Why become a member? ×

Is it acceptable?

bassatnight

1 hour ago, Burns-bass said:

I had a bass that was similarly not as described. After an hour I decided I couldn’t live with it, emailed and had a refund processed very quickly. The bass was picked up the next day and it all went smoothly.

With hindsight that's just what I should've done... 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

If its a case of it just being dirty but you're otherwise happy to keep it, you could contact them and have a moan with the idea of getting a bit of cash back as a goodwill gesture ( to go towards some cleaning products blah blah ;)

In my case the back of the neck was dinged and gouged up a bit so more of an issue than just "dirt"

.. but it's your call, I'd certainly not just leave it without contacting them for some resolution in your favour. 

Isn't dirt a red flag for other problems?

Blue 

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

Isn't dirt a red flag for other problems?

Blue 

Could well be, the electrics might not be happy for instance..

Seems like the OP has decided that he's OK with it tho, so hopefully all good, it would be a nice goodwill gesture if the seller sent him a couple of complementary sets of strings or something at very least.. 

14 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Could well be, the electrics might not be happy for instance..

Seems like the OP has decided that he's OK with it tho, so hopefully all good, it would be a nice goodwill gesture if the seller sent him a couple of complementary sets of strings or something at very least.. 

Waddo, think twice - before You give advice!

• Confused 1

On 18/07/2023 at 14:49, BassAdder60 said:

I’ve had many poor “ new” condition products from PMT over the years and vowed to stop using them however I did visit a store and buy my Jazz bass from them. 
If you see how a typical store is being run it’s no surprise goods cone out not as they should. Part of this is the online returns world we live in and the other is lack of investment in decent paid staff who are trained in customer service etc. 

Clearly that grubby bass was never inspected before sending out ? Shame on you PMT 

This is exactly my experience.  I will only ever buy something from PMT if it is unavailable or much more expensive elsewhere, and then, I reckon on a 50-50 chance it will have to be sent back with a complaint.  I will say though, that PMT are always polite, apologetic and helpful whenever I do complain.

• Like 1

I went to look at a new stock ABM115H cab in the local PMT store but when I saw it ( clearly a display version ) it was scuffed and even to tolex was ripped. They offered to allow me to take it home and try it which I did but then I returned it and purchased something else. So very helpful but it’s more like a secondhand trader than a new goods outlet 

21 hours ago, bassatnight said:

Thanks guys, the bass itself plays beautifully and now cleaned looks super. A complaint has gone in, I am not expecting anything but an apology and perhaps a lesson learned will suffice. 

Exactly the approach I’d have taken. How many MM Bongos do you see on the used market, it that’d the bass you’ve set your heart on - it ain’t a common all garden P bass that could be swapped for another without too much hassle.

That said, very shoddy of PMT. Give them a bad review if say as well. 

All that said, how many of us have been to a big box shop, asked to buy an item only for it to be lifted from display on the shop floor? It happened to me once at a well reveered bass shop that used to be in Wapping - the items were taken off display where they were in use, and sold without boxes!! It never dawned on me at the time (I was a bit green to these sales techniques at the time) to insist only paying half price for used items!!! Sorry for thread drift but my experience of many retailers is they have no massive respect for their customers from time to time!! 

Edited by drTStingray

4 hours ago, drTStingray said:

All that said, how many of us have been to a big box shop, asked to buy an item only for it to be lifted from display on the shop floor? It happened to me once at a well reveered bass shop that used to be in Wapping - the items were taken off display where they were in use, and sold without boxes!! It never dawned on me at the time (I was a bit green to these sales techniques at the time) to insist only paying half price for used items!!! Sorry for thread drift but my experience of many retailers is they have no massive respect for their customers from time to time!! 

There's also the argument that you may want the one you've played. Say you've been trying out all of the P basses, spending hours looking for "the one", and by jove, you find it! It speaks to you unlike any other and the neck fits your hand perfectly, despite it being the 7th Player range bass you've tried and they should all supposedly be the same. Then they say, "Sorry, no, that's a display model only. Here's one fresh from the box". You'd be peeved, right?