Why become a member? ×

Mesa Boogie Basis M-2000 - is it any good? what is it worth?

greentext

Long shot, but does anyone have any experience with the Mesa Boogie Basis M-2000? I don’t see these come up often as they are from the 90's early 2000's but I have the opportunity to get one. 

Also can I get a price check on what these may or may not be worth there isn't a lot from my search I can find as this is a pretty rare amp in this day and age? 

Love to hear good, bad, the works 

boogie.thumb.webp.7715acf43f75c8bffafc454ec90b7315.webp

Saw one for sale for £1500 recently but I think that is a bit steep. However they are pretty rare. However I think there is more demand for stuff like the all valve 400+ amps. 

I am a big Mesa fan but there are far too many knobs on it for me. However I think that they were the flagship bass amps for Mesa at the time. If you can handle all of the features then it would be a great buy.

20 minutes ago, thodrik said:

Saw one for sale for £1500 recently but I think that is a bit steep. However they are pretty rare. However I think there is more demand for stuff like the all valve 400+ amps. 

It is a really tough one as I also think it is steep but its also like find another one. I actually already have the 400+ which only cost me £600 a few years back so it seems really steep anything over £1000 for a M-2000.

10 hours ago, thodrik said:

Saw one for sale for £1500 recently

If that was from a certain recording studio in Essex then it's not a true indication of it's value - everything they list is hugely overpriced and they have a few Mesa amps advertised. As an example they have a Mesa Big Block 750 up for £1500 - the realistic market value of those is somewhere around £500/600 I think.

I would probably put the M2000 in the same ballpark. The MPulse that pop up occasionally (BB750, M600 and M360) seem to be around that pricepoint recently except the Titan which usually commands a little more if you ever find one. I have experience of the BB750 and MPulse 600 and love them to bits - probably my favourite amps ever. These were the next generation after the M2000 and were simplified a little as people said the M2000 was a bit over complicated to use. (Make sure it has the footswitch included)

Edited by Mudpup

I was tempted to buy one of those about 6-7 years back and it was £500.  Played nice but the noise threshold just irritated me, it'd have been unnoticeable at gig volume I'd expect.  I can't see how they will have tripled in value especially when one of the big UK stores had a sell out of newer/better Mesa gear a couple of years back!

25 minutes ago, Mudpup said:

If that was from a certain recording studio in Essex then it's not a true indication of it's value - everything they list is hugely overpriced and they have a few Mesa amps advertised. As an example they have a Mesa Big Block 750 up for £1500 - the realistic market value of those is somewhere around £500/600 I think.

I would probably put the M2000 in the same ballpark. The MPulse that pop up occasionally (BB750, M600 and M360) seem to be around that pricepoint recently except the Titan which usually commands a little more if you ever find one. I have experience of the BB750 and MPulse 600 and love them to bits - probably my favourite amps ever. These were the next generation after the M2000 and were simplified a little as people said the M2000 was a bit over complicated to use. (Make sure it has the footswitch included)

Yepp, I paid £600 for an M6 in 2016 (which I sold for a bit less) and £750 for a Big Block with footswitch and matching headcase in about 2019. I think anything in the £600-£800 region is fair for the M-Pulse or Carbine range depending on condition. Personally I wouldn’t pay more than that as I would probably buy a new WD800 or TT800 instead (when it is possible to do so in the UK). I would probably wouldn’t pay much more than £600 for an M-2000 but that is just my preference for amps with fewer controls.

29 minutes ago, Mudpup said:

Yh that seems to be the only example I can find online as they dont come up often. Thanks for the heads up, will have to wait for one with more reasonable price tag mentioned. 

4 minutes ago, thodrik said:

Yepp, I paid £600 for an M6 in 2016 (which I sold for a bit less) and £750 for a Big Block with footswitch and matching headcase in about 2019. I think anything in the £600-£800 region is fair for the M-Pulse or Carbine range depending on condition. Personally I wouldn’t pay more than that as I would probably buy a new WD800 or TT800 instead (when it is possible to do so in the UK). I would probably wouldn’t pay much more than £600 for an M-2000 but that is just my preference for amps with fewer controls.

