Why become a member? ×

When is a StingRay not a StingRay..? (NBD)

johnDeereJack

When it's a Sandberg California Central of course! 

I had a 4-string StingRay for years, and I absolutely love the distinctive sound of a StingRay, but I haven't played 4-string basses for ages now so it was sitting in it's case doing nothing, so I decided to move it on, along with an un-played '58RI Precision, then instantly regretted it! I toyed with the idea of buying another 4-string StingRay, but there would be literally no point as it would never get played, so I've been looking for a replacement StingRay in 5-string flavour. I cannot be doing with the pickguards on 5-string StingRay's so those were out of the running from the get-go.

I picked up a 5-string H/S Bongo, which is a great bass, but doesn't have that StingRay sound. So I looked at the Lakland Skyline 55-02 (which is another great instrument - so good that I bought two!) but again doesn't quite do that StingRay sound. Then in walked the California Central...

While I was in the shop trying it out I A/B'd it against a 4-string StingRay and a 5-string StingRay , both 3-band EQ like the Sandberg, through a MarkBass combo and then through headphones, and if you were blindfolded I guarantee you would not be able to tell the difference, it's so convincing at mimicking a StingRay.

The build quality is excellent, the finish is superb, it comes with a substantial soft shell case, I love that the treble control doubles as a passive tone control while in passive mode, and I love the smoked chrome hardware, but I really wish it had an ebony fingerboard as opposed to pao ferro - it just looks odd. And seeing as I'm nitpicking, I also don't like the massive exposed truss rod route (it's not what you would call subtle!), and there are too many adjustment points on the bridge - each saddle has 5 adjustment screws! 

Anyway, I can live with the minor niggles as I've now found a bass that scratches my itch - it's half the price of an actual EB MM StingRay and sounds exactly the same. What's not to like!

BlackSandberg.thumb.jpg.2b93cf2bfa5d4f8d0d91c9ed6025b206.jpg

SandbergWoodgrain.thumb.jpg.013ebcda612f88576af74d2bc5b8a32d.jpg

SandbergBridge.thumb.jpg.6a3353528ccbfb71b30dc57a28678d82.jpg

SandbergHeadstock.thumb.jpg.959ea0e941072639dba00ef3919a5410.jpg

SandbergCase.jpg.2c195fa40cc67388b04a1835600b349d.jpg

• Like 14

43 minutes ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

That's lovely. I've looked at these longingly for quite a while now but like you, I'm not a fan of the PF fingerboards and wish they'd use ebony or rosewood. That said, it's a cracking looking bass and I'm a big fan of Sandbergs. 

Yeah, I agree, an ebony board would be much better I think - more in keeping with the overall look of the bass.

Sandberg offer ebony as a fingerboard option in their online configurator, but I'm kinda impulsive (and impatient!) and the bass I bought was available there and then, so I'll live with the PF board as the bass is excellent. 🙂

• Like 1

They're really good aren't they! I got one not that long ago in gloss 'anthracite' with a PF board. The board on mine is reasonably figured and interesting, so with a bit of oil on it to bring out the pattern it actually looks quite decent, but I agree that ebony would have been a better choice.

I used to have a pair of superlight 4s which I moved on when I switched back to using just 5s, but I missed having a Sandberg so I went and tried a few different models and it was the Central that came out a very clear winner over the others. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I've been enjoying mine 🙂 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ed_S said:

They're really good aren't they! I got one not that long ago in gloss 'anthracite' with a PF board. The board on mine is reasonably figured and interesting, so with a bit of oil on it to bring out the pattern it actually looks quite decent, but I agree that ebony would have been a better choice.

I used to have a pair of superlight 4s which I moved on when I switched back to using just 5s, but I missed having a Sandberg so I went and tried a few different models and it was the Central that came out a very clear winner over the others. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I've been enjoying mine 🙂 

Yup, they are really good basses. I took it to a 3hr rehearsal on Friday and it was a joy to play - not too weighty, well balanced, all round winner! I've been playing it at home all weekend too. The action is a bit low for me so I'll have to tackle that at some point. Thankfully it came with an information pamphlet thing that tells you what the 7 billion adjustment screws on each bridge saddle does! 😄

7 hours ago, fretmeister said:

I really want one of these!

I'd have to special order it as a Superlight though and as I've only recently got a special order I think my wife would take issue with it!

I honestly think you owe it to yourself to place that order and buy one, she'll never know! (Probably! 😉)

🙂

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, johnDeereJack said:

but I really wish it had an ebony fingerboard as opposed to pao ferro - it just looks odd

This really helps with that: https://www.montysguitars.com/products/montys-montypresso-relic-wax

Leave it to soak in overnight and it really darkens. The longer you leave it the deeper the stain. This is leaving it on overnight. (I have no affiliation with Monty's!)
627B27E4-8873-41E0-B56D-A6752A3331A3.thumb.jpeg.218f46a429f3ab7d0557ec2d990a52fc.jpegIMG_1525.thumb.jpeg.df1840fa1f8df6e50917b2fa6d42ffc7.jpeg

1 minute ago, uk_lefty said:

Great to read a review of these! Getting myself a lefty fretless Stingray seems to be impossible, might have to be a Sandberg or Maruszczyk special order...

I absolutely love the sound of a StingRay, and I really regretted selling my 4-string, but it just wasn't getting played at all. I A/B'd the Sandberg in the shop against a 4-string and a 5-string Ray and I tell you man you cannot tell the difference, it's that good. So, yeah, get yourself onto the Maruszczyk website or Sandberg's online configurator and get building! 🙂