Why become a member? ×

Jad Freer Capo

EmmettC

47 minutes ago, Ander87 said:

Aaaand to make things more interesting, they’re gonna deliver it to my Spain address since I’ll be there from next weekend for a week - saves me all customs taxes etc, win win!!!

That's a result!

Careful now, some of the lads will accuse you of being an international smuggler!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, mattpbass said:

We should all have had them delivered to that address, I’ve got a spare suitcase you could have borrowed

hahaha long as you’re paying the suitcase allowances, getting ridiculous these days aye!

Friday it’ll be there, may sneak in my power supply to give it a play since I have a bass there I could plug it into 😁 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Hey gang... pretty much cross posting from the 'show us your pedalboard' thread with apologies but maybe the audience here could help me...

I am one day far from getting my cherished Capo, and I have a couple questions regarding pre/post loops and the order of the OFF1 fuzz etc [...]

[...] I'd like to cable things in a way that the Pre DI is clean, and the Post DI is all processed with the rest of the pedals... My options:

a) Tuner > ditto (both always off except if I'm dialing tones or tuning) > Compressor > input of the Capo, with the OFF1 + Broadcast (used to thicken up a bit, not distort) on the Pre loop, or

b) Tuner > Ditto > input of the capo, with OFF1 Fuzz + Broadcast + Compressor on the pre loop (would that make any sense??)

c) Forget about having a clean DI out and doing tuner > ditto > OFF1 fuzz into the input, Broadcast on the pre loop

d) forget about the pre loop and clean DI and do tuner > ditto > OFF1 Fuzz, compressor > broadcast into the input

In all cases the post loop would go with delays and chorus... thoughts?

This is how things are looking like now... Would love to lock it in with the Capo's pre/post DI's to not have to play around with the cabling regardless of me being in the studio or just gigging etc... Killer pedalboard if you ask me!

image.thumb.png.38f528d0a867b0ae5b9b985b9853125b.png

Edited by Ander87

It depends what you want to send in the pre DI.

I have tuner > Thumpinator > Compressor into the Capo input.

This gets sent in the pre DI which is rarely used as a clean signal. For recording Id pop the compressor in the pre loop though. 

In the pre loop I have the OFF1 > Longsword > Model FeT (for now)

Then it hits the Capo preamps. 

In the post i have the ditto for writing so i can do a loop and mess around over it with guitar etc.

Then the main DI out.

This works for general use, tbh the only reason my comp is in the input instead of pre loop is because it was slightly more convenient for cabling and I didn't care much 😂

In real terms though the pre DI never actually gets used outside me recording ideas at home. I've never found a use case for it at a gig though although naturally never hurts.

5 hours ago, MrDinsdale said:

In the pre loop I have the OFF1 > Longsword > Model FeT

Hmmm! Have you tried it in band setting? Does the OFF1 do okay or does it suck out the tone? Saying this as fuzzed normally should for ‘firstest’ in the signal chain haha

my idea is pretty much same as hours, sending best clean signal in the input, pre for gains and post for effects. 

All i have in front of the OFF1 is the compressor and a HPF so it's the most firstest in the chain it can be.

TBF i do like having compression at the end of the chain too, gives a little more control of dynamics with very touch sensitive drives. I find, especially live, it's better up front for a slightly more consistent tone.

Haven't tried in a band setting yet but don't see it being much of an issue tbh, not wildly different from the Longsword with boost and that cuts through great.

Best advice I have is to get all your pedals off the board and experiment with different combinations, ideally record some samples with each so you can directly compare. Once you're happy then get them back on the board and wired up. The decision to put the OFF1 up front is less about the fuzz and more about the octave, i find tracking is sketchy at time with bright strings never mind any other effects.

3 hours ago, MrDinsdale said:

All i have in front of the OFF1 is the compressor and a HPF so it's the most firstest in the chain it can be.

Ahar! I was considering whether I needed to put it even before the compressor...! I took it before comp this practise and it went phenomenal but also sounds all out even if I roll the volume down lol

In the end as you suggest it'll be best to try myself with all of them out of the board Joe, I'm just lazy about it.

9 hours ago, MrDinsdale said:

In the pre loop I have the OFF1 > Longsword > Model FeT (for now)

If this doesn't suck out tone etc, it works, and it's similar as my option A of having OFF1 and Broadcast on the pre loop, compressor on the main input.

Will give it all a shot, thanks!

Ander.

• Like 1

Just now, MrDinsdale said:

How are you finding the Capo @Ander87?

Ah I’m loving it! I’ve only played it for like an hour tops, but it seems very easy to dial in, whatever you do with it it sound great!

