? Or rotate on the spot?

Not saying it's relevant in this case, but one thing Class D heads has done is made people forget how noisy environments can be. Class D heads - for all their sins (IMO) - don't really suffer from it.

I always cringe when I crank my stuff up to gig volume in the house, with loads of stuff in close proximity, but it's never a problem at the actual gig.

I'm starting to think this might be a big part of it.   Routers, WiFi, cellular data devices, tellies all going.     Will try it back in GG and see if it's as quiet as when I bought it.    If so then it has to be environmental.

16 minutes ago, Edenburgh said:

I'm starting to think this might be a big part of it.   Routers, WiFi, cellular data devices, tellies all going.     Will try it back in GG and see if it's as quiet as when I bought it.    If so then it has to be environmental.

You tried it without a lead in it didn't you? in which case you won't  get any of that interference and the fact is turning the input down did nothing, but turning the volume down did something - the noise is in the preamp - external noise would affect everything equally, and RF would only be an issue with a bass plugged in (especially a passive bass). I am sure GG will fix it, they can just swap the valve with one they have lying around.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

You tried it without a lead in it didn't you? in which case you won't  get any of that interference and the fact is turning the input down did nothing, but turning the volume down did something - the noise is in the preamp - external noise would affect everything equally, and RF would only be an issue with a bass plugged in (especially a passive bass). I am sure GG will fix it, they can just swap the valve with one they have lying around.

Correct, no lead connected.

I had a similar issue with a very new ABM 600. The valve drive just had loads of extra noise and swapping the valve did nothing. I sent it off to Ashdown and it came back all happy again and has been fine since. 

I did a video too:

https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/448210-abm-600-valve-noise/?do=findComment&comment=4427667

6 minutes ago, MichaelDean said:

I had a similar issue with a very new ABM 600. The valve drive just had loads of extra noise and swapping the valve did nothing. I sent it off to Ashdown and it came back all happy again and has been fine since. 

I did a video too:

https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/448210-abm-600-valve-noise/?do=findComment&comment=4427667

Did Ashdown say what they did to fix it?   Mine is well out of manufacturer warranty.