Why become a member? ×

Dreaded string buzz-re-fret or fret dress?

bassjim

Hi all

haven't been here for a while 

My fav Jazz bass is buzzing and clanging about especially if new strings are on it

Have any of you out there had a Fret re-dress or even a Re-fret?

I'm interested to know how you got on with either option

I'm a bit worried about it but it has to be done. I've been gigging, general banging around on the same bass week in week out pretty much for the last 13 years so I guess this was going to happen eventually

Yep. makes no difference. Higher action with buzz or lower action with buzz. mostly on the E around frets 5-7. raised the action a  bit too but its still there. rattles a bit in places. 

Got someone looking at it tomorrow for me who will be able to sort it out  but I'm interested in anyone else thats been through this torment of their fav bass getting sick and the outcomes following treatment

I'm just a worried parent really

How are the frets, wear wise - any big dips? 

Get the fret rocker on it - are there a few high frets - a local level may be all that's needed.

If there is meat left on the frets a level, crown, polish is not a big job (takes me an hour and a half, with two mugs of tea)...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A visit to your favourite bass tech might be in order, no..? Once every 13 years doesn't seem so bad, and he/she will know exactly what needs doing, if anything. Fret dressing and re-fretting are just standard maintenance tasks, for every fretted instrument that's been played a lot, and is entirely normal, just like changing tyres on a car. Hope this helps. :friends:

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi @bassjim- how did you get on with this problem?
As has been suggested, try a fret rocker tool first.

Also, it may just be that you have a fret that is high because it has become loose. Sometimes, these only become apparent when the strings are under normal tension. A luthier would be able to correct this. They sometimes need just gently tapping back into level - but sometimes a thin, fine glue is needed to hold them in place.

I once had a bass with high, loose frets. I couldn't work out what was going on, but a luthier sorted it quickly for me.
Let us know how you get on. Best of luck

On 04/04/2023 at 15:01, Marc S said:

Hi @bassjim- how did you get on with this problem?
As has been suggested, try a fret rocker tool first.

Also, it may just be that you have a fret that is high because it has become loose. Sometimes, these only become apparent when the strings are under normal tension. A luthier would be able to correct this. They sometimes need just gently tapping back into level - but sometimes a thin, fine glue is needed to hold them in place.

I once had a bass with high, loose frets. I couldn't work out what was going on, but a luthier sorted it quickly for me.
Let us know how you get on. Best of luck

So after a visit to Bernie Goodfellow for assessment..it needs a re-fret. Its beyond a fret dress plus the nut has worn down so new one needs to go in there too. Bernie did an amazing quick fix to the nut to get me by but as soon as he can do it , its going back to him for the work.  Still looking for a 4 string Jazz to use as a  back up/ replacement but thats another story

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

forgive my ignorance in these matters, but aren't worn frets obvious when the end of finger nail is dragged across them?

New stings always buzz more, I use DR neon's and after a few hours there's very noticeable wear at the place where they hit the frets

Edited by PaulWarning