Definitely an always on pedal, I have to play around more with the EQ to squeeze the side B etc 

• Like 1

Right, first gig with the Capo coming up tonight… excited to try this out as I haven’t had a chance to even plug it in with the band yet!

set up for grit on A side, full distortion as I can on B side, gain almost maxed out but loving it (B>A)

For everything else, face melting fuzz courtesy of the OFF1

Edited by Ander87
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Ander87 said:

Right, first gig with the Capo coming up tonight… excited to try this out as I haven’t had a chance to even plug it in with the band yet!

set up for grit on A side, full distortion as I can on B side, gain almost maxed out but loving it (B>A)

For everything else, face melting fuzz courtesy of the OFF1

Enjoy!!! Sound man just congratulated me on my bass tone, thanks a bit to the  Capo and a bit the my new Hand Box head. It's gonna be a pretty gnarly gig 😂

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ander87 said:

oh nice! Giving up on the Marshall or getting your own head eh? 

Time to start working on convincing you to get a Barefaced cab Joe 🙃

We i was originally gonna get a backup head, a gss baby sumo then one thing led to another and ended up with the Hand Box. It's 25kg lighter than the Marshall which is a huge difference and it's incredibly hefty.

The Capo > Model FeT > Hand Box WB-100 setup sounded awesome though.

I was playing through a Barefaced cab last night, 15". I loved my old bf two10 and supertwin i used to borrow occasionally. Awesome cabs. The four10/six10 is on my purchase list although its gonna have to wait a while after recent purchases!

Just on the Capo LPF, i was always a little concerned that it was applied to the line out as well as the DI signal.

There was loads of presence and top end though, everything just sounded great. Even had someone mention how it had the perfect treble to cut through and give some clank.

Ahar! Yep I've had the Six10 and love it - I just switched to the Big Twin cause black grill and my Mesa head work better lol. TBH I do think the 12" suits me better for a modern style and more transparent/less colour sound helps me as I have the Broadcast and Capo, but I'd gig the Six10 any day. 

Back from last night's concert and it's been my most even, best sounding tone - cutting through clearly without overwhelming the rest of instruments, B>A with gain at 3 o'clock brought the right distortion although knowing myself next time I'll try maxing it out. I used to have more gain on my Darkglass stuff (my reference point) and other pedals I've had but it would cut through less to be honest!

I've placed mini stickers on the settings of my pedals now as the safe spots or preferred tones but I'll still try more fine tuning

Loving this Capo!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrDinsdale said:

There was loads of presence and top end though, everything just sounded great. Even had someone mention how it had the perfect treble to cut through and give some clank.

Ditto! the fuzz sounded great through the monitors/FOH too and think the LPF had something to do with it.

Funny enough the Mesa WD800 doesn't add a lot of colouring, just a bit more compression and presence (likely due to the passive mids control as I keep all else pretty flat) so I plug the pedalboard on the input (not the return of the effect loop on the head) as it's easier to adjust volumes and dial in EQ from there if need be.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Ander87 said:

Ditto! the fuzz sounded great through the monitors/FOH too and think the LPF had something to do with it.

Funny enough the Mesa WD800 doesn't add a lot of colouring, just a bit more compression and presence (likely due to the passive mids control as I keep all else pretty flat) so I plug the pedalboard on the input (not the return of the effect loop on the head) as it's easier to adjust volumes and dial in EQ from there if need be.

Aye, I'm using the input of the Hand Box over the return just out of simplicity more than anything.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ander87 said:

Ahar! Yep I've had the Six10 and love it - I just switched to the Big Twin cause black grill and my Mesa head work better lol. TBH I do think the 12" suits me better for a modern style and more transparent/less colour sound helps me as I have the Broadcast and Capo, but I'd gig the Six10 any day. 

Back from last night's concert and it's been my most even, best sounding tone - cutting through clearly without overwhelming the rest of instruments, B>A with gain at 3 o'clock brought the right distortion although knowing myself next time I'll try maxing it out. I used to have more gain on my Darkglass stuff (my reference point) and other pedals I've had but it would cut through less to be honest!

I've placed mini stickers on the settings of my pedals now as the safe spots or preferred tones but I'll still try more fine tuning

Loving this Capo!

Yeah definitely leaning towards the 10" cabs. Its a hard one to justify at the mo though as the guitarist has a 6x10 and 8x10 Ampeg available and a van 😂

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just took my board to a gig in Leicester without any other backline other than an old trace Elliot 1x15/12? house combo.

I sent my post DI to the FOH, the output to the Effects Loop return of the Capo... Love the presence of this thing especially when combined with the Broadcast, extends the distortion range on B>A (my preferred setup to high gain) whilst keeping it thick and at point of breakup on side A.

Very happy - I designed my board to have enough redundancy to not need to bring my Mesa WD800/BT2 for short/less relevant gigs. Worked an absolute treat!

Edited by Ander87
  • Like 3

Aye! It felt like a gamble ordering it given the price tag and how many alternatives are out there but paid off massively.

It adds a lot of life to the sound, even with the B side at lower gain. Sounds absolutely incredible going into an all valve head but equally nice to know you can go direct to FOH and it'll cut through fine. 

• Like 1