Why become a member? ×

My ‘Only 1 Bass for 3 Months’ Challenge

Chiliwailer

9 minutes ago, Chiliwailer said:

So it’s been a good few months then pal? Still got that  Jazz Bass? 

Funny thing is, my Ray isn’t even my ‘best’ bass, I just a sentimental fool suppose 😂

You’ve opened a can of worms there Chilli. The jazz is the best bass I’ve played but the old P (as I’ve had it decades) is like putting on an old glove. I take the jazz on gigs. When I play bouzouki the guitarist plays bass and will only play the jazz.  And I love playing it.

I'm selling stuff in order - first to go are the Gibsons and a Martin 12

Edited by probonopublico
Plural added

3 minutes ago, probonopublico said:

You’ve opened a can of worms there Chilli. The jazz is the best bass I’ve played but the old P (as I’ve had it decades) is like putting on an old glove. I take the jazz on gigs. When I play bouzouki the guitarist plays bass and will only play the jazz.  And I love playing it.

I'm selling stuff in order - first to go are the Gibsons and a Martin 12

‘Old gloves’, exactly that 👍

Sounds like a good reason to keep the Jazz - it’s a lovely bass all round that one. 

• Like 1

Discussion is relevant to a lot of us in the current climate I expect. But it's not just down to affordability.

If we look back to Jaco Pastorius, he only used two or three essentially similar basses, Rotosound strings, a few specific effects occasionally, and primarily Acoustic amps.

There are advantages to simplifying what you are working with and to really master them.

OTOH, there is so much great gear around today and so many sounds to get our attention, so as consumers, we suffer GAS attacks!

I've only got one bass that I use, with a backup, but it doesn't stop me looking !

• Like 1

Not sure if this counts but I had an operation on my fretting hand a week ago and will not be able to play for at least three months. Therefore my ‘bass’ for this period will be my newly acquired Roland VR-09 keyboard. 

9E037EFA-6285-4250-BA0A-CE96B994AB34.jpeg

• Like 4

I believe that I could pull it off for 90% of the things I play with the BBNE2 I’ve been using. It’s as close to a Swiss Army bass as I’ve seen since I had an RD Artist in the late seventies. Gotta have a fretless around for the odd jazz or rockabilly thing.

• Like 1