Why become a member? ×

I played a 4 string today..

TheGreek

..and it felt weird.

Used to be my weapon of choice for a long time and I struggled with anything but.

When I picked up the 4 string fretless earlier the neck felt tiny, the strings too far apart and it felt anorexic and underweight. 

I'm waiting for my Spector 6er to come back from the electro tech with a new preamp fitted,  can I expect something similar from my 5ers?

15 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

..and it felt weird.

Used to be my weapon of choice for a long time and I struggled with anything but.

When I picked up the 4 string fretless earlier the neck felt tiny, the strings too far apart and it felt anorexic and underweight. 

I'm waiting for my Spector 6er to come back from the electro tech with a new preamp fitted,  can I expect something similar from my 5ers?

Tune in next week to find out. 🙂

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I feel the same when I pick up a 4 string now. It just doesn't feel right. 

Same here. If I try to play something on a four-string that I already know, I inevitably start one string higher than I should. I have to stop and think what to do, as I've become so used to the fiver.

That's caused me a few problems lately. I help teach the bass class at Girls Rock School Edinburgh, and as that's aimed at complete beginners, they naturally use four-string basses. One of last term's songs was I Love Rock 'n' Roll, which I also play in my 80s covers band. I had to spend some time hammering the four-string fingering into my soft little head. It then took root, and when the song came up in rehearsal with the covers band, I managed to royally f**k it up. Had to spend several practice sessions undoing the damage.

I genuinely admire those folks who can effortlessly switch between the two.

• Like 1

To keep them feeling normal, you've just got to keep the 4s in rotation for noodling about at home.

I played my Mustang almost exclusively for years. I convinced myself I couldn't do the reaches on a normal scale anymore. Then I joined a new band, needed a 5 string and I adapted back to 34" with the extra string without too much pain. My Mustang suddenly felt a bit like a toy. 

It took a while to get used to them all again, but these days, my main three are my Dingwall, my 'stang and a p style bass. If I'm not practicing band stuff (for which the Dingwall is the only one set up in drop C), I'll just pick whichever I fancy in the moment. It may even be my tele. I really like having different things to suit my whim. 

• Like 1

Try going from a 10 string to a 4 string!

I have 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10 string basses as well as 6, 7 and 12 string guitars... Purely to help with effortless switching of course, it's a sacrifice, but I was willing to make it. 😆

• Haha 3

I play 5 string now and again, very rarely, so I find it hard to go from 4 to 5 but easier to come back to the 4 from the 5. I have a Guitarbass VI and going from 4 to 6 with the narrow spacing I find I'm struggling when trying to jump to the top three strings. I guess if I played both more often I'd get it. 

3 hours ago, Franticsmurf said:

I play 5 string now and again, very rarely, so I find it hard to go from 4 to 5 but easier to come back to the 4 from the 5. I have a Guitarbass VI and going from 4 to 6 with the narrow spacing I find I'm struggling when trying to jump to the top three strings. I guess if I played both more often I'd get it. 

Probably from the neighbours. 🤣

• Haha 3