Why become a member? ×

For those who have had to use a backup bass, why?

Lozz196

For those who have had to use a backup bass, why?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. For those who’ve had to use a backup bass, why?

• String break
    • Electrical fault
    • Broken by bandmate
    • Broken by audience
    • Other

I've put electrical fault (once a battery and a couple of wiring / jack issues), but I have broken a string once (maybe twice). Over 45 years gigging, I've only needed a spare on four or five occasions - but it always seems to happen on big or important gigs! 

I take a spare whenever its feasible... 

String break at Rock city supporting Dokken, it was the E and whole song revolved around the open E. quick change time! Also had an electrical failure at some venue in Leicester supporting Sikth when my stingray died for no apparent reason, it was fine the next day. 

Broken string on the first note of the first song at a well paying NYE gig about 10 years ago. Grabbed the backup bass and was back in the song before the end of the first verse. 

And I've had one dodgy jack socket as well. 

I've always taken a spare bass to every gig since I've been able to afford such a luxury 

5 hours ago, Steve Browning said:

In my case, a machine head broke while I was tuning in the dressing room. Couple of odd electrical things over the years, but that's the main one.

This has happened to me twice.

First time it was the E string and I had to restring my bass EAD on the ADG heads during the first verse of the first song. 

Second time was during a set and I had a spare bass in the pile of cases and boxes. 

I've also had the support bassist get his lead trapped under the dressing room door and instead of going back and seeing what it was caught on, he just grabbed it with both hands and yanked it. Which freed the cable alright, but left the jack plug in the dressing room. 😆

I begrudgingly lent him one of my spares. 

Edited by TimR

3 hours ago, pbasspecial said:

Match sticks work a treat as a mini dowl to fill out the hole. 

I know - I fixed it that way at home.

But that would have taken even longer than a mid song string change to sort out properly. Far better to swap to a different bass.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TimR said:

I've also had the support bassist get his lead trapped under the dressing room door and instead of going back and seeing what it was caught on, he just grabbed it with both hands and yanked it. Which freed the cable alright, but left the jack plug in the dressing room. 😆

I begrudgingly lent him one of my spares. 

C. On a bike! I misread this and thought the support bassist got 'his head trapped ... grabbed it, etc.' Well,  it's been a hot day, have had a three hour rehearsal and various bottles of Guinness. 😱

• Haha 1