Why become a member? ×

DI Recommendations

steviedee

• 9 months later...
On 02/02/2023 at 16:44, steviedee said:

Nordstrand Starlifter Preamp?

Phil Jones Bass PE-5 Preamp?

Has anybody done a test with both these preamps? I'm looking for something to drive FOH directly and play with inears. The thing is that, whatever I can find, there's no dealer anywhere that has 'em all in stock. 

I play fretless, fretted (both Jazz Basses), Music Man stingray, P-bass with flats and double bass. I want some tone shaping, but I don't care for a distortion or other effects. I already got a Origin Effects Cali76 which is absolutely fantastic, so I like it simple and straight forward. 

I need the high impedance input for the piezo of the double bass. And I want a clear and crispy sound overall. I looked at several options:
Nordstrand Startlifter
Phil Jones PE-5
Two Notes Revolt
EBS Stanley Clark
Even gear like the new NUX, IK Multimedia's Tonex or more analog stuff such as Markbass Vintage Pre, Tech21, Ampeg, DSM & Humboldt Simplifier Bass, Ashdown Pro DI and the lot. 

Every time I think I found it, something seems to be missing in the design. No HPF, no high impedance, no tuner out, no AUX or headphones... maybe I should develop my own! Too bad I don't know anything about electronics. 

I live in The Netherlands and the budget is something around €300 to €600. But solving the quest is more important than saving money.

So please share you're experiences...

On 02/02/2023 at 16:44, steviedee said:

Nordstrand Starlifter Preamp?

Phil Jones Bass PE-5 Preamp?

Has anybody done a test with both these preamps? I'm looking for something to drive FOH directly and play with inears. The thing is that, whatever I can find, there's no dealer anywhere that has 'em all in stock. 

I play fretless, fretted (both Jazz Basses), Music Man stingray, P-bass with flats and double bass. I want some tone shaping, but I don't care for a distortion or other effects. I already got a Origin Effects Cali76 which is absolutely fantastic, so I like it simple and straight forward. 

I need the high impedance input for the piezo of the double bass. And I want a clear and crispy sound overall. I looked at several options:
Nordstrand Startlifter
Phil Jones PE-5
Two Notes Revolt
EBS Stanley Clark
Even gear like the new NUX, IK Multimedia's Tonex or more analog stuff such as Markbass Vintage Pre, Tech21, Ampeg, DSM & Humboldt Simplifier Bass, Ashdown Pro DI and the lot. 

Every time I think I found it, something seems to be missing in the design. No HPF, no high impedance, no tuner out, no AUX or headphones... maybe I should develop my own! Too bad I don't know anything about electronics. 

I live in The Netherlands and the budget is something around €300 to €600. But solving the quest is more important than saving money.

So please share you're experiences...

5 minutes ago, Maplestiltskin said:

EBS Stanley Clark
Every time I think I found it, something seems to be missing in the design. No HPF, no high impedance, no tuner out, no AUX or headphones... 

The EBS Stanley Clarke has all of those.

A possibility would be the Radial Tonebone. I use the Tonebone OD (there was one for sale on here a few weeks ago for a good price). There are two channels, one with ‘drag’ control, so great for piezo, both channels have HPF and mid eq points. The unit is ideal for dual bass duties. I also run an Empress para eq for DB if I’m thumping with a R’n’R band to tame feedback. 

I’ve never used one but should the Fishman Platinum Pro be on the list? I don’t think it has aux in or headphone out, but it looks like it does the other stuff, and people seem to rate them. 

My preamp-DI of choice is the Aguilar Tone Hammer, but their AG preamp pedal looks good too. Have used the EBS and it doe the job really well. Sansamp VT or Bass Driver are great, but do have a very specific tone. Happens to be one that most people like though… The Sadowsky SBP is great for super-clean bass, but very limited options.

On 01/02/2024 at 20:08, nekomatic said:

I’ve never used one but should the Fishman Platinum Pro be on the list? I don’t think it has aux in or headphone out, but it looks like it does the other stuff, and people seem to rate them. 

I used the Fishman Platinum Pro, which was great, until recently, replacing it with a Grace Design Alix.