Why become a member? ×

OMG ! This is so cool (midi without the mpup)

[quote name='mathewsanchez' post='480300' date='May 5 2009, 07:43 PM']This may sound a bit mental but could you use an octave up pedal running into that and then an octave down pedal after it. Does that make any sense?[/quote]

The octave up (e.g. a MicroPOG) would help with the tracking if you insist on playing down the bass end of the neck, but you wouldn't need the octave down as any decent synth would be able to adjust the octave range anyway. This way you could play up high on the neck without an octave pedal, or even use a guitar, but pump out pure sub bass from the synth module.

[quote name='Oscar South' post='481690' date='May 7 2009, 10:19 AM']The whole point of this is so you can play it on your guitar/bass, its just a fun gadget and not intended to be a serious piece of gear. Who cares if you can do the same job but a ton better on a synth, its not as fun and its not as cool.[/quote]
+1 :rolleyes:

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='481972' date='May 7 2009, 01:51 PM']The octave up (e.g. a MicroPOG) would help with the tracking if you insist on playing down the bass end of the neck, but you wouldn't need the octave down as any decent synth would be able to adjust the octave range anyway. This way you could play up high on the neck without an octave pedal, or even use a guitar, but pump out pure sub bass from the synth module.[/quote]

One thing i did think of is that these little boxes don't like harmonic rich sound so neck pup only? That in mind the octave up thing might cause some interesting harmonic results. :D

Oh i can't get one yet cus i'm in the middle of moving house at the mo. :) Have to wait to see how Owen get's on. :lol:

So, I paid my money and it came. The good news is that up above the 7th fret - for me - it works. The latency is certainly there, but I could happily play it without that being an issue as I adapted to it. I put a capo on 7th fret and noodled away for an hour this evening. A lot depends on the synth patch being used. I dusted off my old Alesis Nanobass module which I had been keeping for just the right occasion and with the right patch I was good to go.

Not sure what else to say really - it is fun and useable. It will track down to just above an open D (depending on the patch) but is not really interested in anything beneath that as far as useable triggering goes.

I know have sound module GAS. There is no sustain pedal input on the Alesis.

Any questions?

I tried it with 5 different basses (my wife has already told me I have too many). It was fine with them all really. I had to be careful with muting, but not to any excessive degree.

If I was expecting full MIDI implementation down to low B then yes it was a duffer. However, I knew that would not be on so I was pleasantly surprised that it did what I expected it to do without overly having to modify my technique. Again, no use really beneath the 7th fret, but then we all knew that was was going to be the case.

[quote name='owen' post='482610' date='May 8 2009, 12:04 AM']So, I paid my money and it came. The good news is that up above the 7th fret - for me - it works. The latency is certainly there, but I could happily play it without that being an issue as I adapted to it. I put a capo on 7th fret and noodled away for an hour this evening. A lot depends on the synth patch being used. I dusted off my old Alesis Nanobass module which I had been keeping for just the right occasion and with the right patch I was good to go.

Not sure what else to say really - it is fun and useable. It will track down to just above an open D (depending on the patch) but is not really interested in anything beneath that as far as useable triggering goes.

I know have sound module GAS. There is no sustain pedal input on the Alesis.

Any questions?[/quote]

Sounds good enough to me, I'm putting mine on order :)

I have an old Nano-synth module lying around so I have a few Nano-related questions:

1. Do you know if you can program a patch on these synths to transpose the octave down (or up)?
2. Do you use a Librarian/Editor program? Which do you use?

[quote name='owen' post='482713' date='May 8 2009, 09:21 AM']I tried it with 5 different basses (my wife has already told me I have too many). It was fine with them all really. I had to be careful with muting, but not to any excessive degree.

If I was expecting full MIDI implementation down to low B then yes it was a duffer. However, I knew that would not be on so I was pleasantly surprised that it did what I expected it to do without overly having to modify my technique. Again, no use really beneath the 7th fret, but then we all knew that was was going to be the case.[/quote]

Sorry, do you mean 7th fret on a low string tuned to E or B? Either way it sounds pretty good as that area of the neck sounds the best for using an octaver to my ear.

I also notice on the Sonus website there's a few folk asking about using it on bass to which Sonus replied 'Watch this space' so I guess they are planning a bass version. For 80 quid, I think I'll get one for my microKorg and VSTi synths in Ableton.

Adam

Edited by bozzbass

This is such a great advance in MIDI technology. I've been planning on (eventually) shelling out for the Axon midi system, which would set me back at least 500 quid in hardware alone, let alone installing things. But now people are making ones that simply plug into normal pickups. Genius! Whilst it may not track as well as more expensive ones (I don't know, does it?) it's a step in the right direction technology wise, and brings the price right down so that it's affordable to the masses.

Mark

[quote name='mcgraham' post='482855' date='May 8 2009, 12:20 PM']This is such a great advance in MIDI technology. I've been planning on (eventually) shelling out for the Axon midi system, which would set me back at least 500 quid in hardware alone, let alone installing things. But now people are making ones that simply plug into normal pickups. Genius! Whilst it may not track as well as more expensive ones (I don't know, does it?) it's a step in the right direction technology wise, and brings the price right down so that it's affordable to the masses.

Mark[/quote]

The MIDI pickup systems are still by far superior if you can afford them because as far as I'm aware they'll pretty much track the whole bass neck (no idea of latency though) and they are polyphonic.

Affordable and reliable midi conversion is a great leap for technology though.

