Why become a member? ×

Who is making the most interesting innovative pedals today?

lidl e

Is there anyone doing anything truly original? Anyone coming up with new circuits or is everything nowadays just variations on a theme? 

This fella in London seems to be doing some very cool stuff, but i never see him mentioned here.

https://www.raingerfx.com/

I guess all the progress is in digital pedals nowadays.

Is there anyone truly innovating in the effects game nowadays. Particularly in the analog world.

I bought this pigtronix mothership 2 pedal from @Al Krow and i couldnt be more impressed with the build. It's an engineering masterpiece but their other stuff seems pretty run of the mill. 

• Like 1

Agree with @itu especially on Iron Ether. Pladask Elektrisk and Montreal Assembly too.

In terms of evolutions and build quality, Sushibox FX do good things with tubes and the Origin Effects guys have been killing it with their BassRigs.

I’m also a bit fan of everything Josh Broughton touches. He was involved with the Southampton Utility Knife too, I believe, one of my favourite modulators.

• Like 2

cheers, lads. a couple of makers i hadn't heard of there.

i had been checking out the iron ether stuff,but nothing i don't have covered. looks killer though and gets great reviews.

i just followed you on instgarm, @admiralchew

that norwegian crowd looks pretty cool as well. must investigate. 

i 100% agree on the toneprint stuff, super forward thinking.  i have a bh250 as my practice amp and love it

how did darkglass become so prominent? they weren't particuarly filling any voids.

is it that good?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, lidl e said:

i just followed you on instgarm, @admiralchew

how did darkglass become so prominent? they weren't particuarly filling any voids.

is it that good?

That’s very kind, thanks!

I think Darkglass captured a moment and they’re a premium brand just for bassists. They strike me as being like a boutique Boss or MXR in the sense they can be found in a lot of high street stores but have a bit of mystique in comparison to the usual suspects.

They do sound good too. I’ve tried most flavours but I still have the Alpha Omicron and ADAM and the Element is invaluable. The Hyper Luminal was a surprisingly good compressor too. Amos Heller does some great demos.

Damnation Audio and Nightowl made two of my favourite overdrives too. I’m not sure if they were based on anything or were new circuits. Frost Giant just came out with their Osiris too, which is a new design.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, admiralchew said:

That’s very kind, thanks!

I think Darkglass captured a moment and they’re a premium brand just for bassists. They strike me as being like a boutique Boss or MXR in the sense they can be found in a lot of high street stores but have a bit of mystique in comparison to the usual suspects.

They do sound good too. I’ve tried most flavours but I still have the Alpha Omicron and ADAM and the Element is invaluable. The Hyper Luminal was a surprisingly good compressor too. Amos Heller does some great demos.

Damnation Audio and Nightowl made two of my favourite overdrives too. I’m not sure if they were based on anything or were new circuits. Frost Giant just came out with their Osiris too, which is a new design.

That makes sense. Same way warwick took hold in the 90s.

I noticed moose electronics is following you. Have you tried any of his stuff? He built me a custom dual channel distortion recently and it is pretty much the greatest pedal ever. I csnt say enough good things about it.

Also, checking out your page, i highly recommend the lusithand alma compressor. That guy is doing really cool stuff with preamps but this compressor is the business. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, lidl e said:

That makes sense. Same way warwick took hold in the 90s.

I noticed moose electronics is following you. Have you tried any of his stuff? He built me a custom dual channel distortion recently and it is pretty much the greatest pedal ever. I csnt say enough good things about it.

Also, checking out your page, i highly recommend the lusithand alma compressor. That guy is doing really cool stuff with preamps but this compressor is the business. 

Oh yes! I think I may even have commented on your dual-channel Moose! That looked amazing! Have you got any demos you’d be willing to share? Why did you go for what you went for and are there other pedals/brands you’d recommend?

I’ve only tried the Nomad octave fuzz but I really like it and I’ve been considering trying the Sledge Hammer or something similar. The Sledge Hammer appeals as some of the early architecture seems to have been based off a collaboration with Nick from Dunwich. I like Nick’s circuits, and bought Nightowl, Doesitdoom and Magic Pedals pedals because of his involvement in the design. The Nomad is earmarked as my next IG post. 

