Why become a member? ×

Fenton Weill Basses - any love out there?

Gasman

After unexpectedly having the chance to try out a Fender Mustang last week I got enthusiastic about buying one for myself, or at least something similar like the Squier Rascal, as a complete change from my conventional J and MM big boys - fast fingering, low weight, what's not to like?

Sanity prevailed when I remembered my rapidly diminishing bank account (two privately rebuilt teeth recently = £2k) and the fact that I still had that old Fenton Weill bass up in the loft that I was given in 1974 - vintage even then! - surely that was a shorty and worth another try before splashing more cash? 

When I was first given it the poor old thing had a very tatty dark maroon finish, a cracked scratch plate and two non-functioning tuners. Nowadays that might  have added value by making it 'road-worn' but back then I had no qualms about restoring it. The paint was stripped back to natural wood, the whole thing polyurethane lacquered, the tuners were all replaced, new pot-knobs fitted and I had a new scratch-plate made by Taffy, a very clever tech in Yeovil where I was living at the time. It was my only bass until '79, when I splashed out on a new Jazz, at which point it went into storage.

So I recovered it from the loft last week 44 years later, fitted a new set of Tru-Bass strings and plugged it into my Cube 100w combo for a trip down nostalgia lane. Wow! The very punchy sound from those twin PUPs was still there, the 30" neck and floating bridge were a pleasure to play on and it still looks (to me) amazing for a 60-year-old bass.

Downsides? Well, it weighs in at 10lb (4.5 kilos)so it's no lightweight and the neck is pretty narrow (40mm at the nut) - not for the sausage-fingered, I think, although fine for my cute little mitts! It's going on-stage this weekend, should be fun.

Does anyone else play one of these or anything similar? Here are some pix of the beast...

IMAG9422.jpg

IMAG9421.jpg

IMAG9420.jpg

IMAG9417.jpg

IMAG9416.jpg

• Like 11

Lovely original condition! Interesting - same body and PUPs as mine, different tuner arrangement on the headstock, plus double-layer scratch-plate and some switches! I wonder what year ours are?

Yes, the Martian Cricket Bat soubriquet is very appropriate given the neck profile, although maybe it's more like a baseball bat...

Edited by Gasman
more info added

4 hours ago, Cestrian said:

IMG_0617.thumb.png.c2644e7ac43d202664af75d05619aa0f.png

I’ve got one. All original as far as I’m aware. Don’t play it as often as I’d like because I tend to use my Mustang. Really fond of it though. Affectionately known as Martian Cricket Bats in some quarters. 

IMG_0616.png

Cool! What do the knobs and switches do?

Yes, looking on the ‘Black Guitar’ vintage guitar website, mine looks like a ‘61 Contrabass. New price £58 for the guitar and £25 for the rather basic (mmm!) case, total £83 in 1961, equivalent of £1910 today!

Edited by Gasman
Added £ value today