Why become a member? ×

Bass playing stage 1 complete ......

Golchen

Er, yeah, well I've been playing seriously (relative term) for quite a long time now, and I feel reasonably OK with following chords using root notes, octaves and 5ths. Can slap a bit, which is great fun when appropriate and use all fingers OK. So I was wondering what I should be aiming for in terms of improving. For some reason I just can't seem to get on with tabs, so I'm looking for other places to go in terms of playing around chords.

Any suggestions?

[quote name='maxrossell' post='473111' date='Apr 27 2009, 08:22 AM']I'd say work on improving your ear. Get a load of your favourite records, and using nothing but your bass and your ears figure out all the basslines. A great ear is one of the most valuable tools you can have as a musician.[/quote]

+1 oh yes!

Start with relatively easy stuff, then move to trickier and trickier....

[quote name='maxrossell' post='473111' date='Apr 27 2009, 08:22 AM']I'd say work on improving your ear. Get a load of your favourite records, and using nothing but your bass and your ears figure out all the basslines. A great ear is one of the most valuable tools you can have as a musician.[/quote]

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I really don't know how you guys work out basslines from recordings, I have a real job picking out the bass, let alone trying to play it. I really struggle with what's going on. Maybe it's because I've spent decades not really listening to bass??

[quote name='Golchen' post='473579' date='Apr 27 2009, 06:24 PM']I really don't know how you guys work out basslines from recordings, I have a real job picking out the bass, let alone trying to play it. I really struggle with what's going on. Maybe it's because I've spent decades not really listening to bass??[/quote]

I'm not sure how long you've been playing exactly but if you've been able to play songs mostly right for a good amount of years, your ears should at least be able to differentiate what's going on. It doesn't need to be exact but you should be able to make out the basic motif, and then if you practice that part your ear will get use to it in the mix and then picking out the rest of the line should come easily.

[quote name='Golchen' post='473579' date='Apr 27 2009, 06:24 PM']Thanks for the advice everyone.

I really don't know how you guys work out basslines from recordings, I have a real job picking out the bass, let alone trying to play it. I really struggle with what's going on. Maybe it's because I've spent decades not really listening to bass??[/quote]

Play a small section of it over and over again, listening intently to the bassline, and learn to sing it first, then try to play it on the bass.

Start with fairly easy stuff.

With time the small sections will become larger, the number of times you have to play it over and over again before you learn to sing it will reduce and so will the number of attempts it takes you to get it on the bass. And your accuracy will improve over time.

It's the single most effective way of developing your ear.

For more complicated tunes, you can use software to slow down and loop sections, to the point that you can even isolate individual notes.

[quote name='Golchen' post='473579' date='Apr 27 2009, 06:24 PM']Thanks for the advice everyone.

I really don't know how you guys work out basslines from recordings, I have a real job picking out the bass, let alone trying to play it. I really struggle with what's going on. Maybe it's because I've spent decades not really listening to bass??[/quote]

Hi

Everyone listens to music differently. Picking out the bass is something that can be cultivated with a bit of work.

If you listen to music through low-level computer speakers, it is often difficult to pick out the bass. If you don't have decent bass speakers, the job of isolating the bass is impeded. A decent pair of bass headphones or a sub-woofer will help!

Just have a look on fleabay.

Cheers
AM

My experience, perception and enjoyment of music can be split absolutely at the point I started playing bass.

Songs I loved before bass:-

I know the lyrics without any thought
I know the form without any thought
I dont really know the b-line/drum part ususally
I listen to in a completely different 'top down' way (ie vocal performance, harmony/rhythm guitar, drums, bass)
There's a bass line???? Oh!

After I started bass:-

I know the bass line well enough to sing from memory, from which I can usually figure out the groove from memory (albeit not always in the right key)
I know the drum part well enough to program a fairly accurate representation of the groove from memory
I know the harmony (not always)
I may know the form
What lyrics???
There's a singer? Noooooo......
When I listen its to the rhythm section interplay almost entirely.

Obviously some songs fall into both categories, but that isn't a very long list.

Its very weird!

[quote name='51m0n' post='474045' date='Apr 28 2009, 10:48 AM']My experience, perception and enjoyment of music can be split absolutely at the point I started playing bass.[/quote]

Same here!! I know exactly what you mean!!

Although I've always liked the bass, it didn't "speak" to me before, if you know what I mean, then the way I listened to music changed.

Listening/analysing music is under-rated as a learning tool.