Why become a member? ×

NBD - Stingray 5 Fretless

drTStingray

No frets here and what a gorgeous bass. I got this from @jhk at the weekend and I’m very happy. It weighs just under 10 lbs and sounds huge!! It’s a 1992 bass, so over 30 yrs old. 

The neck has a lot of Birds Eye and the fretboard also has figuring. Altogether a very pretty (imho) and great sounding bass. 

Edited by drTStingray
Space cleared for new pics!
  • Like 16

It was pretty clean when I bought it but has now had a polish and deep clean (ie under the pickguard, in the routs, and lemon oil of the fretboard) - scrubs up beautifully and looks new - the neck now has Cobalt flatwounds which not only feel great but sound great as well - you can almost hear the fretboard saying ‘Ah thanks’ in a mwah-ish sort of way, having been relieved of the stainless rounds it had (which are going to find their way - well four of them - on to my Tim Commerford long scale passive)!! 

I’ve had to delete the earlier pics to make space for the new ones (crikey - forum restrictions or what 🤣🤣🥴)

IMG_3807.thumb.jpeg.1f6275a461b10af7246e9b46f2522289.jpeg

IMG_3810.thumb.jpeg.12b73acb9ca0d41f64ad9ee5dcc5a73b.jpeg

Edited by drTStingray
Changed photo
  • Like 1

On 16/05/2023 at 17:15, dub_junkie said:

I had a blueburst fretted SR5 with maple board, white pickup cover and guard back in the mid nineties. I still think its my favourite MM combo along with teal/black/rosewood. 

Really great looking bass😍

A lot of people seem to have had them (or SR4s) in blueburst back in the day. It’s really my favourite older Musicman colour as well (however I wouldn’t say no to a peach one, or pre EB Inca silver - my wallet would not agree though!!)

I’ve been playing this bass both at home a lot and taking it to jams to play a couple of songs - home practice has included doing bass parts like Take Five or Moondance and then improvising a solo based around the melodies of the songs - my intonation accuracy is improving with practice.

However I took it to a jam last night and was asked to play on Moondance (good as I’d been working around that at home) and also some Shadows stuff - the latter posed a few problems as I hadn’t played some of what was asked for at least ten years - culminating in Don’t Cry For Me Argentina which has a nice bass arrangement - which ends up doubling the first couple of bars of the melody in high register at the end…… well I attempted it and I think it was ok!!! I’d say the original bass arrangement was akin to a West End type show song where the bass performs quite an important function. People in the room were complimentary anyway!!! I felt rather self conscious as the lead guitarist was more perfect!! 

Nothing like a fretless 5 to focus the mind (I’ve got a fretless 4 but never even played a fretless 5 until I acquired this bass a couple of weeks ago) am loving it though - a couple of gratuitous photos!! 😅IMG_3802.thumb.jpeg.e4b36a24118982507f83016884fa9ddd.jpeg

IMG_3806.thumb.jpeg.5bbe61d3fbc94f266bee8cf83de4b7ad.jpeg

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 2