Why become a member? ×

Battery powered bass amp?

Grahambythesea

They're certainly out there, but maybe also consider a portable battery 'power station' to use with an amp you already have? Probably not the lightest solution, but has the possible advantage of being a generally useful thing to own when not on bass busking duties. I got a Jackery 500 to keep my work laptop/phone/router going in the event of a power cut, and although I can't say that I've tried it, on paper it looks like it should be able to keep my 300W amp going for at least an hour.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

The problem with the PJB Briefcase is it will last about 15-20 mins on a full charged battery - you'll need several more to go busking as lower frequencies take more power.

Halfords do a leisure battery along with a convertor you may want to investigate ....

Alternatively get into a conversation with the next solo guitar busker you meet and ask them

Good luck and let us know about your adventures 

23 minutes ago, Gypsyfolk said:

There are some really good battery powered PA speakers now. EV everse, bose s1 etc. A good bass preamp pedal into one of those won’t flap trousers but will probably produce the best sound to weight ratio.

I use a Bose S1 on battery power for my Kala Uke bass in unplugged trad Irish/folk sessions and its a fantastic bit of kit.. the Uke has a decent sounding active preamp so no need for an external one... nothing lacking in the low end but its a hollow body instrument with a bit of natural bassiness in the tone, a regular solid body electric bass might benefit from an external preamp... we play at acoustic level, fiddles, flutes, accordions, acoustic guitars etc so the S1 isn't being pushed hard and I normally get 3 x 2.5 hour ish gigs out of it before i charge it again which is pretty decent.. 

• Like 3