Why become a member? ×

Fretless stingray bass

MM Stingray 62

36 minutes ago, nige1968 said:

Covid / market forces? They have slimmed their range an awful lot but left the door open to bringing them back at some unspecified time.

This forum might be the place to ask: https://forums.ernieball.com/threads/can-we-get-some-fretless-options-again.73076/

They need Pino (or someone as high profile in the bass world) to play his fretless on a popular song again, with some like Laurie Latham mixing, that’ll surely spark some GAS in those who haven’t considered one and EB would probably more than happy to fill the gap. However, with the price of US models these days, maybe they should release them in the SBMM range.

I defretted a US SUB (by I, I mean I had The Gallery do it and a top notch job it was too), which I eventually sold (smacks self sharply on back of head), sounded great.

I bought the StingRay fretless with a view to seeing if it could oust my passive G&L JB-2 fretless. (I only want to keep the one fretless) 

I've owned a couple of Musicman fretless basses in the past and they are wonderful, it was just hard justifying keeping it when it cost me almost twice what the USA made G&L did. 

One thing about the MM is that I really loved the mid control on the fretless. I've tended to prefer 2EQ on fretted StingRays but the 3EQ was great on a fretless. Nothing that couldn't be adjusted for on your amp but with a fretless, better having it on the bass making it feel that bit more intuitive imo

Screenshot_20230429_184840_Gallery.thumb.jpg.84c599c10441477f0958353299034f2c.jpg

• Like 7

There's also a Ray copy on eBay for £360.

"One problem I’ve tried to fix and got half way with: the marker dots on the first octave are placed slightly wrong. So I’ve ‘redacted’ them and marked (using an accurate tuner) where they should be. The dots after the 12th fret are correct! "

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134547115664?hash=item1f53a20e90:g:ZL4AAOSwa0pkSWA8&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA0HgvWhvgCP9xeuWkz7dBxJKgJu5C%2BeMsEcbVXULm3EdljcZu5kCHDFtgBwHkPkSB9%2F6ymKnwj3LNW0iEevoO6CCFnBlRXtBl%2F0WDE3yoeGIdDrerrDfZBeMWScOFLANgBRD479%2FxXEXe6teq7xljxq2RJf%2BnTBwM%2FrZsRvsltbX2oY5jbYHhBfCp9kfMXN0JSoK9oAycFIYP4tWtlQ2QLscFWXLfMyWg920pgIsJsA7BJI1tyRTmobxuimLyKMe%2BKV%2BXBD1%2Fvv1vTnL9unIM1Tw%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR8Tj2d77YQ

Edited by TheGreek