You’re the second person this week to recommend the Lusithand Alma to me and I’ve only seen positive things. The Wetter Bass Channel did a feature on it, I think. His reviews are great, as are Hondo Felder’s.

Other companies I’ve got pedals from recently that are a bit more off the beaten track but worth checking out are Kink, NRG, Mask Audio and EAE (popular on here I think).

Good comment on Warwick. I still love them though!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, admiralchew said:

You’re the second person this week to recommend the Lusithand Alma to me and I’ve only seen positive things

And I’m the 3rd @admiralchew 😁 

diamond BCP 2.0 for me fellas. Huge running at 18v (36v internal). 

If you’re interested, speak to Nuno, he’s running an offer and could let go of the units with my casing (being replaced on colour/print) for a bit cheaper yet - but I didn’t say this 😉 

BD0306BA-75ED-4208-BD23-8F25F444BBDB.thumb.jpeg.0499bcd70055f7a67490fa19943486a9.jpeg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, admiralchew said:

Oh yes! I think I may even have commented on your dual-channel Moose! That looked amazing! Have you got any demos you’d be willing to share? Why did you go for what you went for and are there other pedals/brands you’d recommend?

I’ve only tried the Nomad octave fuzz but I really like it and I’ve been considering trying the Sledge Hammer or something similar. The Sledge Hammer appeals as some of the early architecture seems to have been based off a collaboration with Nick from Dunwich. I like Nick’s circuits, and bought Nightowl, Doesitdoom and Magic Pedals pedals because of his involvement in the design. The Nomad is earmarked as my next IG post. 

You’re the second person this week to recommend the Lusithand Alma to me and I’ve only seen positive things. The Wetter Bass Channel did a feature on it, I think. His reviews are great, as are Hondo Felder’s.

Other companies I’ve got pedals from recently that are a bit more off the beaten track but worth checking out are Kink, NRG, Mask Audio and EAE (popular on here I think).

Good comment on Warwick. I still love them though!

I will have something to share soon. 

I recently went ahead and bought a little focusrite setup to record, but i am still getting my head around it. ALso, when i am on my own and try to record myself, i freeze up. I really need someone else to be pushing the buttons so i can loosen up and just play!

I tried to record on a phone in rehearsal studio the other day, but it sounds shite on the video. 

I'm supposed to go to studio in the next few weeks and i already told my guy give me a ten minute beat and i want to record my pedalboard for fun/demo.  I will definitely share it if it isn't too embarrassing!

I recently tracked a couple of tunes using the alma and they sound great. I also did a track that is end to end sledgehammer. Not sure when i'll be able to share it, but it sounds killer. 

Totally looking forward to your Nomad post! a sick pedal and i almost went for the sledgehammer/nomad combo instead of the sledghammer/sundrive combo that i got. 

SO as far as recommendations, i can really only share my research on what i've been looking at and what i have bought. I've always been big into effects, even way back in the late 90s when i was a serious player living in the states. I had gotten out of playing for many years after moving from London back to DUblin and having kids (both kids were born in London!)

I've always played a bit and now getting back into it a bit more seriously my GAS had kicked in. 

I don't know if you've seen my board, but there is a definite "thing" i was going for. I have a late 90s SWR Mo BAss, that to me is the greatest amp head of all time. All analog effects chain built into a massive power amp. I love it, but it is too heavy and cumbersome to bring around so i decided to recreate the effects chain on an analog pedalboard. So my current board is basically a recreation of the Mo Bass chain. 

I also added the FI because i was getting nervous bringing my Deep Impact around. If i could only have one peal, it ouwld be my moose, but 2 it would be the FI. 

I'm doing well. As opposed to when i bought dozens of basses way back when, i am now able to evaluate, investigate and only buy what i really want or need. 

The only thing i am after currently is a reverb pedal, i am thinking the RV-6 but that walrus your man just posted, the slo, looks promising. 

SOrry, this is a long post! I work from home...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Boodang said:

https://www.walrusaudio.com/collections/all-effect-pedals

Walrus are doing some cool stuff at the moment. The Slo pedal is bonkers.

I am in the market for a reverb pedal. Interesting.

These fellas make that octave up pedal with the tentacle? I can't remeber the name, but i've heard good things.