Yh I paid £750 for a 400+ last year so im assuming the M-2000 wouldnt come close to that. Thanks for the info, very helpful

8 hours ago, thodrik said:

+1

My thoughts exactly... 

And as you've already got the 400+ Elliott, I just can't imagine a situation where you'd ever be thinking that the M-2000 is a better sounding amp than the 400+. 

12 minutes ago, silverfoxnik said:

And as you've already got the 400+ Elliott, I just can't imagine a situation where you'd ever be thinking that the M-2000 is a better sounding amp than the 400+

its true, i dont see it being much better then the 400+ myself, but ive seen so many pictures of Les Claypools touring rig from the mid 90's using the 400+ and the M-2000 in conjunction so i've always wanted to try that set up for myself just to achieve the Pork Soda, Tales from the Punchbowl era Primus tones. Just for my own selfish exploration it would be a lot of fun haha

11 minutes ago, greentext said:

its true, i dont see it being much better then the 400+ myself, but ive seen so many pictures of Les Claypools touring rig from the mid 90's using the 400+ and the M-2000 in conjunction so i've always wanted to try that set up for myself just to achieve the Pork Soda, Tales from the Punchbowl era Primus tones. Just for my own selfish exploration it would be a lot of fun haha

Ah that makes sense now ... 👍

Will you be getting some of those Les Claypool hats as well? 😉😁

On 23/02/2023 at 09:48, greentext said:

Recent tours with Primus had Les playing a Subway D-800 rig w/ Subway 112 cabinets, slaved for 1600 watts rms into 4 x 112's. 

I don't know what rig he is using for the new FFFB tour that's going out this spring. 

image.png.a4f7b96619f4a9b463d1eb318e650db6.png

• Like 2

4 hours ago, agedhorse said:
On 23/02/2023 at 17:48, greentext said:

Recent tours with Primus had Les playing a Subway D-800 rig w/ Subway 112 cabinets, slaved for 1600 watts rms into 4 x 112's. 

I don't know what rig he is using for the new FFFB tour that's going out this spring. 

ooooooo that is nice, Les has always been a Mesa user by the looks of it. Never tried a Subway amp but I bet they are awesome 

11 hours ago, greentext said:

ooooooo that is nice, Les has always been a Mesa user by the looks of it. Never tried a Subway amp but I bet they are awesome 

I had a Subway D800. Used it for about 4 gigs and moved it on......

Really wanted to like it as I had always wanted a Mesa of some sort but I couldn't get a sound that i liked out of it unfortunately. I found it woolly and too dark for my taste - almost like it had a blanket over it and it really struggled when you cranked it up. Nothing at all like the MPulse amps which I love. They have so much oomph about them and you can get a lovely glassy sparkle and depth out of them which I just couldn't find in the D800.

Edited by Mudpup

5 hours ago, Mudpup said:

Really wanted to like it as I had always wanted a Mesa of some sort but I couldn't get a sound that i liked out of it unfortunately. I found it woolly and too dark for my taste - almost like it had a blanket over it and it really struggled when you cranked it up. Nothing at all like the MPulse amps which I love. They have so much oomph about them and you can get a lovely glassy sparkle and depth out of them which I just couldn't find in the D800.

dammm thats a real shame, I'll have to try one if the opportunity ever comes up, but i'm in no rush, got a GK MB800 and that is doing me fine for the smaller gigs 

2 hours ago, greentext said:

dammm thats a real shame, I'll have to try one if the opportunity ever comes up, but i'm in no rush, got a GK MB800 and that is doing me fine for the smaller gigs 

Well, if you're in Essex, we're playing in Southend on Friday and Braintree on Saturday. I'll be using my BB750......

• 1 month later...