Why become a member? ×

Doublebass identification Italy 1810

PavelBudik

Pictures! 

Rare to find a genuine label in an old bass I think.

Still, my dad inherited a violin that said Stradivarius inside; obviously it wasn't.... but was still worth a few £1k.

Not many (any) references to any Trinelli making basses ever.  Seems unlikely anyone would fake up a label to someone unheard of! 

Anyway, pictures! If it's a blond plywood one then we can be pretty sure its not from 1810 😁

Edited by NickA
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 19/04/2023 at 11:52, NickA said:

Pictures! 

Rare to find a genuine label in an old bass I think.

Still, my dad inherited a violin that said Stradivarius inside; obviously it wasn't.... but was still worth a few £1k.

Not many (any) references to any Trinelli making basses ever.  Seems unlikely anyone would fake up a label to someone unheard of! 

Anyway, pictures! If it's a blond plywood one then we can be pretty sure its not from 1810 😁

There are the pictures under my post now.

Looks lovely could be great, could be s*it, that's double basses for you. If you've already bought it I'd not worry about value, just get it set up and start learning how to get the best out of it. Ultimately with double basses it's like horse and rider, rider's gotta get to know the horse before the paring works, irrespective of the quality of either

• Like 1

Its definitely old ... and knackered. 

Could be lovely and I hope it's worth doing up. 

Too many nice old basses ending up in a skip because the repair cost is greater than the resale price would be once fixed.  Not helped by some dealers / luthiers trying to make things perfect, when playable would do fine.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, what it is is less certain than what it isn't! It isn't Italian, and it isn't 1810. My guess would be it's a German/Tirolean factory bass, anywhere between 1900 and 1960's. It looks like the shoulders have been extended to give a longer string length. What is the string length? this will help determine what it is. If the timber is decent and it's not too heavily built, it might be very nice with a bit of careful repair and setting up. Nick and I totally agree on this - DON'T have it restored! Get what is necessary done to make it stable and crack free. Play it for a bit to see how it sounds and feels, then if you like it get a good bridge fitted and some nice strings and enjoy!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Someone has taken a fountain pen and tied it to a stick to fake a year onto the serial number. At least you know he made at least 9 before that one. Probably had some chops by then.

Same got done to my Gt. Grandad's violin to make it an antique when he bought it, 16"84". Now it is just an old violin that plays ok if a bit on the heavy side of not very light for a violin.

Best of luck in getting a nice playable bass out of the deal. 

Edited by Downunderwonder
  • Like 1