Why become a member? ×

Pick up height ?

dmccombe7

Too high can lead to weird overtones (somethings sounding out of tune with the fundamental note) and a "deadening" of the sound due to the magnetic forces dampening the string vibrations.

If the pickup is a bit too low you can always turn up something in your signal chain to compensate.

• Thanks 2

I've definitely noticed on my jazz that if they are too high they seem "overloaded", but not in a nice way. And the G can have the weird overtones mentioned above. And too low and some of the fullness is missing.

I've found that there is a sweet spot and its very slightly different depending on the gauge of the strings. 

• Thanks 1

I've just changed the pickup height on my Thumb BO to the "Warwick recommended" height, and it feels like a different instrument. They had sunk over time as the springs had been replaced with foam, so were really low down. Other than volume, it feels more responsive? It's probably psychological, but I am so happy

• Like 1

The foam, under the pickups, on my '73 P bass is so knackered I actually cant adjust the heights, which is annoying because my A string is slightly quieter than the others. It been like this for most of the 33 years I've owned it.

One day, new foam and I'll adjust it all up

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

Too high can lead to weird overtones (somethings sounding out of tune with the fundamental note) and a "deadening" of the sound due to the magnetic forces dampening the string vibrations.

If the pickup is a bit too low you can always turn up something in your signal chain to compensate.

Is this more obvious with valve amps? Just asking as the one time I gigged a valve amp I couldn't hear what I was playing as the overtones took over.

There is a correct height, the following is from the Fender Support page online:

Setting pickups too high can cause a number of unusual occurrences. Depress strings at last fret. Using a 6" (150 mm) ruler, measure the distance from the bottom of the first and fourth strings to top of the pole piece. A good rule of thumb is that the distance should be greatest at the fourth-string neck pickup position and closest at the first-string bridge pickup position. Follow the measurement guidelines from the chart below as starting points. The distance will vary according to the amount of magnetic pull from the pickup.

Note: Larger string gauges need wider vibrational allowances. If you have a five-string bass or are using heavier-gauge strings, your measurements must be increased accordingly.

Shop Pickups

Bass SideTreble Side

Vintage style8/64" (3.2 mm)6/64" (2.4 mm)

Noiseless™ Series8/64" (3.2 mm)6/64" (2.4 mm)

Standard "J" or "P"7/64" (2.8 mm)5/64" (2 mm)

Special Design Humbuckers7/64" (2.8 mm)5/64" (2 mm)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The optimum height of a pickup will depend on lots of different things including but not limited to:

The strength of the magnets

The gauge of the strings

How high/low your actions is set

How hard you play

How far up the neck you play

Where the pickup is situated in relation to the string length

It's best to dispense with the ruler and use your ears to hear when they are the right distance.

Edited by BigRedX
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Grahambythesea said:

There is a correct height, the following is from the Fender Support page online:

Setting pickups too high can cause a number of unusual occurrences. Depress strings at last fret. Using a 6" (150 mm) ruler, measure the distance from the bottom of the first and fourth strings to top of the pole piece. A good rule of thumb is that the distance should be greatest at the fourth-string neck pickup position and closest at the first-string bridge pickup position. Follow the measurement guidelines from the chart below as starting points. The distance will vary according to the amount of magnetic pull from the pickup.

Note: Larger string gauges need wider vibrational allowances. If you have a five-string bass or are using heavier-gauge strings, your measurements must be increased accordingly.

Shop Pickups

Bass SideTreble Side

Vintage style8/64" (3.2 mm)6/64" (2.4 mm)

Noiseless™ Series8/64" (3.2 mm)6/64" (2.4 mm)

Standard "J" or "P"7/64" (2.8 mm)5/64" (2 mm)

Special Design Humbuckers7/64" (2.8 mm)5/64" (2 mm)

This is really interesting and decided to check my main basses :-

Sandberg VM4 is 3mm / 2.5mm. I've never adjusted this bass much since buying it. It was pretty much perfect when i got it from Classic and Cool Guitars. Only thing was a minor adj on truss when i changed to a different string that i cant recall what they were and since put it back.

Sandberg MarloweDK is nearer 2.5mm / 2mm at neck pick up and a touch less at bridge pick up. Never adjusted pick ups on this one either. 2nd hand from Bass Direct.

Fender Vintera P bass is 3mm / 2.5mm but the split pick ups are angled with the E string pole slightly higher than the A to balance volume level but not much in it.

I enjoyed this and checking mine out of curiosity.

Cheers @Grahambythesea

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7