Why become a member? ×

Pickups Vs Preamp

Ive got a Cort GB752JH 5 string

(see pic)

Its sounds ok tbh,but id like it to have a bit more finesse.

But im not sure where to start ?

Pickups,or Preamp,or both ?

I'd have the pickups rewound by Catswhisker pickups (Highly recommend independent maker)

rather trying to find something to fit in there.

And then theres the preamp,

Any suggestions on my current layout ?

also i would like to add an active/passive switch to the system.

Any thoughts, recommendations will be greatly welcomed.

Screenshot_20230402-130054.png

I'd start with the preamp. A pickup rewind might get you there but it's a bit drastic as a first choice. Trying out onboard preamps is not easy, it's not like a pedal where you can go to a shop,but I would recommend Audere preamps. Even if you end up rewinding the pickups you wouldn't regret getting a top quality onboard preamp in your bass whichever one you go for, and you might find that alone fixes things for you.

• Like 1

You'll probably get a bunch of different answers, but in my experience start with the Pre. I've transformed the tone on basses by replacing cheaper pots and wiring with good quality parts, while leaving the existing pickup where it is. Many "cheap" pickups are absolutely fine with a decent EQ to get the best out of them. For example, I have two Sunn Mustangs, that are totally original apart from replacing the cheap mini pots and wiring with a @KiOgon loom. The pickups could be described as pretty basic and cheap, but all I can tell you is that they sound absolutely fantastic, just by changing the EQ for better parts. Nowt wrong with the original pickups at all.

SO, I always start with the EQ first and take it from there. A lot of money is wasted on expensive pickups when it's neither necessary or financially sensible. 

EQ and tuners is where I always start with tarting up a bass IF I'm going to keep it. Always bear that in mind when throwing money at guitars, because I was the worlds worst at upgrading then selling gear, and loosing a ton of cash in the process, I've literally lost thousands of pounds in pointless "upgrades" over the years.

Anyway.... that's my input. If you're on a budget, don't waste your money on fancy expensive parts, they're often unnecessary. Do the bare minimum to get it playing and sounding nice and stop there.

• Like 1

I'd start with a better (good quality) pickup. That will be 90% of a good sound if you get the right one. Evaluate one change at a time.

Onboard pre amps are OK, but they are expensive and aren't always better than a passive set up.

I have a passive PJ, with custom wound Seymour Duncan pickups, which sounds better than most active basses I've owned.

Edited by chris_b

On 02/04/2023 at 13:20, known as Signal path said:

Ive got a Cort GB752JH 5 string

(see pic)

Its sounds ok tbh,but id like it to have a bit more finesse.

But im not sure where to start ?

Pickups,or Preamp,or both ?

I'd have the pickups rewound by Catswhisker pickups (Highly recommend independent maker)

rather trying to find something to fit in there.

And then theres the preamp,

Any suggestions on my current layout ?

also i would like to add an active/passive switch to the system.

Any thoughts, recommendations will be greatly welcomed.

The Pre-Amp Push/Pull for Active/Passive on these basses?

I've done more pick up swaps than pre-amps personally. Because If my passive tone is dog poo, the E.Q will only really smear it across your hands not wash it away magically.
Tone wise, there is a lot about for Pre-Amp's and paring up. Having a hot pickup and a hot pre-amp won't add the magic I think you're after? 

questions to ask are:

1. Does the cavity have enough space to take a new pre-amp with out alterations? ,
2. What tone are you after or do you find yourself adding more Low end or Treble if playing on E.Q
3. Two Band or Three Band + E.Q?

3. Do you want a mixture of classic or new sounding? I.e Stingray style? or something for fun? 

On 02/04/2023 at 20:09, Boodang said:

I'd start with the preamp. A pickup rewind might get you there but it's a bit drastic as a first choice. Trying out onboard preamps is not easy, it's not like a pedal where you can go to a shop,but I would recommend Audere preamps. Even if you end up rewinding the pickups you wouldn't regret getting a top quality onboard preamp in your bass whichever one you go for, and you might find that alone fixes things for you.

Any idea how anyone in UK can buy an Audere preamp? Their website makes it clear they won’t post outside the US, and I can’t find any UK dealers/retailers.

Thanks