Why become a member? ×

Fender P Vintera vs Player vs MIJ.

How1

Does anyone know what the actual differences are? Is the Vintera a replacement model for the player and if so what are the apparent upgrades or differences they’ve introduced? I’m guessing the Japanese Fender workmanship and quality is going to be top notch, I own a Player and the quality control on that is pretty damn good. I’m considering a new P bass and it will be one of these three (there’s absolutely no way I’m paying for a US model).

Edited by How1

Vintera has more vintage specs including a wider nut than the Player. More vintage fret wire as well. The Vintera replaced the Classic series of MIM basses. Both the Player and Vintera series sound good and it boils down to personal preference. You will need to play both to get a sense of which works for you.

The MIJ Precisions, well that depends on which model. The have more variety in their specs and they generally are a great value with excellent build quality. 

Edited by Moving Pictures

Fender Vintera P bass.
Best-looking bass in the store the day I tried it out.

Played it for a nearly half an hour
I have to say the tone was everything you'd want from a P bass..but it just didn't work for me.
Wasn't actually a comfort issue, wasn't simply the neck, it was something I couldn't quite put my finger on.

Really wanted to buy one, but I guess they're just not for me...it might be perfect for you, though.

Not sure about the new MIJ Fender basses, but they used to be the best.

As for the Player basses, sorry, no way.

th-jpeg-464-jpg.jpg

Edited by jd56hawk

Yes.

I'm guessing the neck profile is different than the Fender and some people don't like the finish...I've heard people complain it's too plastic, but I was impressed with everything, other than the strings.

The price is definitely right.

I tried and tried to love my AVRI, it was beautiful and sounded immense, but the nut width defeated me in the end. The Vintera is the same, 44mm. My 70's P's are 41mm, it doesn't sound like much of a difference, but it feels like a lot under my fingers. 

7 hours ago, jd56hawk said:

I was impressed with everything, other than the strings.

The price is definitely right.

All that matters, strings you can change easily and, if you’re anything like me, are probably changed for your favourites almost straight away.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

I tried and tried to love my AVRI, it was beautiful and sounded immense, but the nut width defeated me in the end. The Vintera is the same, 44mm. My 70's P's are 41mm, it doesn't sound like much of a difference, but it feels like a lot under my fingers. 

I think both the Player and the MIJ models are around the 40/41 mark. 44 would be way too wide for my Hobbit hands. Another reason to go for the MiJ.

• Like 1

I have two PBass player series and as working basses used in the band they are superb instruments for me.

Sensible price and easy to add simple mods like hi mass bridge etc etc 

Working bass for £700 new is a no brainer for me and they look and play good 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, BassAdder60 said:

I have two PBass player series and as working basses used in the band they are superb instruments for me.

Sensible price and easy to add simple mods like hi mass bridge etc etc 

Working bass for £700 new is a no brainer for me and they look and play good 

That was my initial plan until I saw the sienna sunburst MiJ! Now I’m trying to talk myself out of spending the extra money I don’t really have 😁. I already have a Player series and it’s a very nice bass so either way I’ll be happy. I was curious what the Vintera brought to the table but that’s off the cards.

I have a CIJ Precision - a 70’s reissue from the early 2000s, and a Mexican Player Precision. The CIJ is pure comfort and tone. The Player is up there in comfort, the tone is a bit anemic at times - but it’s not a fair comparison as the CIJ has a rosewood neck and flats, the Player has a maple neck and rounds. All in all I’d take the CIJ everytime but I wouldn’t be crying if all I had was the Player. Both necks feel SO good.

I was in a similar position a few months ago, my thoughts were.......

Vintera - loved it. I'm not usually a fan of wider necks, but it was thin front to back and not too much of a struggle to get around. The pups had a really lovely growl to them.

MIJ PB57 - nut width was a little smaller at around 42mm (I think), but was rounder in the hand. Not a baseball bat and still very comfy. I love MIJ basses, especially their reissue range and think they're great basses. Workmanship is 2nd to none. Didn't sound as growly as the Vintera, but had a lovely smooth tone.

