Why become a member? ×

Orba 2

ped

Same 😂 I’ll let you know. It can be used with Bluetooth MIDI to control GarageBand instruments too which is cool. And if I get annoyed with it it should be a nice shape and weight to chuck out of the window

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There's actually some good demos on YouTube showing what it can do, and it's limitations, rather than fancy demos by the manufacturer. 

I found one using the preloaded strings section and was impressed. I like the way you can slide your finger around the pad to change vibrato, intensity and the tone of the strings, the cutoff just emphasises the top end of the strings giving them a nice swell, and it transitions nicely between chords when you change pad. 

It’s super fun. It has haptics and you can really feel the bass through the device. Easy to use and craft tunes with. My son had it in the car and was playing some soft sounding synths which fade into vibrato and he started saying how it sounded like a sad song and started making up a story to go with the music. Whilst the music he created left a lot to be desired, it was great listening to him engaging with the sounds. 

• Like 4

Having real fun with this thing. The app works really well and it's pretty seamless to use. It's amazing or just playing around with on the sofa. I've recorded 5 or 6 loops which I will play bass along to at some stage, though doing synth bass on the Orba is great fun too.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I see that Donner have released a competitor to the Orba, the Medo. 

I don't know if it's different at all or just a reverse engineered Orba clone. 

Apparently $149 kickstarter price then it will $299 which seems pricey compared to the orba, especially if it doesn't do anything different. Can't find a UK price right now. 

10 hours ago, Maude said:

Apparently $149 kickstarter price then it will $299 which seems pricey compared to the orba, especially if it doesn't do anything different. Can't find a UK price right now. 

Interesting, thanks. It looks like it’s got twice as many ‘keys’ as the Orba but I’d be interested to see how it feels and sounds. The downfall of these devices can be in how it responds and how good the accompanying app is, so there’s a lot of unknowns at this point but I’ll wait and see. 

I still love my Orba, it’s just great for messing about with and my son plays it a lot. Maybe some competition will be good but Artiphon who make the Orba have shifted focus into their new ‘Chorda’ instrument

https://artiphon.com

Let’s hope they keep up development and updates for the Orba. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 06/10/2023 at 21:48, Maude said:

One extra feature that looks really useful is the built in mic for instant sampling. Can't get one in the UK at the moment but I'll be looking. I notice the Orba is now available in blue and white, and the app(s) have been updated too.

• 1 month later...