Why become a member? ×

Jad Freer Capo

EmmettC

I was just on the way out the door to collect the kids from school when UPS arrived with my new Jad Freer Capo.

I won't get a chance to try it until later, but it looks great. It's definitely a solid piece of gear. 

I'll update with some clips and opinions once I've had a chance to get my head around it.

Including customs it comes in around £500, so it's not cheap, but not too expensive for a hand made bit of gear.

20230208_144041.jpg

20230208_144047.jpg

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, MrDinsdale said:

Snap! I also didn't get time to play with mine but build quality is awesome.

My pedalboard is dismantled ready to try all the different signal chain combinations with the pre/post send. Gonna do the sensible thing and work that out before I commit to Velcro and cable ties for once.

Aww nice.

I was happy with my signal chain, but I have an angled pedal board in a flight case, and the Capo is tall, so I'll need a rethink to fit it in. Slightly annoying because putting it lower down will restrict access to the xlr outs.

I still haven't tried it, the kids are asleep and I'm struggling with Mendeley reference manager and word, they are not playing well after an update.....

Had a play with some different levels of drive and grit with the LPF on/off:

Only had about 5-10 mins fiddling but really love the sounds on this thing, it does super warm vintage cleans all the way to glassy distortion. I find lots of products claim that level of versatility but I think this actually gives it.

In the sample it goes from bypassed, A side, B > A side, Longsword + B > A side and finally Longsword boosted + B > A side. Each with LPF off and LPF on. Not remotely scientific but a useful reference. There are some extra details on the soundcloud.

I'm gonna have a lot of fun with this thing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Heh, good to see you both succumbed! 😁

I’ve now had a couple of rehearsals with mine and I still can’t say enough good things about it. You’re completely right that its versatility is absolutely as claimed, but I think what impresses me most is every sound I get out of it is usable. Every time I think I’ve got a favourite setting I try something else and it’s just as good. 

• Like 1

I want to know more! I play neosoul and punk rock, im always in search of those 3 tones: Motown phat clean, SVT esque clean with a bit of hair, and full whack distortion ala Lil Fella / Darkglass b3k…

it could replace a couple pedals, like the fore mentioned lil fella and Blackstone Mosfet overdrive…

Well it plays nicely on my board, I've only tried it straight into my amp and using just the power amp of my head. I'll try it on a gig next week, but I'm confident it'll be a great di too. I was looking for something that would be a nice warm clean sound and sound good in my amp and as a di, I'm really happy so far.

A practical thing though, it's too tall to go on the top row of my angled pedal board, it won't fit in the case. I've ordered an agled xlr to make a patch cable so I can just plug in a cable at the side of my board. I've already done that for the jack cables, so it'll keep the jack and xlr outs side by side. 

20230210_102158.jpg

• Like 1

Yea, it's just a small thing and probably particular to me. I'm only keeping the Genzler REQ pedal on there for the hpf and lpf, I don't actually need the eq section now.

I'm sure I'll find a smaller filter pedal then I'll have a bit more room to play with.

I put the aguilar octamiser on because it's narrower than the OC2 and the korg tuner because it's a lot smaller than the TU3. I really don't want a bigger board though. 😄

3 hours ago, Ander87 said:

I want to know more! I play neosoul and punk rock, im always in search of those 3 tones: Motown phat clean, SVT esque clean with a bit of hair, and full whack distortion ala Lil Fella / Darkglass b3k…

it could replace a couple pedals, like the fore mentioned lil fella and Blackstone Mosfet overdrive…

These were really rushed and didn't spend any real time dialing stuff in but this is just my J4 into the Capo and straight into my Scarlett 2i2 and logic.

It's pretty rough but just to try and show a little diversity. Barely touched the EQ or made use of the J/F preamp blends either.

Edited by MrDinsdale
  • Like 2

At the risk of boring everyone to death, this thing is amazing. I've settled on a nice clean tone with preamp A and a small bit of grit when I add preamp B. I'll still use my B3k for full on drive.

Everything I played sounded great, it is so well designed.

20230210_194825.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MrDinsdale said:

oh. Uh oh. Gawd. Oh. It does have a good heavy grit eh…? Dang! The second tone sounds amazing for the type of distortion I like. 

Damn… I think I’m in trouble. It could even do fuzzy bit I can see from there….

how wide is it? Like an Alpha Omega/B7k kind of thing?

this could potentially replace the woolly mammoth, Blackstone Mosfet and lil fella and almost pay itself that way………

6EE4B1B8-DFCB-4CDB-93AD-4E9CF01F526B.thumb.jpeg.abbafb7c49e7626d6c11996c8d72c381.jpeg

Could do mini tuner, el capo and c4 synth (c4 would do chorus, octaver, filter and synthy lead stuff of course). 

HMMMMMM….!!!

6 minutes ago, Ander87 said:

oh. Uh oh. Gawd. Oh. It does have a good heavy grit eh…? Dang! The second tone sounds amazing for the type of distortion I like. 

Damn… I think I’m in trouble. It could even do fuzzy bit I can see from there….

how wide is it? Like an Alpha Omega/B7k kind of thing?

this could potentially replace the woolly mammoth, Blackstone Mosfet and lil fella and almost pay itself that way………

6EE4B1B8-DFCB-4CDB-93AD-4E9CF01F526B.thumb.jpeg.abbafb7c49e7626d6c11996c8d72c381.jpeg

Could do mini tuner, el capo and c4 synth (c4 would do chorus, octaver, filter and synthy lead stuff of course). 

HMMMMMM….!!!

Ah now, behave yourself @Ander87

• Haha 1

Well! I am back bringing some goodies - being the instagramslut™ I can be at times I took advantage of a post from Jad Freer's insta on 'DM us with any questions!'

I have to say they were super nice and answered my questions... Mattia was happy for me to post this here:

image.thumb.png.88c4887d32a0f7048548da03fdbc58dc.png

image.thumb.png.3627ac2d881a22f85ec71d7cb4832327.png

image.thumb.png.862f2d0377f62752ff456e7e00304d54.png

image.thumb.png.be3aa373af8226a3d2f350c7d8beb887.png

So in essence, yes it can do pretty high gain, not sure it gets to the level of Darkglass but still...

It could well replace my current gain stage (Blackstone devices mosfet OD, woolly mammoth, lil fella) to purchase a Capo for similar sale value of those... and leave space in my mini board for a C4 synth to put on the effects loop. That and a compressor and you'd have a pretty mighty mini board eh?

The links Mattia referred to:

Not maxed out

And this is 2:08, with gain at about 1-2pm on both A and B sides, potentially could work out for me squeezing it a bit more:

• Like 3

The clank style they described is pretty much exactly what the settings i settled on. It has a tone that's pretty Darkglass-like but without having that really recognisable Darkglass eq. 

Genuinely everything i try sounds great. It even plays nice stacked with other drives really well.

My current dilemma is if I should get rid of my Model Fet. It still adds something incredibly subtle that I can't quite seem to pin down further than it making the bass feel thicker. I think if it wasn't there I'd probably never notice in real terms. 

• Thanks 1

Aha! I love the darkglass clank but my gripe with DG is that it eats bass from the EQ all the time, making it thinner sounding. 

the Lil Fella is better in that end but I’m still to find a distortion that does me the same fat thick bassy tone as my clean…

• Like 1