Why become a member? ×

Compressor > Preamp *Or* Preamp > Compressor

Burns-bass

I'm just rearranging my pedal board, and trying to figure out the best way of arranging it. 

I'd always had the compressor at the end of the signal chain (before the amp), but now I'm going to use the preamp (Stanley Clarke EBS) as a DI out, so should I put this after the compressor?

I've been playing 25 years, but rarely use pedals so this is all new to me. Apologies if this is a rookie question, it is what it is!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

I'm just rearranging my pedal board, and trying to figure out the best way of arranging it. 

I'd always had the compressor at the end of the signal chain (before the amp), but now I'm going to use the preamp (Stanley Clarke EBS) as a DI out, so should I put this after the compressor?

I've been playing 25 years, but rarely use pedals so this is all new to me. Apologies if this is a rookie question, it is what it is!

If your compressor has a DI out, I’d keep it at the end of the chain as this is what you’re used to. However, if it doesn’t and the EBS doesn’t have an FX loop, it’ll need to go before the preamp. I had the same dilemma with my VTDI, but as the VTDI compresses anyway, it’s not really an issue.

If it's this preamp: https://ebssweden.com/content2/effects/ebs-stanley-clarke-signature-acoustic-preamp/  it does indeed have an effects loop, and looking at the manual the loop comes after the amplification and eq stages.  So, you have the choice of having the compressor before or after, whichever sounds best for you.  You'll need to buy a special 'insert' cable if you want to use the effects loop.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, linear said:

If it's this preamp: https://ebssweden.com/content2/effects/ebs-stanley-clarke-signature-acoustic-preamp/  it does indeed have an effects loop, and looking at the manual the loop comes after the amplification and eq stages.  So, you have the choice of having the compressor before or after, whichever sounds best for you.  You'll need to buy a special 'insert' cable if you want to use the effects loop.

This, this, and this. 

Will walk to PMT later and get one. Thanks!

• Like 1

I use the compressor in the FX Loop on the Mesa Subway Plus DI (after EQ).

I found that before the EQ, there where too many things I didn’t want to ear on my final sound (fret noise, string buzz and so on). When I placed the compressor after the EQ, my sound was much more natural and as I always wanted. I also noticed that I compress a lot less after EQ. 
For me, after the EQ is the way to go but it might be better if you try both ways and figure what’s good for you.

Edited by AngeR

Must admit, I like to do both! Both pretty light, but the one at the end the lightest. For me, compression isn't an audio effect, it's more to get the bass strings feeling good. Couple of comps do a better job than one single one in my experience! If I had to just go for one though I'd say the input compressor is more important.

23 minutes ago, AngeR said:

there where too many things I didn’t want to ear on my final sound (fret noise, string buzz and so on). When I placed the compressor after the EQ, my sound was much more natural and as I always wanted. 

I would argue that is less natural. Fret noise is the natural sound!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Elfrasho said:

Must admit, I like to do both! Both pretty light, but the one at the end the lightest. For me, compression isn't an audio effect, it's more to get the bass strings feeling good. Couple of comps do a better job than one single one in my experience! If I had to just go for one though I'd say the input compressor is more important.

Technically it is an effect, but I understand what you mean, also while compression as isn't a tone shaping phenomena a compression pedal can still be, depending, without there being anything wrong with that, I'd even say that's a pretty common application.

Also a compressor won't, and quite obviously can't possibly, in any way change the feel directly, it will change the tone, which then indirectly will change how we perceive the feel of the instrument, how the instrument responds to our playing and how we in terms respond to the instrument, so in that aspect you kind of contradict yourself.

Also if the main purpose of your compressor really is applying compression in the strictest technical sense of the word, rather than primarily being used for tone shaping purposes, logic would dictate that it should be applied as the very last thing in your signal chain, working on the sum of your signal, your final actual signal/tone.

Again nothing wrong with placing a compressor first in your chain, just another point of what you actually wrote not really being logically consistent. 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash