Why become a member? ×

Sire P5 3ts

la bam

Ok, so I'm back on the tribute scene and to be fair you cant play indie music on a sparkly blue shiny bass, so I needed a nice, decent sunburst precision thatd fit in nicely with the look. Fenders were out due to price, so I needed a decent bass for cheap money.

After looking around i found a barely used Sire P5. 

I've had v7s before, nice basses. I also had a p7 which was terrible and was the only bass I've ever sent back. I think it was a bad batch it came from.

So, I'd read and watched quite a few reviews on these p5s, most very positive. So I was hoping for a good bass for the little amount I paid for it. 

On top of the good reviews I'd read some reviewers for some reason making comparisons to american deluxe basses for fit, feel and finish. Obviously that is way wrong and too optimistic....... only it isnt!

The bass is truly stunning! It looks stunning it's a dark, rich 3ts and literally everything is extraordinarily well finished, lacquered and polished!  Its rolled fret edges are the best I've ever come across and the whole thing has been done with care and attention. The all over kind of gloss finish is up there with the top basses. 

The p bass sound I always get no matter what p bass I play is a bottom string heavy slightly dull sound. However this p5 nails the sound I've always wanted - think geezer butler doing the intro solo before NIB on the Black Sabbath album.

So far - stunning looks, feel, playability and sound, so it was time for the real test - band practice with a loud indie band.

It absolutely shone! Very clear, punchy and musical sounding. It never got washed out in the mix and the upper strings came through with clarity and presence. The tone pot made a subtle difference all the way through the range which was nice as well.

All in all a superb bass. I expected a lot to be fair and got a lot more.

Now, time to check out the other colours available and get them into my other bands!

20230620_235658.jpg

Edited by la bam
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

I think Sire describe it as "tobacco burst", despite every other manufacturer having a tobacco burst that's effectively a 2TS with just the black and brown bands. This is a 2TS with red and brown. I have a tobacco burst V7 and it's great (albeit it will be sold later in the year to finance a bass I've been after for years) - enjoy!

Nice colour, congrats!.  Nevertheless, I have to disagree with:

On 20/06/2023 at 23:58, la bam said:

...and to be fair you cant play indie music on a sparkly blue shiny bass,

Yeah, you can.

On the other hand, as an excuse to buy a new bass, getting an appropriate coloured bass is valid.

• Like 1