Why become a member? ×

Best Bass Bargain of All Times - 2013 Fender American Deluxe V

Eldon Tyrell

8 minutes ago, asingardenof said:

Honestly this is the biggest bargain on that site: https://thebassgallery.com/collections/bass/products/fender-jazz-bass-1992. I'm sure that £5 off £20k makes all the difference...

image.thumb.png.4ef160a84dc9ebfb72be476eb0198202.png

Well the bass (or, to be more precise, its headstock) got featured on a book from the 90s. So, yes, great bargain indeed 🙂 

s-l960.thumb.jpg.cbee6dcf847308a0ab659e7495aa80ab.jpg 

15 minutes ago, asingardenof said:

It's still showing as available at the original price for me.

I guess it used to be available for £1450, then it went on sale for £0 (see screenshots in my first post), then it "sold" and now it is book for £1450. It probably was just a technical glitch. Not sure what the laws says if you buy something for £0 and then the retailer says no. Didn't have the time to try it out myself 😉 

1 minute ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

I guess it used to be available for £1450, then it went on sale for £0 (see screenshots in my first post), then it "sold" and now it is book for £1450. It probably was just a technical glitch. Not sure what the laws says if you buy something for £0 and then the retailer says no. Didn't have the time to try it out myself 😉 

I'm sure in the past both sides have realised that something had gone wrong and agreed not to be d*cks about things, but I imagine there would be people who would try and enforce it.

Sellers aren't legally obliged to sell you anything at any price - even if you buy it and the money leaves the account they can refund you. If an error is made the item has to be removed from sale for a period of 24 hours and then returned to sale at the correct price.

Of course there are tales of massive discounts being pounced on and retailers biting the bullet and avoiding disappointing customers and potentially complaints. They are legally not supposed to honour the error but sometimes it's just easier 😅

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I remember all this from many years ago when a digital camera was put up at a ridiculously cheap price on Kodak's website. Of course lots of people tried to buy it, and eventually the retailer decided to let those people have it for the low price (including me). The establishment of a contract to sell requires the seller to offer the item (invitation to treat), the potential buyer to offer to buy, and the seller to accept the offer. Also, there is no obligation to sell at the price stated if it is patently wrong, so even a Fender is obviously worth more than £0. There's generally an "E&OE" knocking about somewhere - errors and omissions excepted. Aha. https://www.theguardian.com/money/2002/feb/02/jobsandmoney is the Kodak story.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, BassApprentice said:

Sellers aren't legally obliged to sell you anything at any price - even if you buy it and the money leaves the account they can refund you. If an error is made the item has to be removed from sale for a period of 24 hours and then returned to sale at the correct price.

Quite so.

The Gallery did something different for me.

I purchased a secondhand Ibanez EDC700 from them. 

Except it had already been sold and left the building quite some time previously!

Yeah, they refunded me, but how can you not know what is and is not in inventory?

Doesn't fill me with confidence. 

It's not like the Gallery is a warehouse like the one in the closing scene of "Raiders of the Lost Ark"...

12 hours ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

Quite so.

The Gallery did something different for me.

I purchased a secondhand Ibanez EDC700 from them. 

Except it had already been sold and left the building quite some time previously!

Yeah, they refunded me, but how can you not know what is and is not in inventory?

Doesn't fill me with confidence. 

It's not like the Gallery is a warehouse like the one in the closing scene of "Raiders of the Lost Ark"...

They need a new website and a good inventory management system, esp. as they list stock on their website and on Reverb. Same is true for Bass Direct (but their new website is apparently coming 🤞)

• Like 1