Both of the above have gloss necks and thin frets which, for me, is why I thought they played so well. I don't find gloss necks sticky, but it's something to bear in mind as some people don't get on with them. They both have a radius of 7.25 ( I think), so have a nice curve to them. Might not be for you if you venture down the dusty end and like like bending.........but who does that on a precision anyway?!?

Player - lovely neck, felt thinner than a traditional P, but I thought the pups were a bit hi-fi sounding to me.

Also played a US pro 2, but I preferred the Vintera and MIJ.

Personally I'd go for a MIJ reissue. Which one really depends on if you have any preference on maple or rosewood for a board. Haven't seen the sienna burst models, but I don't think it's a reissue? BassBros have a lovely Candy Apple Red PB57 US in stock that was very tempting. 

In the end I went for a limelight and now just have to wait for it to be ready. 20 weeks is killing me!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ezbass said:

All that matters, strings you can change easily and, if you’re anything like me, are probably changed for your favourites almost straight away.

Definitely.

I change strings the minute a new bass is delivered.

1 hour ago, Jonesy said:

The 57 and 62 reissues are both 42mm. They're fantastic basses, your friend would be happy with their new toy 😊

My friend is reassured and has purchased said bass. He is very much looking forward to receiving it.

Thanks,

Rob

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to your friends NBD thread! 😅

The Bass Japan Direct YT channel is worth a watch when you fancy going down a rabbit hole.......

https://youtube.com/@BassJapanDirect

He throws in loads of tidbits about Fender Japan and reckons it's not so clear cut on who does what in some cases. I think he mentioned Tokai made the Jazz Bass Specials even though FujiGen had the fender contract at the time, but they couldn't keep up with demand so outsourced to Tokai.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jonesy said:

I'm looking forward to your friends NBD thread! 😅

The Bass Japan Direct YT channel is worth a watch when you fancy going down a rabbit hole.......

https://youtube.com/@BassJapanDirect

He throws in loads of tidbits about Fender Japan and reckons it's not so clear cut on who does what in some cases. I think he mentioned Tokai made the Jazz Bass Specials even though FujiGen had the fender contract at the time, but they couldn't keep up with demand so outsourced to Tokai.

Cards on the table, my friend is letting me have it…😂

I’ve always been a fan of 80’s and 90’s Japan guitars. I still own one strat, it’s Triggers Broom now really, but it started life as an ‘83 Tokai. I’ve owned a few Fender Flames and Esprits too, which are great quality guitars. 
I need this bass to be a the one I don’t worry so much about on gigs and jams. I’ve been gigging my ‘73, and will continue to do so, but a couple of times recently I’ve been nervous about it in some situations. I bought a ‘78 to use instead, but that’s in really good nick and getting quite valuable too. I also fancy a bass that I can try maybe a different bridge, or guard, or pickups, or pots etc, still keeping the originals and not making permanent modifications of course. 
I’ll check out that link. Sorry to the OP for the thread hijack too.

Rob

Edited by ossyrocks
  • Like 2

On 02/05/2023 at 23:11, jd56hawk said:

Fender Vintera P bass.

I have to say the tone was everything you'd want from a P bass..but it just didn't work for me.
Wasn't actually a comfort issue, wasn't simply the neck, it was something I couldn't quite put my finger on.

Really wanted to buy one, but I guess they're just not for me...it might be perfect for you, though.

th-jpeg-464-jpg.jpg

The Vintera P is a great bass and sounds just like a P should with the stock pickups. The neck is wide though. Too much so for me as well.

As for the OP play a few and choose the one that works for you. Country of origin or model doesn’t really matter.

• Like 1

On 02/05/2023 at 23:11, jd56hawk said:

Fender Vintera P bass.

th-jpeg-464-jpg.jpg

He three at one point! The neck was just a tad too wide for me but great bass guitars! Had player series and it was ok! Bit like a Squier!

• Like 1