How do you stow your cables?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. As per pics.

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D

7 hours ago, chris_b said:

Never mind roadies. . . .  I was shown how to look after cables by an electrician, so it's always option A.

My Whirlwind instrument cable has celebrated its 40th anniversary.

Likewise. I have two Klotz cables that I bought in 1986, still going strong.

• Like 1

It's all about how you deal with twist. If you want a coil of cable (or rope) to lie flat and not tangle, you need to give it a twist with every turn. 'A' appears to have had that done. If you store cables that way, you have to shake out the twist when you uncoil them.

There are various no-twist methods such as halve and halve again, back and forth and fasten in the middle (figure eight), and there's the 'BBC' method where you coil it one way then the other, so that each coil is twisted in alternate directions.

I still favour a straightforward coil, maybe 40cm diameter, giving a little twist between finger and thumb, then fastening with a reusable cable tie. You have to shake out the twist but they seem less prone to tangling done this way and it's easy and quick to do a neat job.

1 hour ago, jazzyvee said:

I just want to know how to roll an iphone headphone cable and put it into my pocket without it tying itself into knots.🤬

Seriously? Under over and mini cable tie it.

Make a little caddie for it to roll on roll off?

Pocket pen protectors are in Aisle 5.

6 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

Under over coiling puts an invisble geometric twist in that is removed when the cable is straightened out, dead straight. The cable itself doesn't twist. Why anyone would deliberately wind up their cable and have to deal with untwisting it every time is beyond me.

I find that cables coiled this way are more prone to getting tangled when you uncoil them, for some reason.