Why become a member? ×

Please recommend a sire for me, based on your own actual experience

Geek99

Okay...

So I bought a new Sire jazz bass about a year or so after they were released to rave reviews. Sadly I was disappointed with the QC. 

Amongst other minor quibbles more prominent issues included one of the inlays sitting proud of the fingerboard by several millimetres (and at at a quirky angle); a faulty input jack; a preamp which failed after several days.

In my experience they were overhyped.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, White Cloud said:

Okay...

So I bought a new Sire jazz bass about a year or so after they were released to rave reviews. Sadly I was disappointed with the QC. 

Amongst other minor quibbles more prominent issues included one of the inlays sitting proud of the fingerboard by several millimetres (and at at a quirky angle); a faulty input jack; a preamp which failed after several days.

In my experience they were overhyped.

You didn't send it back and try another?

• Like 1

TL;DR version: I've got one and I love it.

I've had a five-string ash-bodied maple-necked 1st generation V7 since just after they were originally released (2015 was it?). I sold a wood-necked Status Series 1 in order to buy the Sire and have not regretted that move for a second. And the Status was a wonderful instrument. If the V7 and P7 had been released at the same time I'd have bought the P7, because the P pickup suits some of my needs better, but that's by the by.
Apart from the ramp you can see in the pic, I have made four changes:

1. Entirely aesthetic... I replaced the placky knobs with some chrome ones, easy to source on fleaBay.
  2. Fairly essential... I replaced the tuners (which were pretty ropey on the early gen1 V7s) with Hipshot Ultralites, which not only made tuning more precise but also shaved a whole half a pound off the weight, which is in practice a lot more than it sounds.
  3. Also essential... I replaced the bar type string-tree with a pair of Hipshot retainers. The bar was absolute rubbish.
  4. Purely preferential... I have recently replaced the original bridge (which was little more than a BBOT) with a top-loading one, and blocked off the through-body stringing holes. This is because I never strung through the body, always through the bridge, and I hate having to thread strings through holes in the tailpiece, I far prefer quick release slots. This new one also has screws to lock the saddles in place, whereas they were floating on the original. The standard string spacing on the V7 fivers is/was 18mm, this new bridge has extended that to 19 which I do prefer. I never felt particularly cramped by the 18 spacing but I wouldn't have wanted it any tighter. 

I found the QC to be absolutely perfect... all the inlays were perfectly flush, the fretwork was neat with no sharp ends of any sort, the control cavity was neat (and very full!), and the finish flawless.

I like the standard EQ, a lot. Some people don't, "too many knobs!", but I like to have plenty of control available to me and this delivers. 

Some people also think the headstock is fugly, and while I'll admit it's not exactly glamorous, it does remind me slightly of Sadowsky, which I'm perfectly ok with.

If I had to pick on one thing that I don't like, it's the weight. With the lightweight tuners fitted, it tips the scales at 10lbs 3oz (4.6kg), which makes it quite a lump to lug around -- nearly a pound heavier than my Shuker and well over 2 heavier than my Spector. 

Bear in mind that this is a very early 1st generation V7. The 2nd gen ones have addressed some issues -- by all accounts the newer tuners are faaaaar better than these were, for example. Apparently the rolled neck edges on the new ones are incredibly comfortable, and something I wish mine had.  

If mine was stolen, I would absolutely buy another, but it'd be a P7 this time.

HTH.

working basses - smaller.jpg

Edited by Rich

28 minutes ago, White Cloud said:

No worries 😁 ... just my luck.

I bought it online sight unseen (from Andertons?) a bit of a shot in the dark but worth a punt.

Sounds like I dodged a bullet with mine then. Originally ordered from Andertons but it was going be delayed by a couple of months, so I cancelled and ordered from Thomann, and narrowly got it delivered before a) Christmas and b) Brexit. 

• Like 1

Used to have a five string ash body, maple board V7 1st gen and it was fantastic. Being left handed Sire really provide for us lefties, it was a great bass and the preamp is so easy to use. The passive tone was great too. I only sold it because I felt guilty after spending big on a US Stingray. I then got a V9 five string with Ebony board and flame maple top. I called it "the wedding bass" because I mainly used it for functions. It was a bit heavy but sounded excellent. Again, got rid because I had other instruments coming in (a Fender US Jazz). It's odd how I've not stuck with one for more than a year because I really, really rate them. I'm tempted by a P5 because I want a P bass and I know I'd be getting a lot for the money....

• Like 1