Why become a member? ×

A lot of selling going on

Aidan63

19 hours ago, Aidan63 said:

fair price ? 99p start auction on Ebay and let it run and it sells for what the market will pay that day, occasionally someone gets a bargain, but mostly they sell for a fair and fairly consistent price; I think people are a bit optimistic about the worth of second hand instruments that have had a life and come with no return, no cooling off period, no warranty - and often they won't post; the online shops sell new, with shipping and warranty and return policies, and there are thousands of new instruments being sold every week in this country, and some of the new stuff is very good value for money.  There's usually 1000 used basses for sale on Ebay and Reverb platforms with some sort of consumer protection, plus many more for sale of FB etc...

The good stuff generally gets held onto and played, a lot of stuff just changes hands often on the basis of buying 2nd hand to try something different and 'you won't loose much' which is a mantra repeated on here a lot to newbies. The stuff that has sold of the 196 listed was almost I think without exception priced lower than most would ask for the same instruments, being sold to be played not to appreciate in value. 

I know shoot the heretic😵

I agree. While an instrument is only worth what someone will pay for it, I think we can all agree that most, if not all, instruments have a rough market value (you're not going to sell a Wal for £200, although I think some poor chaps probably did do that in the 90's).

You'd think given money is tighter for most, you'd see basses actually going for more competitive prices, as there's less willingness, perhaps, to part with large sums as people tighten their belts - but I don't see this at all ATM outside of Basschat. What I'm seeing a lot of late is a propensity to go well above that value on other selling sites, which is fine, if the market will bear it and people will buy at those prices, but they often don't, and you see the same instruments knocking around for ages, before they invariably accept an offer, or price it more in line with the rough market value.

Maybe Basschat tends to be better in that we're (mostly) well versed in buying and selling all sorts of stuff, and are quite exposed to what things will actually go for, etc.

I'd also add, that in my experience, the brand of bass goes a long way. Some brands just aren't that popular with the wider bass playing populace, regardless of how much it cost the original owner, your potential market to sell to is much smaller than Fender and the like, so you're going to take a hit, more often than not.

Edited by 40hz
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Sercet said:

In the old days (before the internet), second hand goods sold for roughly half the new value.

...then some bright spark realised that if you wrote 'L@@K, VINTAGE - RARE LAWSUIT PRE CBS LIMITED SIGNATURE 1of1 MINT' you could sell it for twice as much as it went for in the first place. Magic!

• Haha 3

On 02/02/2023 at 11:54, police squad said:

ebay fees make it a waste of time these days. I have had much more success on here

We used to sell collectable on feebay some years ago. Sent them all over the world.

We stopped because of the thieves among the buyers. Didn't get it, doesn't fit, the box was empty, it arrived broken (here is a photo of the broken one I already had)

E bay and pay pal always favored the buyer which is pretty dumb as buyers never pay fees. Dogs and hands that feed come to mind but they are too stupid to see it. They are killing their own business and taking many other little sellers down with them.

We gave up on them Good riddance!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ralf1e said:

We used to sell collectable on feebay some years ago. Sent them all over the world.

We stopped because of the thieves among the buyers. Didn't get it, doesn't fit, the box was empty, it arrived broken (here is a photo of the broken one I already had)

E bay and pay pal always favored the buyer which is pretty dumb as buyers never pay fees. Dogs and hands that feed come to mind but they are too stupid to see it. They are killing their own business and taking many other little sellers down with them.

We gave up on them Good riddance!

Yep, my brother is a professional record dealer and he says the same.

• Like 1