Why become a member? ×

Preamp for IEM option paralysis... please help!

Jackopie1

Hi all, 

Please could I canvas some opinions? I'm not really a gearhead at all, and have never spent north of 90 quid on a pedal, so want to get this one  right! 

I would like a quality preamp!/di pedal to ideally give my IEM mix a bit more of a warm and less sterile feel for a corporate/functions group (as well as a nice foh tone). It feels so sterile having a straight di tone going straight into my ears! A secondary function would be to help with rubbish backlines or di situations at festivals and club gigs with original projects. 

It would be amazing if there was something that feels amp/tube like, although I understand there's nothing that is truly going to cop that feel! 

I don't know if this is useful, but I play mainly soul, funk and pop. Love the big, warm tones of George Porter Jr and Pino with D'Angelo. Totally understand that lots of that is strings and technique, but I feel like I've got that in front of an amp. My favourite that I've played infront of was an all valve Trace Elliot with 4x10.

Budget is around 350 quid. 

The OE Bassrigs? I'm a little worried about reports of the cabsims being dark out of the di? 

The new Ampeg looks cool? Not sure it feels as amplike to play as the Bassrigs? But flexibility of IRs means I'm sure to find something I love for IEMs, right!? 

Or go something like a Sushi Box and then add an IR loader if I feel like I need it once I've had a play?

Am I missing anything obvious? 

I went down the Sansamp route and found it a little grindy in-ears. 

Apologies for the long post- there are just so many options! 

Jack

Edited by Jackopie1

I found the TC Electronic spectradrive to be a good choice. Reasons I like it; 4 band eq gives you better control over the mids, and the Spectracomp and drive toneprints mean it's not a one trick pony, and there are lots of presets to try out. Plenty of variety in the toneprint app to find something that suits, each one is like loading up a new pedal. Very flexible piece of kit.

• Like 2

I know you mentioned the Sansamp was a bit "grindy", but have you tried the VTBass? I use that currently for my IEMs and that gives me a nice fat warm sound.

There is also the Two Notes Revolt Bass which I absolutely love the look and sound of.

And as Boodang said, the SpectraDrive is great (assuming it has essentially the same circuitry as the old RH amp heads, or at least can sound like them).

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Killerfridge said:

I know you mentioned the Sansamp was a bit "grindy", but have you tried the VTBass? I use that currently for my IEMs and that gives me a nice fat warm sound.

There is also the Two Notes Revolt Bass which I absolutely love the look and sound of.

And as Boodang said, the SpectraDrive is great (assuming it has essentially the same circuitry as the old RH amp heads, or at least can sound like them).

Sorry man, yeah it was the VT bass I borrowed. Maybe didn't give it enough of a chance. 

That 2 notes does look great actually. 

Hadn't considered the Spectradrive. Not sure why, the digital thing puts me off a little, but going to have a little listen to some demos of it with my IEMs. Thanks! 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

NuX MLD?  Not mega expensive but you have 3 amps 8 cabs and mid control (+drive).

I did look at that and think it looks cool, but read a huge thread on it on another forum, half of which was complaining about the software not working, amd many of which were complaining of the drive sound since a firmware update or something! Do you have experience gigging with one? 

Thanks for the suggestion! 

15 minutes ago, Jackopie1 said:

I did look at that and think it looks cool, but read a huge thread on it on another forum, half of which was complaining about the software not working, amd many of which were complaining of the drive sound since a firmware update or something! Do you have experience gigging with one? 

Thanks for the suggestion! 

I bought one (as well as 3 other preamps) in my pursuit of IEM tone as you are... to find it was the fault of the desk, not my gear choices.  :/  Oddly I've gone back to the Sansamp which I had all along.  

I've had no issues with software, though I did read up how to avoid the issue if it did happen.  Only thing I find is that I can't 'quite' get the smidgen of drive that I require; it tends to go from no drive to too much, despite balancing level and drive.  However, I might not be using it to its best ability or missing some important interaction.  

Don't get me wrong it is very good and defo gives you a more realistic amped tone but I'm finding the sansamp or Paradrive does what I want easier!  :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jackopie1 said:

Sorry man, yeah it was the VT bass I borrowed. Maybe didn't give it enough of a chance. 

That 2 notes does look great actually. 

Hadn't considered the Spectradrive. Not sure why, the digital thing puts me off a little, but going to have a little listen to some demos of it with my IEMs. Thanks! 

The VT definitely can do grindy, so I'm not doubting your experience with it! The character dial really affects how much "grind" you get. Have a listen to how I use it here (just through the VT, no other eq/effects etc.):

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Killerfridge said:

The VT definitely can do grindy, so I'm not doubting your experience with it! The character dial really affects how much "grind" you get. Have a listen to how I use it here (just through the VT, no other eq/effects etc.):

Yeah, that sounds really nice! Maybe I'll see if I can borrow it again amd have another go. 