I almost went for their chorus pedal (the juliana?) but i got a great deal on a Ripply Fall on here and that, to me, is the best sounding chorus there is if not  a bit subtle.

Not sure whether I'd say any were hugely original, but I've loved the pedals I've tried from these less mainstream builders:

Broughton Audio - not the most exciting maybe, but found that the HPF + LPF pedal so useful.

Sushi Box FX - really nice compact tube pedals. I've got the More pedal, which is a really nice clean boost, which just makes everything that goes through it sound better.

Jad Freer Audio - I've only tried their Capo preamp, but that was fantastic - solidly built with so many different sounds (demo)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, itu said:

Check Iron Ether Nimbus. You can select the frequencies you want to reverberate. Very useful, very bass specific adjustments.

I think that’s a great shout but they are extremely rare. I’ve been on the lookout for one for about a year and a half and have only seen about three in the wild.

Edited by admiralchew
  • Like 1

Contact Taylor. It is far easier to get one from him than try to find one elsewhere.

Yes, I had to pay some extra because of VAT and customs etc. but the pedal is in active use. Duffy's Mercy bass sound is so easy to reproduce.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, itu said:

Contact Taylor. It is far easier to get one from him than try to find one elsewhere.

Yes, I had to pay some extra because of VAT and customs etc. but the pedal is in active use. Duffy's Mercy bass sound is so easy to reproduce.

Thanks for the tip! I’ll give it a try.

I’ve enjoyed using the OBNE Procession for reverb duties. It’s not that flexible compared to, say, an Empress or Strymon, but it’s great at what it does.

This thread is not one for avoiding GAS. Thanks guys!

13 hours ago, lidl e said:

I am in the market for a reverb pedal. Interesting.

These fellas make that octave up pedal with the tentacle? I can't remeber the name, but i've heard good things.

I almost went for their chorus pedal (the juliana?) but i got a great deal on a Ripply Fall on here and that, to me, is the best sounding chorus there is if not  a bit subtle.

If it's reverb you're primarily after then the Slo pedal is probably not the best choice, but if it's bonkers reverb then it'll hit the spot and some. The Slo is a modulated reverb and i would say it's not on the subtle side. Took me a little while to find the sweet spot for me, but now it's got a permanent spot on the board.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Boodang said:

If it's reverb you're primarily after then the Slo pedal is probably not the best choice, but if it's bonkers reverb then it'll hit the spot and some. The Slo is a modulated reverb and i would say it's not on the subtle side. Took me a little while to find the sweet spot for me, but now it's got a permanent spot on the board.

i don't mind bonkers at all. in fact, i'd say i prefer it!

that said, it's probably not what i need right now.

my latest stupid idea is trying to build one of these with zero experience.

looking into it, i think i could do it, although it's 50/50 whether i fry the chip

https://www.musikding.de/Spatialist-Reverb-kit

My picks would be…

Red Panda - Everything they make is next level.

Mantic Effects - The Flex is is crazy and they’ve been pushing the limits of stuff for years.

WMD - Will’s designs are incredible. I think the Geiger Counter is one of the greatest pedals ever made and the Super FatMan is so insane that I blew three PA speakers in a nightclub with it once. That’s prob not a good thing, but it certainly was memorable!

Dr Scientist - Awesome designs, great features and stunning service/comms. The Frazz Dazzler is an insane dirt pedal and the Dusk has so crazy tricks.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, pantherairsoft said:

My picks would be…

Red Panda - Everything they make is next level.

Mantic Effects - The Flex is is crazy and they’ve been pushing the limits of stuff for years.

WMD - Will’s designs are incredible. I think the Geiger Counter is one of the greatest pedals ever made and the Super FatMan is so insane that I blew three PA speakers in a nightclub with it once. That’s prob not a good thing, but it certainly was memorable!

Dr Scientist - Awesome designs, great features and stunning service/comms. The Frazz Dazzler is an insane dirt pedal and the Dusk has so crazy tricks.

yeah, i was checking out that flex the other day. too cool.

red panda has the best demo videos.

need to check out wmd

• Like 1

i was just listening to the mantix flex demo and my wife here on the couch next to me said "can you please turn that noise off"!

i had to explain how it sounded like noise but wasn't really noise.

she didn't get it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1