Why become a member? ×

Recommendations on apps or ways to track how good your timing is?

alexa3020

I was doing a simple recording of an idea for a bass line, which consisted of pumping 8th notes at 140BPM. I noticed that my timing was occasionally a little off on the odd note. The worrying thing was I couldn't hear it at the time, it was only when I played the recording back that I noticed. I tried recording the line with one finger rather than alternating. and it was much better - attack of the note was way more consistent, but the timing was also better too. I don't think the problem is my own internal timing, probably more my right hand technique.

This is something that I would like to improve, and I can do metronome exercises etc. but given that I couldn't hear that I was not in time, makes me a little confused on how to improve. I could almost do with an app that lets me know how close to the beat I am when playing. Does anyone know of a tool that I can use to check my timing?

• Like 1

if your internal clock is ok I will suggest to take some classes with a teacher that can fix your technique, it will be hard to fix that by yourself.

you can try a couple of things:

if you start always with the same finger on your right hand, try studying in reverse for a while and see what happens

try to play in front of a mirror to see if you observe a difference in the plucking with your fingers

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

There's a good video somewhere from Victor Wooten where he plays a bassline along to a metronome and he increases the gaps between the clicks so it starts on every two beats, then once per bar, then every two bars etc. I tried it and it's hard, especially when you get to one click every four bars, but it probably does wonders for your internal time if done regularly.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

The SBL groove trainer has a setting that plays a drum beat that then drops out and in again which is good for internal timing, but I don't think that's quite what you're looking for.

19 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Can it measure how well you groove and swing too?

No it's not smart like that, just like a drum box app. It's free though and so I try to practice with it to help my timing