Why become a member? ×

Creation Audio Funkulator On The Cheap?

stewblack

Looking for video of my incoming Meridian Funkulator pedal I kept stumbling across this 

Screenshot_2023-06-17-14-09-43-99_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.thumb.jpg.ada3869d3ed64dd160fa8c263f8adbca.jpg

It appears to do nothing more than reduce the 800 Hz frequency. I stand to be corrected of course.

So I made one. Cheap graphic with a slider set to control the 800. Pulled it down. Bingo.

And you know what? It makes a big difference.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Looking for video of my incoming Meridian Funkulator pedal I kept stumbling across this 

Screenshot_2023-06-17-14-09-43-99_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.thumb.jpg.ada3869d3ed64dd160fa8c263f8adbca.jpg

It appears to do nothing more than reduce the 800 Hz frequency. I stand to be corrected of course.

So I made one. Cheap graphic with a slider set to control the 800. Pulled it down. Bingo.

I guess we're talking scooping out the mid-range to benefit slappity-poppity shenanigans?

19 minutes ago, JapanAxe said:

I guess we're talking scooping out the mid-range to benefit slappity-poppity shenanigans?

I confess there was much mention of that, but I don't go in for it. I was more interested in the effect it had on the tone. 

I stroke my strings lovingly rather than twanging and bashing them.

Yep, it's just a mid scoop but the Funkulator does it by using an inductor, as in the classic rlc passive circuit (a decent inductor coil is not the cheapest thing). It also has a line driver built in with a buffered 300ohm output.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, LukeFRC said:

I can’t imagine that it’s that high! 

Well according to the specs of their Redeemer circuit, it has a 2Mohm input impedence and a 300 ohm output.

For me the Funkulator would be a more tempting purchase if they had a frequency select, something like the Pultec EQ5 with selectable mid frequencies but then the price would shoot up. Having said that I've been tempted to put my own version together as a tapable inductor of the type used in the Pultec is about £50, and the circuit around it is well known by now.

1 minute ago, Boodang said:

Well according to the specs of their Redeemer circuit, it has a 2Mohm input impedence and a 300 ohm output.

For me the Funkulator would be a more tempting purchase if they had a frequency select, something like the Pultec EQ5 with selectable mid frequencies but then the price would shoot up. Having said that I've been tempted to put my own version together as a tapable inductor of the type used in the Pultec is about £50, and the circuit around it is well known by now.

Looked it up, less than 75ohm according to this https://www.creationaudiolabs.com/redeemer 

anyway I think I 300 as 300k so my misreading. I currently finding a valve preamp pedal into a 10M input isn’t great!

7 hours ago, stewblack said:

PS meant to say that the main reason for a passive rlc circuit over an active eq, is that in theory there is no phase distortion. Whether or not you can tell the difference is another matter of course, although given that inductor based circuits will inevitably cost considerably more might be one reason people reckon they sound better!

Scooping out the 800Hz frequency area is what the Tech 21 Bass Driver, or cheap Behringer BDI21 clone, does as well.

I stroke my strings lightly too, rather than striking or pulling them, but I do so in sort of an inwards sort of slapping motion.

Personally though I very much like my mids, and the articulation and snap that the 800Hz frequency area helps with enhancing.

Not going to pay for having my tone, in my opinion, sound like a floppy dead dull wet noodle with no definition, articulation or edge.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

I nabbed one in a trade as I was curious. It sounds like it’s not just a scoop at 800 but also a bump in the highs and lows.

*Edit* The highs and lows are gain adjusted to maintain an even volume so not boosted so much as you don’t lose volume and the Q of the mid cut at 800Hz becomes narrower the more you dial the single control up. I’m guessing that’s why at lower settings (before noon) it can add to finger style and as you go higher the scoop is quite focused. 

I know it has the Redeemer buffer built in too. I’m not aware of how it achieves the scoop - inductor or otherwise - but there’s no volume change when engaging the pedal and it’s a sturdy wee box! 

I was trying it set anywhere from 1100/noon up to about 1500. It sounded great for finger styles set just below noon. Paired with a drive pedal it added another tonal colour taking an already decent low gain tone and adding an Ampeg scoop quality to it which I think sound great - really added a nice contrast to the drive pedal’s character (I was using new Beta MkV from SGFX) especially set up about noon for drive sounds and up at 1400/1500 for the one section where I bust out a little slap part in our Sweet Dreams cover.

I found the Funkulator really lifted things up and made my jazz bass sound great - deep lows, crisp highs and just the right scoop, never too zingy or gackky on the high end. It’s a great pedal for only having one control and not for everyone but it’s got its own thing going on. Im a previous EWS BMC user which is another great wee eq but I don’t think it added the sweetness to the lows and highs either side of the frequency being cut the way the Funkulator does. 

I use iem and an on stage amp for feel and it definitely made for a nice sound to my in ears and never caused the amp to struggle. 

I’ll maybe not keep it forever but I’m enjoying what it brings to the board and how it adds a no brainer eq which actually works well giving me an instant A tone/B tone on my clean, finger style, on slap sounds and can enhance drive pedals to add more character/flavour. 

I wasn’t planning to write this much but it’s easy to overlook what on the surface seems like a very limited pedal. 

Edited by krispn
More info
  • Like 1