Why become a member? ×

Is this a genuine Fender Jazz Bridge?

rwillett

I brought this off ebay (yep, first red flag) as a "Genuine Made in Japan Fender Jazz Bridge 1999".

When it turned up, it has a set of holes in the back of the bridge for mounting plus two holes towards the front of the bridge, see pictures below. My MIJ 1997 Fender Jazz Bass only has screws at the back of the bridge. I was told when I brought the bass that the bridge wasn't original, which is why I wanted an original one.

However I now have doubts as to have genuine this bridge is. It's not that well finished on the base of the bridge, but its not too bad, the rest of the bridge looks OK, but it has no other logo on it or stamping.

I have looked through dozens of Fender Jazz basses and cannot find a single picture of a fender with screw holes at the front of the bridge. So I'm wondering if its not genuine.

Any help or advice welcomed.

IMG_0176.jpg

IMG_0178.jpg

IMG_0177.jpg

IMG_0179.jpg

Edited by rwillett

No, not unless it's a model I've not come across :( 

Is it the same as the photos in the eBay listing, if not I would send that back for a full refund, if it is I guess it's a case of buyer beware (and if you try to get a refund there's a good chance the seller will respond 'You got the item in the photos which I personally removed from a MIJ '99 Jazz' or similar guff)

Sorry I can't be more help

It is the same.as in the photos. 

However the eBay title and description says “Genuine Fender…”. 

Should there be a stamping of logo on it? My experience here is pretty much minimal   

it didn’t cost a lot £30 with postage and I’m 99.9% certain that eBay will refund me if I open a dispute as it’s not genuine. I just need some facts to back up my hunch. 

thanks

Rob

I’ve never had a fender bbot bridge with the 2 extra fixing holes on any I’ve had, and neither have they had a logo , just my opinion but I don’t think it’s a fender, didn’t Gotoh do one similar to yours? But I think it had the grooves for the saddle screws 

• Like 1

The extra attachment holes are normally seen on the Gotoh version of the BBOT bridge. If it came from a Japanese Fender bass it might be possible that it came from new like that. I am not sure if Gotoh stamp their BBOT bridge.

@BlueMoon Thanks for this. I have a 97 Fender MIJ Jazz bass and mine has no stampings or logo, and it only has the rear five screws. I think somebody pointed out that the Gotoh might have grooves as well. 

Not found a single picture of any MIJ Fender from that era with seven screws.

Have queried it with the vendor and am awaiting a response.

Thanks

Rob

• Like 1

The vendor has apologised, sent a picture of the one they are going to sen which looks a lot more authentic. 

I was gearing myself up for an argument but they have promised to sort it out. I already have a new tracking number from them. 

I’ll see how it goes. 

rob

• Like 1

I bought this Jim Deacon P bass off of ebay a few years ago as a doer upper it had no pickguard, pups or electrics, it did have one those bridges though. I hope it all gets sorted out.

JDPB'62 -2.jpg

Edited by pst62
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, pst62 said:

I bought this Jim Deacon P bass off of ebay a few years ago as a doer upper it had no pickguard, pups or electrics, it did have one those bridges though. I hope it all gets sorted out.

JDPB'62 -2.jpg

Looks great, nice job 👍 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1