Why become a member? ×

Origin Effects Super Vintage

pbasspecial

Hi BC’ers,

I was lucky to pick up a s/h Super Vintage in 

mint condition yesterday and had a little play around with it today. Seems like a great pedal and built like a tank too. 
I just wondered what your thoughts were and if you have an tips/settings, pedal chain placement, etc  you’d recommend to get the best out of it. 
Thanks in advance. 

Edited by pbasspecial
  • Like 2

Following as I've just had one arrive today too (think I just missed the one you have!). 

My plan is last in line... technically last but one with my Darkglass Element as a cab sim and headphone amp after, but using the DI from the Super Vintage. Tuner, compressor and a drive (or 2) up front. 

• Like 2

I have one. I run it at the end of my chain. Tuner > Comp > Drive > Chorus > BassRig. 

I run the blend at max. push the treble and bass a little. cut the mids a little. I set it so there's always a little bit of breakup going on. 

Once it's plugged into an amp + cab I use the little LF and HF controls and the switch at the bottom to dial in the sound through the amp and cut high frequencies out if the cab has a tweeter. Those three controls don't effect the DI output. 

The amp output can't have the cab sim on it. Only the DI can. So if you use the DI for gigs ideally you need to hear that output somehow. Routed to stage monitors for example. For me that's not ideal. My band doesn't own a PA and I don't own anything with a balanced input at home that I can use to really sit and listen to that output to dial everything in. I just have to trust sound guys and my ears listening to the room during soundcheck. I sort of found a "workaround" by running the BassRig amp output into an HX Stomp with only an 8x10 model selected. Listening on the HX Stomp headphone output. From that I found a happy starting point for the main controls that gives me a wacky approximation of what the DI output should sound like. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, northcountrybob said:

The amp output can't have the cab sim on it. Only the DI can. So if you use the DI for gigs ideally you need to hear that output somehow. Routed to stage monitors for example. For me that's not ideal. My band doesn't own a PA and I don't own anything with a balanced input at home that I can use to really sit and listen to that output to dial everything in. I just have to trust sound guys and my ears listening to the room during soundcheck. I sort of found a "workaround" by running the BassRig amp output into an HX Stomp with only an 8x10 model selected. Listening on the HX Stomp headphone output. From that I found a happy starting point for the main controls that gives me a wacky approximation of what the DI output should sound like. 

Same reason I'm keeping the Darkglass Element on my board! I could use a small Behringer mixer I have I suppose, but the Element is less hassle.

I had some actual spare time yesterday evening with the tv remote so I found the videos by erm that German? Danish? chap who reviews bass gear - it was a comparison and explanation of both the super vintage and the '64. The bass player he had demo'ing them got some really good noises out of them (what a good player too).

Someone put me out of my misery and tell me the reviewer's channel/name?!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Daz39 said:

I had some actual spare time yesterday evening with the tv remote so I found the videos by erm that German? Danish? chap who reviews bass gear - it was a comparison and explanation of both the super vintage and the '64. The bass player he had demo'ing them got some really good noises out of them (what a good player too).

Someone put me out of my misery and tell me the reviewer's channel/name?!

BassTheWorld?

Edited by Bigwan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 17/05/2023 at 17:16, pbasspecial said:

Hi BC’ers,

I was lucky to pick up a s/h Super Vintage in 

mint condition yesterday and had a little play around with it today. Seems like a great pedal and built like a tank too. 
I just wondered what your thoughts were and if you have an tips/settings, pedal chain placement, etc  you’d recommend to get the best out of it. 
Thanks in advance. 

Like most here - I treat it like an amp and stick it at the end of my signal chain just after a compressor. Effects / whacky noise pedals get patched in ahead of the compressor. 

Personally I cut the lows a little, boost the mids a bit and run with the gain just on the edge of breakup.

• Thanks 1

I have the Super Vintage as well and I love it.

Just like almost everyone else, I run it at the end of the signal chain, as you'd do with an "original" amplifier.

My setup is:

Wireless/tuner, Compressor, BassRig

I don't have much "drive" in the sound, just a very slight amount to colour it a little.

I took the initial settings from the ones Origin suggest in the manual and tweaked them a little to suit.

20221030_185412.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1