Why become a member? ×

Precision bass control plate?

Brian18242

1 hour ago, Beedster said:

Stingray plate won’t fit, I tried on standard Fender P. I’ve got two Precision versions somewhere, if I can find them you can have them 😀

Agreed. I tried a stingray plate on my bitsa precision and whilst you can position it on the body in a way that looks OK, when the controls are fitted and sitting in the routing, the positioning is way off and the only way to make it work would be to butcher the routing.

I looked everywhere for a chrome control plate based on the tail end of a precision pick guard but they just don't seem to exist. As mentioned by @PaulThePlug I ended up creating one by getting a mirrored acrylic pick guard (ala Phill Lynott) and cutting it down with a hacksaw and filing the edges (pic below).

I'd always intend to look at getting one custom made but just never got around to it. Much later I came across this post from a fellow BassChatter who does custom CNC work and it looks like he might be more than capable of producing the required part. Once again, I never got around to following it up.

I did wonder if custom work might be expensive and if there are any economies of scale to be gained by producing a few in one batch. If this is something the OP would want to pursue, I wouldn't mind sharing the cost of a limited run.

IMG_0451.jpeg

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

No, I followed it up but it turned out to be cost prohibitive to have them CNC’d. I still have it at the back of my mind to look at alternatives but haven’t had time to do anything about it.