Why become a member? ×

DR Black Beauties crackling sound

dmccombe7

I have DR Beauties on my Sandberg VM4 and MarloweDK and love them. Decided to fit on my P bass but i get crackling especially noticeable with tone full up. Its like an earth crackle and if i rest my hand on the bridge it stops.

I'm a fingerstyle player so that's a problem for me.

The bass is properly earthed. I'm sure i had same problem when i tried Elixirs on my Jazz bass and just went back to standard strings.

Was wondering if going wireless would stop it getting to the amp ?

Has anyone else experienced this problem with coated strings. ?

Any thoughts on how to get around this problem.

Dave

I think sometimes it’s down to luck, just how the string happens to contact the bridge etc. I use Elixirs and they sometimes crackle for the first few hours a tiny bit but then it goes. I think the coating is so than that once they’ve settled in they develop a better earth with the bridge. I’ve just strung my Squier Mustang with them and it was crackly for a little bit too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Supernaut said:

BBs and other coated DRs give me major friction burn when I do slides on them. Like the strings but cannot stand that burn. 

Yep i have felt that too and now try to avoid over sliding. I have noted its only when my hands sweat during a gig. Doesn't happen at home or sound check or even the first few songs. 

If they last longer than standard strings it will be worthwhile for me.

Dave

Just now, Rich said:

I bought a set of BBs and the G was dead straight out of the pack. I mean deader than Julius Caesar. Far too dead to crackle.

I've heard that about other strings too so i guess its just bad luck. I've been buying mine thru Amazon so not sure what i'd do if that happened to one of the strings ?

Dave

14 hours ago, ped said:

I think sometimes it’s down to luck, just how the string happens to contact the bridge etc. I use Elixirs and they sometimes crackle for the first few hours a tiny bit but then it goes. I think the coating is so than that once they’ve settled in they develop a better earth with the bridge. I’ve just strung my Squier Mustang with them and it was crackly for a little bit too. 

Really useful but of knowledge. Thanks Ped.

• Like 1