I'm loving my Jad Freer Capo, incredible bit of kit (sorry for adding more options). Remarkably versatile, not emulating a specific amp but just sounds excellent.

I use it for everything from soft folk to obnoxiously noisy punk and it always delivers.

No cabsim but it has an LPF which trims off a little high end for a more cab-like frequency range. 

• Like 1

I've been using the Aggy Tonehammer DI for several years and cant fault it for quality toneshaping, plus it has the AGS circuit (although the gain jump when you engage it is, for me, not great). I play in similar genre bands to you and it seems to fit that niche well (using active 5 string, p bass, Fender Jazz and fretless). £263 from GAK currently and in stock!

• Like 1

I guess the morale of this post is that there are a lot of options out there!

If you don't mind loosing a little money on return shipping you might be better making the most of return policies and try them out.

Could grab a bassrig and the ampeg and audition them both, send back the looser. Preferably after doing some side by side recording's of them for us to listen to 🙌

• Like 2

20 hours ago, MrDinsdale said:

I'm loving my Jad Freer Capo, incredible bit of kit (sorry for adding more options). Remarkably versatile, not emulating a specific amp but just sounds excellent.

I use it for everything from soft folk to obnoxiously noisy punk and it always delivers.

No cabsim but it has an LPF which trims off a little high end for a more cab-like frequency range. 

Okay, now that looks and sounds awesome.  I'd love to try one of them! Thanks. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrDinsdale said:

I guess the morale of this post is that there are a lot of options out there!

If you don't mind loosing a little money on return shipping you might be better making the most of return policies and try them out.

Could grab a bassrig and the ampeg and audition them both, send back the looser. Preferably after doing some side by side recording's of them for us to listen to 🙌

Yeah!! Feeling if anything more confused😂

But appreciate all the feedback. I can't quite stretch to the outlay of both at the same time, but I think returns could be the way forward. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Steve_M said:

I've been using the Aggy Tonehammer DI for several years and cant fault it for quality toneshaping, plus it has the AGS circuit (although the gain jump when you engage it is, for me, not great). I play in similar genre bands to you and it seems to fit that niche well (using active 5 string, p bass, Fender Jazz and fretless). £263 from GAK currently and in stock!

That's now on my radar as well- and unlike some of the others there's one I could try near me. Thanks! 

I'd go Origin Bassrig '64 given your tonal requirements... I'm confused about your worry about a dark DI and wanting to sound like Pino does with D' Angelo though. Surely a 60's P with very well used flats doesn't have much high end going on anyway! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bigwan said:

I'd go Origin Bassrig '64 given your tonal requirements... I'm confused about your worry about a dark DI and wanting to sound like Pino does with D' Angelo though. Surely a 60's P with very well used flats doesn't have much high end going on anyway! 

That is a very good point, and in my ideal originals band, that would be my tone all the time! 

However, these corporate gigs call for a bit more versatility and I use a p or a passive mm style bass, both with nickel rounds. 

Yeah, very tempted by the '64. Agonising choosing between that and the SV, or to go slightly more versatile but maybe less convincing with the SGT, not to mention lots of other suggestions by users!

20 minutes ago, Jackopie1 said:

That is a very good point, and in my ideal originals band, that would be my tone all the time! 

However, these corporate gigs call for a bit more versatility and I use a p or a passive mm style bass, both with nickel rounds. 

Yeah, very tempted by the '64. Agonising choosing between that and the SV, or to go slightly more versatile but maybe less convincing with the SGT, not to mention lots of other suggestions by users!

Have a check out of Jayme Lewis' unboxing livestream of the SGT he just did yesterday; he does a really good job of fiddling with it to see what sort of sounds and styles it can do:

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jackopie1 said:

Okay, now that looks and sounds awesome.  I'd love to try one of them! Thanks. 

Yeah they're really remarkable but given the lack of UK distribution you kind of have to take a bit of a gamble on shipping and taxes etc. It's the ultimate all round utility pedal though for tone shaping, excellent DI and surgical EQ.

To be honest between the Origin, Ampeg and more boutique options like the Capo you're gonna get a pretty incredible sound. If it's enough to offset the GAS is another question altogether 😂

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Killerfridge said:

Have a check out of Jayme Lewis' unboxing livestream of the SGT he just did yesterday; he does a really good job of fiddling with it to see what sort of sounds and styles it can do:

Do you know, I think that demo has sealed it for me. It sounds so good, and so versatile. 

Now, does anyone know where I can find one in stock!? 😬

• Like 2