Why become a member? ×

Jad Freer Capo

EmmettC

• 4 months later...
32 minutes ago, walshy said:

Mine arrived when I was on holiday so just opened it and first impressions after a quick noodle are very positive. Hopefully get some more time with it today.

Its an awesome little box, easily the most versatile preamp I’ve used. I like to use it in conjunction with other preamps for more noisy stuff but it’s always there, for anything cleaner or even a little added grit I’ve found it perfect by itself though. As soon as I disable it the tone becomes noticeably flatter and looses some sparkle. Would love to know how you get on!!!

Enjoy! 

• Like 1

I played my first gig with the JF Coda head the other day, first impressions are very good. Been using the Capo for almost a year now, straight into the desk and using in-ears 90% of the time, so I wanted something for the odd gig where I actually use backline that was just the Capo sound but amplified. The Coda is interesting being as it’s really just a power amp, no controls to tweak other than input and output volume. Class G instead of class D; might be placebo effect but felt like it had more of the traditional heft that I’ve always found lacking with the class D amps I’ve used. Early days but really liking it so far. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ander87 said:

Stupidly have mine on sale! Let us know more @walshy , maybe that way I withdraw mine and keep some sanity. 

After a play through the set for Fu Fighters for Saturdays gig, I can only say DO NOT SELL IT. I know how much you raved on about it, and for how long and you were correct. Even the dirt is good. Hmmm is this the extra juicy tone sauce ive been looking for? It's certainly better than the Ampeg SGT DI in my opinion. Well roll on Saturday and I will report back what its like in 'gig mode'.

35 minutes ago, mattpbass said:

I played my first gig with the JF Coda head the other day, first impressions are very good. Been using the Capo for almost a year now, straight into the desk and using in-ears 90% of the time, so I wanted something for the odd gig where I actually use backline that was just the Capo sound but amplified. The Coda is interesting being as it’s really just a power amp, no controls to tweak other than input and output volume. Class G instead of class D; might be placebo effect but felt like it had more of the traditional heft that I’ve always found lacking with the class D amps I’ve used. Early days but really liking it so far. 

Interesting re the head too. Certainly looks the part and if it has heft I imagine it will easily fight its way into the marketplace and become the answer for a lot of folk too

• Like 2

Seems like the Sisma (valve pre-amp, same power section) is the head that’s getting all the attention rather than the Coda, I couldn’t find any reviews or even other owners comments about the Coda anywhere in the world! As a stand-alone bass head the Sisma may well be the one to go for, but I don’t really see the point of pre-amps going into pre-amps, I was getting annoyed that the TH700 I had was colouring the Capo sound. 

So the Coda was a bit of a punt but on the quality of the Capo I thought a safe enough one. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, walshy said:

I know how much you raved on about it, and for how long and you were correct. Even the dirt is good.

You are once again correct - I'm withdrawing it - that pedal and a couple basses and I'm ready for gigs recording or anything tbh - and yes, cranking the distortion on the channel B can be so so good, too!

Thank y'all for some sanity 😀

Ander.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Ander87 said:

You are once again correct - I'm withdrawing it - that pedal and a couple basses and I'm ready for gigs recording or anything tbh - and yes, cranking the distortion on the channel B can be so so good, too!

Ander.

Is the right answer 😁

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The Capo is the one pedal I can imagine using in any context or genre.

Very interested in the Coda although the Handbox WB100 really is sublime. My reason for Sisma over the Coda would be redundancy for not a lot extra. Going into the Sisma fx return should be virtually the same as going into the Coda.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Ander87 said:

Ander.

A very wise choice!

• Thanks 1

I gigged mine on Saturday after a day or so messing with it at home. It's even better in a band situation. It's such a good preamp. Anyone on the fence should just push the button and get it bought!

I think, and others agreed who were watching, thats the best live sound I have had with the band. Definitely my pre of choice atm.

• Like 1

Agree with above and glad you like it Paul!

I think whilst it’s great on features, the biggest thing for me it’s how effortlessly it cuts through in a band setting and on stage. I just can hear myself like I’ve never done before. 

Edited by Ander87
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ander87 said:

Agree with above and glad you like it Paul!

I think whilst it’s great on features, the biggest thing for me it’s how effortlessly it cuts through in a band setting and on stage. I just can hear myself like I’ve never done before. 

Yeah it was just ‘there’ and filled the spaces lovely. It sounded big, clear but not overpowering. I have to say, I was shocked how much it added live. While some stuff sounds great at home playing along to YT and stuff but falls short when pushed live, this was better live, much better in fact. Thanks again @Ander87 for pushing me to buy it 👌

17 minutes ago, walshy said:

Thanks again @Ander87 for pushing me to buy it 👌

* I do not provide personal investment advice and I am not a qualified licensed investment advisor. I am an amateur investor.

* I will not and cannot be held liable for any actions you take as a result of anything you read here.

• Haha 3

• 4 weeks later...

Have been following this thread with interest as I’ve just bought one. 

A quick question from owners, am I right in saying the effects loop on the left of the unit is for additional pedals to go after the preamp and then out with the preamp DI?

If so this is going to solve the major problem I have with my Origin Effects 64 Black Panel - I like to put my Cali76 after my preamp, which then defeats its use as a usable DI signal to the desk. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, risingson said:

Have been following this thread with interest as I’ve just bought one. 

A quick question from owners, am I right in saying the effects loop on the left of the unit is for additional pedals to go after the preamp and then out with the preamp DI?

If so this is going to solve the major problem I have with my Origin Effects 64 Black Panel - I like to put my Cali76 after my preamp, which then defeats its use as a usable DI signal to the desk. 

That’s correct! It’ll also be included before the 1/4 jack output too.

There is a switch on the side to bind the fx loop so that it’s only applied when the A side is active. I’ve accidentally enabled that a few times then been left scratching my head for longer than I’d care to admit! 😂

• Like 1