Why become a member? ×

A quick feeler...sub-forum. UK venue search.

NancyJohnson

I've had a brief message exchange with kiwi and ped about (perhaps) setting up a sub-forum here to ease the inevitable questions when you're playing a new venue.  I'm playing a few new venues in the next two or three months; there's just no information about where to park, loading in etc.

My suggestion would be simply to have an area with subdivisions (England/Scotland/Wales/Northern Ireland/Isle of Man/Channel Islands) and within this Counties (Avon/Bedfordshire etc.) and then towns therein.  I know we're never going to be able to hit every venue in every town, but there's certainly going to be venues where several of us will have played previously.

The idea being to provide a definitive listing of venues, primary contacts, ease of load-in, local parking, venue type (club/theatre/toilet), capacity, music style etc.  In my head, it should heavily moderated...this wouldn't be a place for long discussions about your gigging experience or slagging off the venue, just the fundamentals.  It might help getting you gigs at these places too.

Any interest?

Paul

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

The idea being to provide a definitive listing of venues, primary contacts, ease of load-in, local parking, venue type (club/theatre/toilet), capacity, music style etc.  In my head, it should heavily moderated...this wouldn't be a place for long discussions about your gigging experience or slagging off the venue, just the fundamentals.  It might help getting you gigs at these places too.

I think this pretty much already exists - https://www.lemonrock.com/ 

49 minutes ago, Linus27 said:

I use Lemonrock and have found it to be pretty up to date and reliable.

However, I think a sub forum broken into counties would be a great idea when individuals could talk about venues and ask questions.

So a separate sub forum for the 48 english counties, 33 scottish counties, 11 welsh counties, 6 northern irish counties, or do we also include the 26 counties of ireland and maybe european and american ones too, as we have members from there?

12 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

So a separate sub forum for the 48 english counties, 33 scottish counties, 11 welsh counties, 6 northern irish counties, or do we also include the 26 counties of ireland and maybe european and american ones too, as we have members from there?

Feeling is that if you had my home patch (Berkshire), you're limited to 15 towns (Ascot, Bracknell, Crowthorne etc.); if everything is sorted alphabetically by town, then venue (for instance) 'The Acoustic Couch' or 'The Cellar Bar' it should be fairly simple to navigate.  There's no need to drill down into civil parishes.

If it's well modded, it could be a decent utility.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

No, very similar to a regional car forum and as NancyJohnson says above. You could keep it very simple like London, South East, South West, North East, North West, Yorkshire, West Midlands, East Midlands, Scotland (Highlands, Lowlands and Uplands) and North Wales, South Wales. You could if you wanted, expand it further and for example group Surrey and Sussex together, Hampshire and Berkshire together, Kent and Essex together and so on and so forth. It's not really rocket science.

Edited by Linus27
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Linus27 said:

No, very similar to a regional car forum and as NancyJohnson says above. You could keep it very simple like London, South East, South West, North East, North West, Yorkshire, West Midlands, East Midlands, Scotland (Highlands, Lowlands and Uplands) and North Wales, South Wales. You could if you wanted, expand it further and for example group Surrey and Sussex together, Hampshire and Berkshire together, Kent and Essex together and so on and so forth. It's not really rocket science.

London could certainly be split differently...along these lines or by postcode prefix (W/NW/N/E/SE/SW/WC/EC).  Obviously users/contributors/mods would need to apply a bit of common sense and do a cursory Google search.  There should be little need to breakdown the SE area into 30-odd different sections.

17 hours ago, Linus27 said:

I'd be totally up for a rocket science sub-forum.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2