Edited by Oscar South

[quote name='owen' post='482713' date='May 8 2009, 09:21 AM']If I was expecting full MIDI implementation down to low B then yes it was a duffer. However, I knew that would not be on so I was pleasantly surprised that it did what I expected it to do without overly having to modify my technique. Again, no use really beneath the 7th fret, but then we all knew that was was going to be the case.[/quote]

Wow, nice one.

One question: I've noticed with a lot of software that tracks your playing, often when you release a note it can pull slightly sharp for a moment (which sounds especially awful if you've got a long release phase on the sound you're using). Does this do that? I thought I could hear it slightly on that guitar demo vid and I figure it'd be more noticeable on bass.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='483040' date='May 8 2009, 04:12 PM']Wow, nice one.

One question: I've noticed with a lot of software that tracks your playing, often when you release a note it can pull slightly sharp for a moment (which sounds especially awful if you've got a long release phase on the sound you're using). Does this do that? I thought I could hear it slightly on that guitar demo vid and I figure it'd be more noticeable on bass.[/quote]

On open strings there does tend to be a slow vibrato thing happening. In a not good way :)

1. Do you know if you can program a patch on these synths to transpose the octave down (or up)?

I have no idea!

2. Do you use a Librarian/Editor program? Which do you use?

Nope. Much too complicated for me!

[quote name='bozzbass' post='482847' date='May 8 2009, 12:10 PM']Sorry, do you mean 7th fret on a low string tuned to E or B? Either way it sounds pretty good as that area of the neck sounds the best for using an octaver to my ear.

I also notice on the Sonus website there's a few folk asking about using it on bass to which Sonus replied 'Watch this space' so I guess they are planning a bass version. For 80 quid, I think I'll get one for my microKorg and VSTi synths in Ableton.

Adam[/quote]

For using with VSTi synths, there is a plugin that basically does what the G2M does (converts incoming audio to MIDI) but it's name escapes me. Whether it works any better or not, I do not know. Should be able to find it or something similar over at the KVR forums though!

[quote name='bozzbass' post='482847' date='May 8 2009, 12:10 PM']Sorry, do you mean 7th fret on a low string tuned to E or B? Either way it sounds pretty good as that area of the neck sounds the best for using an octaver to my ear.[/quote]

Realistically about 5th fret on the A, give the right patch is about as low as you will go, and that will be stretching it.

I was really surprised reading this thread. I have a Boss drum machine (can't remember the model right now) which i think is early nineties and it tracks bass/guitar to midi. Has a small but noticeable amount of delay, and is monophonic, but tracks down to an open E atelast (didn't have a 5 string last time i tried). Got it off ebay a few years ago for £40. I guess it's not as compact, but it's hardly the selling point of the unit, more a little feature. it has audio and midi outs, and allows you to record midi loops etc on the fly fairly easily.

Just didn't realise this sort of this was so saught after.

Robin

[quote name='Robin UK' post='484091' date='May 10 2009, 01:09 AM']I was really surprised reading this thread. I have a Boss drum machine (can't remember the model right now) which i think is early nineties and it tracks bass/guitar to midi. Has a small but noticeable amount of delay, and is monophonic, but tracks down to an open E atelast (didn't have a 5 string last time i tried). Got it off ebay a few years ago for £40. I guess it's not as compact, but it's hardly the selling point of the unit, more a little feature. it has audio and midi outs, and allows you to record midi loops etc on the fly fairly easily.

Just didn't realise this sort of this was so saught after.

Robin[/quote]

Korg had an analog guitarsynth in the early 80s with a direct input - the Electro Harmonix Synth pedal works the same.
I used the infamous Roland G77 synth for some years (ca '88 - '89) and strung it with GHS piccolo bass strings - tuned up an octave which
improved the tracking a lot (actually not good enough)...

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='483154' date='May 8 2009, 05:35 PM']For using with VSTi synths, there is a plugin that basically does what the G2M does (converts incoming audio to MIDI) but it's name escapes me. Whether it works any better or not, I do not know. Should be able to find it or something similar over at the KVR forums though![/quote]

[url="http://www.widisoft.com/english/widi-audio-to-midi-vst.html"]http://www.widisoft.com/english/widi-audio-to-midi-vst.html[/url] :)

I've tried the demo briefly and it works pretty well, although there was a fair amount of latency ( may be able to reduce it, haven't had a good play yet). Only downside with the demo is that it cuts out every 15 seconds ( for 15 seconds!) so it's not deliberately limited.

Cheers
Alun

[quote name='Alun' post='486419' date='May 12 2009, 09:45 PM'][url="http://www.widisoft.com/english/widi-audio-to-midi-vst.html"]http://www.widisoft.com/english/widi-audio-to-midi-vst.html[/url] :)

I've tried the demo briefly and it works pretty well, although there was a fair amount of latency ( may be able to reduce it, haven't had a good play yet). Only downside with the demo is that it cuts out every 15 seconds ( for 15 seconds!) so it's not deliberately limited.

Cheers
Alun[/quote]

thanks for this, i will give it a spin too.

cuts out every 15 seconds for 15 seconds tho!!!! that really is crippleware!

Didn't Roland make synth basses before in the 80's?
They only tracked well enough to be used on the high notes though...and looked like a lazer gun!

Would love to find one just for the hell of it...PROPER 80's look that would have on stage!

*points headstock to crowd and makes lazer noises"

Edited by Kongo