Why become a member? ×

Why doesnt anyone make a small tube combo or head for bass?

lidl e

1 hour ago, BassmanPaul said:

I looked at the Handbox tube amp and was amused to see it specified 6L6 tubes. The 6L6 is a metal tube and in such an amp would melt in an instant. The correct tube is a 6L6GC, the letters are important. 

Why do you want a 50W amp for anyway. A 100W amp can be turned down quite simply to the required volume.

Strictly for playing on my own and practising. I just love the sound and responsiveness. I play in a band and with a bunch of people and i wouldnt want to lug a tube amp around, but in my attic it would be prefect.

Just remember that it's not a complete kit. You'll have to find a suitably sized metal chassis that you'll have to have punched holes for tube sockets, controls and other through chassis mounted components. A face plate and control knobs are needed too. All in all not a suitable project for a neophyte to tube amp construction.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, BassmanPaul said:

Just remember that it's not a complete kit. You'll have to find a suitably sized metal chassis that you'll have to have punched holes for tube sockets, controls and other through chassis mounted components. A face plate and control knobs are needed too. All in all not a suitable project for a neophyte to tube amp construction.

Yeah, i saw that. He sells the chassis separately,  i believe. Knobs onviously not an issue.

The guy i asked about is a great effects builder, so he would certainly be able to put it together. It just depends on how much he charges.

1 minute ago, Pea Turgh said:

I see Ashdown have mentioned the possibility of building some small tube amps from their UK custom shop.  Love the surf green option.  And the gold.  And the cream.

Where'd you see that? Custom shop equals £€£€ though.

2 minutes ago, Pea Turgh said:

Mark Gooday posted it on instagram.  Probably right re cost though.  Might be worth asking anyway.

Wow. Just checking out their Instagram,  they have some killer stuff you dont ever see.

Are the basses they make all imports? 

That green one looks killer 

Just now, Pea Turgh said:

No idea, but I like the short scale offset.  Noice.  Might be talking about the same one!

It looks like they call it "the saint" which must be a reference to the reverend body shape they copied. 

If they made a bass version of this, that would be perfect.  

https://ashdownmusic.com/products/ctm-30

35 minutes ago, lidl e said:

It looks like they call it "the saint" which must be a reference to the reverend body shape they copied. 

If they made a bass version of this, that would be perfect.  

https://ashdownmusic.com/products/ctm-30

Pretty sure that link is a bass amp!

Here’s another…

https://ashdownmusic.com/products/b-stock-ctm-30-little-stubby

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Pea Turgh said:

Pretty sure that link is a bass amp!

Here’s another…

https://ashdownmusic.com/products/b-stock-ctm-30-little-stubby

is that a bass amp? interesting... i will have to investigate.

yeah, i've seen the stubby. i don't love the eq for what i'm looking for, but if a used one popped up here, i'd probably grab it.

so that ctm-30 is the stubby in a bigger chassis. must investigate.

Edited by lidl e
  • Like 1

On 25/02/2023 at 23:00, BassmanPaul said:

The Ampeg B15 series of amps were so much better

Hi Paul, I really like the look of those , in your experience what are they like for the deeper end of bass, lots of the videos I’ve seen only show them sounding fairly bright 

23 hours ago, lidl e said:

is that a bass amp? interesting... i will have to investigate.

yeah, i've seen the stubby. i don't love the eq for what i'm looking for, but if a used one popped up here, i'd probably grab it.

so that ctm-30 is the stubby in a bigger chassis. must investigate.

Yeah it’s an updated version of the LB-30, CTM-30 with the same valves arranged horizontally, a few extra features in there also. Sweet bass amp 

• Like 1

Just now, Quilly said:

Yeah it’s an updated version of the LB-30, CTM-30 with the same valves arranged horizontally, a few extra features in there also. Sweet bass amp 

Same preamp section?